1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Letters

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Remember when Paul went up to Jerusalem after his conversion? The folks there wanted nothing to do with him because of Paul's reputation as a persecutor of believers. Barnabas (Acts 9) takes Paul with him and vouches for him. assuring the folks at FBC Jerusalem of Paul's genuine conversion.

Based on Barnabas' assurance, FBC accepted Paul's application for membership (accepted his desire to join with them). Had it been necessary, Barney could simply have written them a letter. A church letter. Get it?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

There's no Biblical precedent for a LOT of things we do as Baptists.

Of all the things to get all hot and bothered about, having a requirement of a membership class would be below having a Church "membership" list that includes people who contribute nothing to the church but the ink on the list.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The flip side of this issue- we once left a church on bad terms with the pastor- anyone who left the church left on bad terms, not just us.

We found another church we liked and said pastor refused to grant a letter- standard procedure for him in the case of anyone who left. Our new pastor knew his "style", so we simply joined by statement.

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

I don't even know where having a list comes from. Doesn't God already have a book of life with names written in it? He does.

When I started visiting my Church I was considered a visitor. After the 3rd time the pastor came up and smiled and said " your not a visitor anymore...see you next Sunday". I was kinda surprised but joyed. If I was going to be a regular attendee and contributing the way I was the Church welcomed me with open arms. My name was not recorded on a list in the church office....it is already recorded in the book of life.

I invited my sister to church and she hasn't been to church in 20 years. About the third time the pastor says " your not a visitor anymore...see you next Sunday". She has since gotten saved and hasn't missed a service yet!

My sister is a prime example. She hasn't been to church in 20 years because she fears the hurdles and extra things man adds to church. She just wanted to worship Christ and be welcomed. I think if my church had asked her to take classes and do a bunch of stuff she never would have returned. We let Christ determin membership and ultimately he will weed out who doesn't belong.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

There's a HUGE difference between church membership and who is in the body of Christ.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When churches conduct business there has to be a defined membership otherwise anyone can walk in off the street and be a part of making decisions in the church.

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And membership must be defined as "active", else you have disorder.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt. People who do not like membership and requirements might be a better fit in a house church. But the minute the church owns property all kinds of things become necessary.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

"He who owns the house, owns the church."

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It has been a minute since I have been in a church where church letters are that big of a deal any more. Years ago, a church I attended only accepted letters from like Baptist churches. All others were by statement.

I am not sure what the point is any more.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point should be what I brought up in the OP.

When you instally new SS teachers ( for youth) do you do a background check?

Do you want a convicited swindler to be your new church treasuer?

Gone are the days that you can "just" trust anyone.

Can a church afford to let just anyone in?

Several years ago my mom was attending a small IFB church. A new family was voted in - within months - some families had left. Within 18 months the church had folded.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We had a pastor years ago who used the church "letter" as a practical tool. When the church would get a request from a another church for one of our members who had joined that congregation, he would actually send a detailed response.

He would advise the church that, say, Tom has been a valuable member of our church. He has a teaching gift, he sings bass in the choir, he is faithful in his attendance and financial support. We commend him to your congregation.

It worked the other way as well. He might send a letter saying, Tom has not regularly attended our church for several years, and has not participated in the life of our congregation. We are pleased that he has found a place of service with you.

Or, the letter might say, Tom has been a member of our church for many years, but he's a bit of a troublemaker. If you accept him as a member, keep and eye on him.

Now that's a real church letter.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent button has been hit:thumbsup: