1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church music

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TJAcorn, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice the quote was from the NIV? :eek:

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Touche, Aaron, on the "point in time" of the invention of the items cited in my posta priori vs. the existence of music, etc. (popular culture) during the time of the writing of the NT.

However, I do believe that certain methods employed today are not wrong because the disciples did not mention their use in their writings. An example of this would be gospel tracts.[Yes, written communications, though not as easy as today, were available at this point of time in history.] As far as I know, Paul did not hand out "God's Simple Plan of Salvation" tracts on Mars Hill. Yet, we (Christians of all times and places since their original printing) have handed them out in the hundreds of millions. If the Bible is not implicit against a method by principle or direct command, are we not able to employ that method provided it "gives no offense that the ministry be not blamed"?

I know you feel God is implicit on various aspects of music ministry. Many on the board do not believe that to be the case, as you well know. I take a cautious approach to dogmatism on this issue since I work 6 days a week as a Minister of Music/Assistant to the Pastor in a local independent, fundamental Baptist church. The view is quite different from the inside, Aaron. Please trust me on this. Your dogmatism "sounds" great on an internet bulletin board, but doesn't always "wash" in the real world of local church polity and practice. [Please don't take that as a slam. That tone is not present, I promise!]

I am curious to see how the discussion proceeds. Keep posting and counter-posting. This has the potential to accomplish something more than treading water if we are careful to "keep the compass pointing North."

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daniel,

I have never seen any of your posts as a slam. I always think them to be reasoned responses in a debate.

I agree that simply because something is not recorded about the Apostles that it is not necessarily forbidden (neither is it necessarily approved). Though we're never told, it's a safe bet they had to use the toilet sometimes. :eek:

However, in Acts 20:35 Paul holds his manner of ministry up as a model for the Ephesian elders to follow. Where a model is provided in the Scriptures, I think it is a safe bet that what is not emphasized is of little worth to God. In fact, in these cases we ought to give more heed to those things upon which Scripture shines the spotlight, and think little upon those it does not.

4. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Fantastic point at the end of that post, Aaron. Please see my posts titled "Finally, an answer to the KJV issue" in the Bible versions/translations forum. This was my whole point in starting that thread...why don't we do what God needs us to do and wants us to do in the Christian life rather than focusing on things that distract us from His purposes? PLEASE GO READ THAT THREAD IN THE FORUM MENTIONED. There are so many basic things we need to do in the Christian life that we're NOT doing. Way to go, brother, in pointing this out to us...thanks, also, for understanding my spirit/tone in my posts. I have respect for you, Aaron, though I may disagree with you at times; but, I never wish to be disrespectful or harsh. You no doubt have read my public posts when I feel that I may have gone over the edge in the tone or spirit in a post. I am always sorry for that kind of conduct.

Let's keep rollin' the thoughts, brother.... ;)

[ March 10, 2002, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the good tone in this discussion, that no one is harping on any bad note. Pulling together and making harmony in your hearts blesses mine!

6. Daniel

Daniel New Member

This is by far the best tone to have, Dr. Bob. If you read my FINALLY, AN ANSWER TO THE KJV ISSUE you will see the same thing...and that is HIGHLY UNUSUAL in the Bible versions/translations forum. You know that...but was my purpose in starting that thread--to show that there COULD BE posting with civility in a normally VERY UNCIVIL forum.
    After all, we do claim to be Christians, don't we?
    Let's bear His name properly in all we say and do. If we offend, let's be quick to apologize.

[ March 11, 2002, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Daniel ]

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob,

We would never want to cause any treble among the members or staff here. [​IMG]

Daniel,

You are too kind. Really. [​IMG] But I think you misunderstood me. When I said something was not of much worth to God, I wasn't talking about the debate over the issue. I was speaking about music ministry as it is generally understood. So when I said we should not focus on those things of little worth to God, I meant that music ministry (as we generally understand it) should have little to do with Christian ministry or worship.

God certainly is concerned if vain things are being substituted for truly spiritual, Christian worship.

[​IMG]

[ March 11, 2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

After reading this, I went over and read that thread and you said alot of good things. The two issues IMHO are closely related (even though there are those like BJU that hold one and not the other). But they stem from the same mindset. (Older is better, conspiracy to erode culture, etc.) May people begin to apply the principles you mentioned to both issues.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

But there's quite bit of rock, country, pop and swing that does have a great amount of substance.

Likewise, most of the hymns we sing are "easily digestable".

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Depends on the church and where God is leading that church.

As I do in church? No.

Again, I don't know. There are too many variables at play for me to say.

When I was on the worship team at my church, we would decide based on what the preacher was preaching on that day and how the song fit with the message, mostly.