1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Planting Doctoral Programs?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by El_Guero, Aug 9, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brothers,

Does anyone know anything about Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, IND? They are the first doctoral program that I have found that looks like I might be able to work on while church planting. No need of quiting church planting just to get better at it. ;)

Are they conservative enough that I won't get into too much trouble? ;)

Does anyone know of any other church planting programs?

God bless

Wayne

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    EG Response

EG,

It was nice to hear from you via the PM.

You may not know, but the Concordia Seminary that you asked concerning is the (only?) seminary of the Luther Church-Missouri Synod I think. It was the one that took back their denomination from the slide into liberalism I do believe. Say "fundamentalist" Lutheran if that will give you any insight.

They have impeccable credentials academically. They are RA as well as ATS accredited. There are some drawbacks however. These are the same type of drawbacks I found when I did my doctoral work @ The University of the South's School of Theology which is liberal Episcopal. And many of the same type issues I encountered when I did one of my Master's @ Harding University's Grad School of Religion which is the Churches of Christ seminary. It is a real stretch for a conservative Baptist to make the transition. Although some of my best learning was done "in these alternative cultures."

You will have to learn "to do like the Romans do when in Rome." There will be a learning curve b/c the ethos and pathos is so very different. But I would encourage you to try it. It really does help to train us Baptist that we truly do not have a lock on the Gospel or truth. We really are "johnny come lately" to the denominational scene.

I did not look at the tuition rate on the web page but my thought is that it will be super expensive.

One question:
    You said you were doing church planting now. Did you see that they have a PhD in Missions? I found that very very interesting.

Get back on the BB or PM and let me know what you think. I am very excited for you and the way this experience might enhance your ministry.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Their pricing was not entirely astronomical.

I have not found any PhD programs that might allow commuting. And I have only found a couple of DMin programs.

I am thinking about an SBC PhD. But, two things come to mind (1) all SBC education can make a dull boy, and (2) there are limitations to what the same experience can teach.

4. MorganT

MorganT New Member

A friend of mine is a church planter he is part of Biblical Ministries Worldwide and sends out a monthly Email to anyone that wants it. I will copy and past his last Email for you in case you want somemore info.

Dear Friends,

We have now completed the three weeks of Candidate orientation (July 10-27), and we praise the Lord for the twenty new candidates accepted this year. The first week of July we enjoyed being involved in an Administrator’s retreat here at BMW. During this retreat we learned much from a seminar on Situational Leadership, which gave us many ideas to apply in our ministry and will enable us to serve people better.

We were involved in many ways with the candidates. I taught three classes and did a doctrinal interview with each candidate. Amy helped Vince and Jill in the kitchen, and had a Ladies Tea in our home for the candidate women. The second week we hosted the Representatives Retreat. We enjoyed a great week with these wonderful people that represent BMW so effectively. The last week I hosted the pastors of candidates who came to be with and encourage their new missionaries.

On Friday, July 28, we had a meeting with the church planters for the Southeastern USA. I serve as Field Leader for this ministry and we are launching plans to see a church planting movement across the Southeast USA. Our networking meeting really went well that day. We have three couples with BMW who will be involved and are working with 7 others. We will continue to keep you updated on this ministry and you can get some info by checking my new blogspot. Yes! I do have a new blog spot and trust you will enjoy keeping up with us there. http://www.jerrysmithbmw.blogspot.com/ Check it out.

Our grandchildren are growing up and “leaving the nest”. We were blessed to spend some time with several of them this summer. Cara was home from Korea for a couple of months and we loved hearing about her ministry first-hand. She is now back in Korea and will be teaching at the Word of Life School of Youth Ministry for the next ten months. Eric worked at a wilderness camp this summer and has just been home for a week between camps. He will be returning to Calvary Bible College soon for his junior year. Kyle (from Michigan) stayed with us this summer and worked with a roofing crew. He just returned to Michigan to get registered for his second year of college. Amy finished up all the medical tests her doctor had advised and though we are waiting for the report on her last one, everything seems to be good.

Thanks for your participation in our ministry through your prayer, support and encouragement. We think of you often and thank God for each of you.

Jerry and Amy

Biblical Ministries Worldwide
    "A leader is a godly servant who knows where he is going and inspires and equips others to follow"

Jerry Smith
    Church Relations
    1595 Herrington Road
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043

[email protected]
    www.biblicalministries.org
    tel:
    fax:
    mobile:
    770-339-3500
    770-513-1254
    770-617-4609

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The SBC accepts many others from other backgrounds but others because of the SBC turmoil do not accept many from the SBC.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now that is a twist. Do you know of any good doctoral programs in church planting?

Wayne

7. RandR

RandR New Member

El,

I realize you said you're thinking Ph.D., but NOBTS has a D.Min with a church planting concentration.

If you're pretty set on a Ph.D., then you're probably more interested in research. In that case, you could probably do a Ph.D. in missions or evangelism and gear your research towards church planting.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    RandR & EG Response

And to all who have an ear:

I must apologize gentlemen. I have been remiss in the fact that I did not mention that my alma mater, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary's Billy Graham School, has PhD programs in World Missions, Church Planting, & Evangelism.

For anyone interested in those areas it would be a great fit. Check it out and get back to me on the BB and let me know what you think!

I hope that helps!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

R&R

I tho't they had a PhD in church planting by way of missions like some of the other SBC seminaries?

10. RandR

RandR New Member

Perhaps. The NOBTS catalogue I have does not list out a Ph.D. in church planting, specifically. But I'm quite certain that a Ph.D. in missions or evangelism could be built around a church planting interest.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Thanks!!!

I cannot remember where mine is.

Are there any other programs out there?