1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church membership

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformed, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ...elective profiling...

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With some of the heated discussions that go here that doesn't surprise me... Brother Glen:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some people who have been so traumatized by church dissension and breakups that they hesitate to join a church.

They may be regular attenders and participate in ministries and contribute to the church, but they hesitate to join because of their spiritual PTSD.

They should be encouraged, but the honest among them know that they cannot participate in things that require membership. If they object, they are just squealing without understanding.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    my previous church was the first one in which I signed a membership card. And that was where I had a total shift in thinking in regards to church participation.

I was always one who held to the idea that you don't have to sign a membership card. Christ died for every believer, no need to section ourselves off. I can attend every week whether I'm a member or not.... yada yada yada

But at that church, I really felt impressed by God that it's not just about me. it's not just about me taking a stand, planting my feet in the ground. There's a whole body to consider. And if he had called me to that body, and the entire body thought it was of utmost importance to have a membership card signed, then maybe I needed to lay down my self-centeredness and be part of a body mindset.

Incidentally, it was at that church I stopped "attending" and it became a place to which I belonged - which just happens to be their slogan: a place to belong

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand my friend's situation. I am glad that he and his wife have found a sound church to attend, and by every outward measurement, they are part of a local body. All I can do is pray for him and be an encouragement.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and unless you have walked in another mans shoes how can you judge the action he takes... You can tell another mans story but you haven't lived it or are living it... We can only give our opinion as it relates to a church situation comparing it with our own, then again we may be in error... Yes all you can do for your friends is pray and encourage them... Brother Glen:)

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont fully agree - - lets say a man robs a bank - we will say what he did was wrong. But supposes he says he had a good reason - and since we have not walked in his shoes, why should we condemn him for robbing that bank.

WE believe that we should join a local church - and if we dont, then we are not in the will of the Lord.

8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what you are saying is because I didn't join a certain church I am robbing the Lord?... I'm I robbing the Lord or robbing myself of the precious treasures I could receive from his bounty in serving him worth more that the riches of all the banks in the world?... Brother Glen:)

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being willing to become a member of a local church grants to you the privileged to do things such as voting, teaching etc!

10. Felipe Rios

Felipe Rios Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each body of Christ is local and visible. I believe the church is always local so
    Well I believe the "church" is always a local body so membership is vital. I think they have an unbiblical view of the church and the purpose of membership. They need to be taught the purpose of membership and if they want to get more involved they will submit to church authority.

11. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem, which the OP brings up, is that congregational church governance has no biblical support and is not evidenced in the early church. This is why I posted my tongue-in-cheek response about Calvin and the presbyters. Such a requirement for church membership and voting rights is a modern idea stemming from political systems rather than biblical support.
    The ideal church would have elders overseeing the spiritual condition of the body and deacons overseeing the physical needs. The elders would recognize those in the church with particular gifts and bless them to fulfill their gift within the body. Membership would be irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You can say the same about a man who left his wife and is shacking up with someone else but isn't willing to commit because he was "hurt" in his first marriage. I just don't buy it, to be honest. If it is a good church and the church that they wish to attend, then they should commit.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct! The early Church was not a social club and likewise was not structured as a social club.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    and just what is the purpose of membership?
    So what is it's true purpose?

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not every practice of the church is commanded in scripture, but not every practice is unbiblical. Is it unbiblical to have air conditioning, carpet, running water? How about pews, portable baptistery's, or midweek services? The early church never had to wrestle with the issue of local church membership because most places only had one church. When you left or were put out of the church , you had no other alternative. Church discipline was easier to administrator because there was no threat to leave for another church. Today is different. Making a formal commitment to a local body places one under the authority and oversight of that church. Godly pastors and elders are charged with caring for the believer's soul. Church discipline exists to keep a brother from the ravages of the world. Such care does not exist where there is no commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  17. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you that modern church governance as we often think of it in Baptist churches -- motion & second, all in favor, the ayes have it and all that. In many Baptist churches, decision making has degenerated into the 50.1% forcing their will on the 49.9%. The church should endeavor to come to the unity of the faith. It is not about majority rule, as in common democratic process. But the overall picture in the New Testament does not rule out the congregation in decision making. A body coming to consensus under biblical leadership is the pattern I see in the early churches.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW the church I served in as a elder
    did not use majority rule. We were elder
    ruled. A vote could remove a wayward elder but it required a super majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first Christians were accepted as members of the church based upon profession of faith in Jesus, and being water baptized, so is that not same for membership today in many churches?

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the same requirement for most New Testament churches. The membership then affirms the candidate for membership.