1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church membership for pastor/called staff

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gary D, Aug 2, 2006.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

WE have always joined that first Sunday. I suppose it could be done by the clerk sending for it, but its a visual reminder that we want to join with this family.

2. Gary D

Gary D New Member

I have learned that neither minister nor family member has joined the church. After studying the constitution, it is not stated as a requirement. But to serve on a committee, a person must be a member. Here’s where the problem comes in, some of the family members would like to serve on a committee, that’s where I object. Others say it’s not that big a deal. Why do we even have a constitution then??? Pray for me as I am very confused. I just want to serve Jesus, not be a troublemaker and hinderance.

#22 Gary D, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2006
  3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like the formal joining of the church -- like Tater said, it's a visual reminder.

But, I find it odd that some pastors never move their membership. I just always thought that the pastor was a member in order to lead the membership.

Gary D., I understand your concerns and I think it is a big deal. If we make an exception to the church constitution for anyone, then where is the line drawn.

4. PeterM

PeterM Member

Just as a matter of integrity for me...

When I have preached in the church where I belong and come to the time of invitation/committment, I always include an opportunity to join the church.

How can a pastor who is not a member of the church he pastors make that same declaration?

5. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

Questions:
    Can the family of the pastor or assistant pastor who is not a member of the church vote in the business meetings? If they live in sin, can they be disciplined by the church? If they are not members of that particular church, are they allowed to partake of the elements in the Lord's Supper?

From my experience even as an interim pastor, I publicly untied with the church on promise of letter from the church that held membership in. Once the church found them a pastor, I rejoined the church that I had left. Then a few months later I was called to a church to serve as fulltime pastor where I am today. All those questions that I had mentioned above are important aspects to consider.

6. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Hey everyone, the pastor and family joined Sunday! And the Youth Minister will too! We are also ammending our laws to state such. God bless each of you!

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Awsome!

Reckon ya'll just grew a little.

;)

Wayne

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Good news Gary!

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

and so ends another episode, like sands in the hourglass...