1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church of Christ Debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

John 3
    1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
    3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
    5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
    9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things be?”
    10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things?

Nicodemus immediately thinks Jesus is speaking of physical birth when He says one must be born again.

Jesus responds by saying "that which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit". The new birth is spiritual not physical and has nothing to do with the physical.

Jesus confirms that Nicodemus is looking at the new birth from a physical standpoint when He says "you do not know these things?".

Jesus was speaking of the spiritual while Nicodemus is thinking only of the physical.

2. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Then I must ask, why in V.12
    Joh 3:12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? (KJV)
    did Christ indicate He had been speaking of earthly things if He was speaking only of spiritual birth ?

3. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I would guess those terms are colloquialisms, and I'm sure amniotic fluid is mostly water, just as we are. (70%, I think) So, to the average person amniotic fluid appears to be water. Also, I'm sure that when a doc is talking to another doc he would more likely refer to the substance as amniotic fluid.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Possibly because the Jews did not even understand the coming of the Kingdom of God on earth, much less the spiritual aspect of it.

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Here is some help for Church of Christ error, but few are able to see clearly. I believe the Book of Acts can help us all if we spend a little time there. As it begins we see the gospel of John the Baptist, which is the gospel of the "Kingdom of heaven is at hand" is still being offered. But also should come to understand Israel was cut-off from that "Kingdom that was at hand" when they stoned Stephen a year after Pentecost came. Changing from one Gospel (which is not another gospel-Galatians 1:6-7) to another takes time, and as we move through Acts we find we are to disassociate ourselves with the gospel of the "Kingdom is at hand" for the Old gives way to the New.

The Grace of God without works can only begin after our Lord Jesus spoke to Paul on Damascus Road - Acts 9. Scripture tells us Paul's gospel is far different than that of John the Baptist who was only concerned with his people Israel, as was Jesus and Jesus' Apostles. Jesus tells the world He did not come for the Gentile dogs, but only for His very Own People - Matthew 15:16. The Gentile could come as a proselyte but could not enter into the "inner court" of the Temple, and could not eat at the same table with Jesus, his Apostles or those of the "Kingdom is at hand gospel". When that "Kingdom church" does come, after the "Body Church" is caught up we find in scripture the "Gentile" will forever be subject to the Jew".

Why do people today wish to be tied to those that were under law and those Ordinances and religious Rites? Saul/Paul was baptised by Ananias as that was all that known at that time, but we see Paul baptized few, stopping when Christ Jesus informed him baptism was was no longer necessary for him to do, I Corinthians 1:17, of which you mentioned, then further down we see WHY.

By the time we come to the ending of Acts we can see the purpose of God is being carried out with the gospel to the Gentile (all Jews today are as I, a Gentile and must come just as Paul teaches). Sometime after the closing of the Book of Acts, and In Gentile territory (a Roman jail), Paul gives us the Epistle Ephesians with wording such as Chapter 4:3-6, "Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
    4. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
    5. One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
    6. One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."

In all of scripture we cannot the the "Body of Christ" until Paul, and no other Apostle was given authority to tell us about this. We should leave the OLD behind for we now have the NEW. The OLD "Kingdom at hand" approach will insure of going through the tribulation; while the NEW will assure we will be "caught up to Him in the air" before the tribulation begins.

6. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Then are you saying that Christ changed from speaking directly to Nicodemus to the whole of Israel ? The passge must be taken as a whole. Christ used earthly terms to explain rebirth. Speculation is ok when we do not have context but we do a one on one conversation with Nicodemus. V.12 is a reference to the whole conversation as far as I can see. But maybe I see wrong, it has happened before.