1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Easter egg hunt??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robustheologian, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasn't really mocking Baptist history or God's truth. I was mocking you, which is far different.

2. Edward 1689er

Edward 1689er New Member

Thank You. YOU Did "it" again!! They will worship you for Your Mocking!!!!!!

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There are lots of things that we do only a daily basis that have a former tie to paganism but that doesn't stop us from enjoying the day. Just because something has a past history associated with idolatry doesn't currently make it idolatry. Good grief! Some folks need to loosen their shoe laces. The blood flow to the common sense part of the brain has been cut off.

4. Edward 1689er

Edward 1689er New Member

Dear Sir,

What is "your" position on this "board?'

Thanks again!!!!!

5. Edward 1689er

Edward 1689er New Member

A FOOL who NEVER COULD UNDERSTAND BASIC, 101 HISTORY! Your right, ALWAYS!!!!!!

6. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist

wow you answered your own question.

I'm out of this.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhh, another Calvinist exhibiting the love of Christ.

8. Edward 1689er

Edward 1689er New Member

Another Friend, On THIS SITE!!!!!!! Thanks Church of Christ!

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Egg hunts as a church growth strategy? Never heard of that.

Love and use the Lectionary, so not all Baptists stand against the church calendar. Nor has celebrating the resurrection or Advent been something Baptists have stood against.

Pentecost is coming, perhaps we'll get our act together and skip preaching about the Holy Spirit :tonofbricks:

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not exactly. If you go back to the 17th and 18th centuries, you will find little (or no) support for celebrating Easter of Christmas or the rest of the church calendar.

That changed (in regard to Christmas and Easter) after the Civil War, but there was considerable dissension even at the turn of the 20th century. And the dissenting voices were some of the most respected Baptist seminarians of the day, including H.G. Weston, president of Crozer Seminary, who at the Baptist Congress of 1890 opposed the entire concept of the church calendar, including Christmas and Easter, who considered the church calendar "in direct conflict with New Testament Christianity" and "in direct opposition to our whole history."

So the church calendar, including Christmas and Easter, is a relative novelty among Baptists.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should have been more specific in my comment.

And you are right about the rise in popularity of Easter and Christmas among Baptists. My point, poorly made, was more in a snarky, general sense about resurrection and the incarnation - which good Baptists have always held. Clearly a failed attempt.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So here is the question....should I belong to a church that has an Easter egg hunt...I'm thinking no. I'm thinking that they caved into the world.

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caving to the world--a human malady since before Lot's wife.

Try to find a group of believers meeting in a house. This does not guarantee soundness of doctrine, but it certainly may have less distractions--fewer Estrus egg hunts.

"Where ever two or three of you are gathered together, in My Name, there am I (I AM) in the midst." See also: "God does not dwell in temples made with hands..."

Worshipping God "in Spirit and in Truth" excludes the flesh expressly--a strange phenomenon in the wonder world of "what is wrong with it"?

"Not everyone who says Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom; but those who do the will of my Father."

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#53 Bro. James, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would that same church display a Christmas tree and greenery?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in fact they do that as well. In addition to walking a big heavy wooden cross through the town on Good Friday......YES!

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what way do you consider observing the tradition of displaying a Christmas Tree different than the tradition of an egg hunt? Not being argumentative, but curious.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see any difference....both are secular traditions from my viewpoint best kept at home for family events. Church should be about preparing the born again to go out into the world & bring Christs message to the world. Perhaps I don't see church so much as a gathering place where people can go on Sunday to worship & huddle together ...it is that & that's fine but I really see it as a boot camp for preparing for war (the war of evil, of sin of Satan) ....and the weapons are the Truth of the Bible, the different way we conduct ourselves (see Sermon on The Mount) & the love we show others even while being persecuted.

18. Edward 1689er

Edward 1689er New Member

Agreed. Great post!

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Last time I checked we don't live in the 17th or the 18th century. Just because they did or did not do something doesn't make it right or wrong if it is or isn't done in the 21st. I am more concerned about what the Bible says than modern or ancient opinions and traditions.

20. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Christmas trees and easter egg hunts show that a church has caved in to the world? No wonder your churches don't fit anyone anymore.