1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church "Fads" in our Generation

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Small groups were called "weekly class meetings" by the Methodists in the 1700s. See Wesley's "General Rules for These United Societies" for details.

2. christ centered

christ centered New Member

1. purpose driven life. It seems this study is everywhere in my community.
    2. praise music.
    3. dressing down for church. I see alot of people were just an old t-shirt and jeans to services.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Interestingly, each of the "fads" I've read (except for maybe Hal Lindsay's "Late Great Planet Earth") do indeed have their biblical place for the believer, but the problem seems to be the abuse of same. For example, I never had a problem with the Prayer of Jabez. I had a problems with the use of it to the exclusion of others. Same with WWJD. Great concept, but what about WWMD (Moses), WDDD (David), WWPD (Paul), or WWTHFD (The Heavenly Father)?

4. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Well, I'm glad to see that somebody has picked up on these "church fads." They make me nervous. They are nothing but dust in the light of God's word. I used to be a big Robert Schuller fan until I simply ditched him in favor of my present Christ-centered Baptist church. I actually feel damaged by Schuller! I cringe when I see a "church fad" making the rounds when all that these folks need is a good personal time alone with the Lord.

Seeing secular fads makes me cringe too. Examples are Elmo, Cabbage Patch dolls, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles...it all seems to choreographed somehow!!!!!!!!!

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Through all those fads God's word is still paramount. Jesus' program has not changed at all. It is still make disciples.

6. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

1. Yeah, it's great--we're using it as our adult Sunday school curriculum. It's so deep that it's hard to cover one day of it in just one hour, let alone an entire week!

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We still have "sword drills" and a bus ministry.

What about True Love Waits

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just so you don't add BOW TIES we'll be okay.

And they look really spiffy with my new double-knit leisure suit!

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I guess Purpose Driven Life is a fad, just as Experiencing God was a fad among others - but at least these are fads that drive people deeper in their Bibles and understanding of God and the Christian Life.

I am doing PDL right now in our church, we have separated the men and ladies - have some large group time and then split up into small groups.

I can find only good in the purpose driven life and am enjoying it very much

10. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Hey how about the one I call "Circus Church":
    Big ones, little ones, the bearded lady, mules in the gymnasium, the bird man, the tallest man the shortest lady, clowns acrobats and cotton candy, kite Sunday and the longest banana split in the world Sunday, drop super balls from the sky Sunday, or how about famous names.....The Colonel (Sanders), the Greaaaaat Bob Harrington.....the one and only chaplain of Bourbon Street. I forgot one...our old buddy Art (Linkletter). What about great voices...well the names and methods go on and on. All to be one of the fastest growing Sunday Schools in the nation. What a pity and I know God grows tired of Madison Ave techniques by those who say they are called of God to preach the gospel. One of the greatest things I have ever been taught is the point that God's methods are as important as His message. That's another thread for another time.
    Thanks ----Bart

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Here's a major church fad from the Victorian era: "Muscular Christianity," a reaction to the supposed feminization of the Church. The solution was health and physical exertion such as sports. Some "muscual Christianity" advocates went so far as to say you weren't truly a Christian without these qualities.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Wild At Heart by John Eldredge, currently making the rounds in church Bible studies. It's the latest attempt to revive "muscular Christianity."