1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church fights zoning ban on Bible class

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JamieinNH, Jul 22, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

ALEXANDRIA, Va., July 18 (UPI) -- A Virginia megachurch says that Fairfax County crossed the line when officials found that religion classes violated zoning laws.

In a lawsuit filed earlier this month, McLean Bible Church in Tysons Corner says that Bible study is an ordinary church service to its members and that banning the classes violates the First Amendment, the Washington Post reports. Students in the classes can get credit for them towards a Master's degree at the Capital Bible Seminary, and Fairfax officials say that means the church is running a college without permission.

The American Center for Law and Justice, a conservative group, filed the suit on behalf of the church.

Story Link

Jamie

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There is a line between teaching Bible classes and teaching seminary classes out of the church.

The article really does not address the details to really tell what the significance is. It almost sounds like they have an extension (satellite) campus for a seminary. That would get a little grey of an area - i.e., are they charging for the classes? Are the classes regularly open to people outside fo the congregation?

All said, I feel for the church, but I think the county feels they are in the right. I want to pull for the church. But, it is difficult to say, "I think the church is absolutely correct without further information."

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, if I take the classes online, would I then be subject to zoning laws for running a "seminary" in my house?

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, but if you took money from people to attend online classes on your property, especially if you provided the computers, then maybe you would be.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

After posting the question, I realized that where I live now, I would not be subject to any such laws, but where this story was posted probably. One more reason to stay here in Alaska where you will find a $4Million house right next door to a 120 sf house with the guy running a boat repair shop in his garage.