1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church-planting question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mexdeaf, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

How many churches did the Apostle Paul begin in his missionary career?

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe scripture identifies every church he planted in Acts. Many scholars believe he made a trip to Spain after his first imprisonment in Rome, and could have founded churches there, as well. There is no record in Acts beyond the first imprisonment, but we know from Romans he intended to go to Spain.

peace to you:praying:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks canadyjd. Anyone else? I know this is not a Cal/Armin subject and there fore not so 'interesting', but I would like more feedback.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Paul was used to increase the size of the one true Church Mexdeaf. :)

john.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if Paul ever started a church as we understand and apply the term today.
    I know that wherever he went there were already believers whom he then gathered and organized into groups called churches and whom he then taught.
    I think the pattern is true even with the Lord Jesus Christ.
    When He started His ministry there were already those whom the Holy Spirit had prepared for Him, and who knew, and did not just suspect, who He was.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

He generally did not go where there were already believers. romans 15 tells us just the opposite so that he would not build on another's foundation. We don't know how many churches he started. He would to a town, start preaching the gospel, organize the believers into a church, and then go somewhere else.

Why do you ask?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, I am preaching through 1 Corinthians and just wondering if there was any way to know how many churches Paul had a hand in starting. Also about how long he was at each place before he moved on.

Not trying to start anything if that's what you're wondering!:laugh:

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't konw if there is any way to know. You could go through Acts and count the cities, but I don't know if that would give a total number or not.