1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church History/anniversary

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by donnA, Aug 5, 2003.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hope this is the right forum, it seemed like the right one anyway.
    Sunday our church, Horse Cave Baptist will celebrate it's 135th. year annivesary. It was formed when 37 people decided there needed to be a Baptist church in Horse Cave. The first building was a joint effort built and used by the Baptist, Methodist, and I can't rememeber the other church. They met at different times of course. It was moved to it's current site in the 1930's, and the building we now use was built in 1958, when the old one was out grown. The name has even changed a few times, it was First Bapt church of Horse Cave, then Caverna Baptist(caverna is the spanish word for cave, and we are known as the cave area in Ky, the town used the name caverna for a while, we changed back when the town changed back), then, and I wish I could rememebr the date we changed to our present name,we joined the SBC in the late 1800's.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations to you and your church, Katie.

Have to admit I had to look on a map to even FIND your city. Atlas said 2500 and looks like it was bypassed by the freeway to the west.

Glad that such a region with such a great history can have a strong Baptist witness.

BTW, any other Baptist/baptistic type churches in Horse Cave, Cave City or environs? Church can't hang around 135 years and not have a few "splits" floating around!

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

There are a lot of baptist churchs in the area, in Horse Cave there is

Horse Cave Baptist SBC in town
    Friendship Baptist 1 mile from town
    Cedar Springs Baptist SBC 3 miles from town
    Pleasant Valley Baptist SBC 5 miles from town
    First Baptist Wigwam in town, very small

In Cave City
    Cave City Baptist SBC in town
    Harlow Chapel Baptist out of town
    Owen's Chapel Baptist out of town
    Caveland Baptist in town

Non of which are splits from our church, to the best of my memory or church has never had a split. But I think if I can rememebr I'll ask Ann, she keeps up with church and town history.

Thanks for asking Dr. Bob.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Congratulations to your church Katie!

Our church is celebrating 55 years this Sunday. It has had a few different names also. It started off as "Victory Baptist" church when five families originally split from another Baptist denomination.

When we finally got our own building, it was renamed "State Street Baptist" church because of the location.

We withdrew from another denomination and became an IFB church.

When we built our new church several years ago, it was renamed "Park Meadows Baptist" church, again, because of it's location.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

HI Katie! Will someone take pictures? It would be neat to see. I KNOW Sue will take pictures! LOL

Congrats ladies!
    Diane

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

We'll probably have plenty of pictures. Would love to post some but for some reason my scanner won't save pictures. So I might take my digital camera and get a few myself. But be warned my digital isn't the greatest.