1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church in Homes

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by csmith, Mar 28, 2005.

1. csmith

csmith New Member

Do any of you have church in yours or someone elses home?

I have started having a "church-like" service on Tuesday evenings in my home with a few families and it is a wonderful time.

It seems like many auditoriums leave everyone so disconnected from each other.

There are pros and cons to each. What do you think?

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are plenty of church members that have small group Bible studies in their homes. However, I see alot of people that start house churches just because they can't seem to get along in other churches.

In my opinion I would talk to my pastor about it. If he feels it would be good for the church then I would. If someone wants to start a home Bible study then that is fine, but do not forsake the fellowship of the local church.

In Christ,

Brooks

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Some folks believe you can't have church in a home, but the Bible says different.

4. csmith

csmith New Member

I am the pastor and there is no issue of "not getting along".

The local church isn't dependent on the building.

I am using my home as a mission to families outside our "typical church setting". I have to say that the services we have in our home are much more like the Scriptures allude to. No one even falls asleep. :D

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Amen.

I have been involved with a house church in the past. We broke bread, shared in song and hymns of praise, testimony and prayer, and the Word. I find nothing un-biblical about it.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is awesome. I think the "typical church setting" can be intimidating to some because of ingrained stereotypes and home churches and small groups that meet in homes are great "non-threatening" ways to reach out to folks.

I'm curious about how this jives with your statements about church not being for non-Christians that we discussed in a previous thread?

Although home churches work well in small groups, when things get bigger, it is advantageous to have a communal building for the sake of the homeowners who need to play host every time and incur many of the costs of running a church.

7. csmith

csmith New Member

Gold Dragon:
    Do you not forget anything?

Seriously, we have a communal building in which we have the "typical" services every Sunday and every Wednesday without fail.

On Tuesdays and some Thursdays my family along with another family from another church meet in our homes. We play games, pray, sing, Bible memorization, eat, etc. It is a great time and the whole family stays together ALL of the time. We don't send the kids off to play or get out of our hair. We, as families are growing and enjoying ourselves at the same time.

We do not specifically target lost families to join us, but we are thinking of creative ways in which we can reach them in our community. My house isn't really large, so we have to limit our fellowship to around 4 or 5 families--even at that, our house is busting at the seams.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ;)

Cool. It sounds like what you describe as a home church, many other churches would describe as a small group/cell group.

My wife and I host one at our house that meets every Wednesday and while we currently don't have any seekers in our group, it would be great to find ways to invite them. Our church encourages everyone to get plugged into one of our small groups that usually meets during the week in someone's home.