1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Polity

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by dan53, Feb 7, 2002.

1. dan53

dan53 New Member

What do you guys and gals think of an "Elder-led" model for church government ? This is of course contrary to Baptist heritage but I believe it is scriptural !

Comments ? :cool: :D [​IMG]

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Actually, not at all. You may mean recent history, but the pastor is considered an elder according to NT. The church is led by the elder(s), served by the deacons, and governed by itself.

3. dan53

dan53 New Member

We are starting with three elders (the pastor being the teaching elder) and then praying for deacons etc... This church has had a history of the traditional congregational government and is voting this Sunday to goto the Elder-Led model. :D :D

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dan53:
    We are starting with three elders (the pastor being the teaching elder) and then praying for deacons etc... This church has had a history of the traditional congregational government and is voting this Sunday to goto the Elder-Led model. :D :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good news. Deacons are not elders, and should not rule as such. Deacons are servants of the Body.

It helps if they are believers, too!
    :eek: :eek:

5. dan53

dan53 New Member

Sorry if I mis-spoke. I understand that deacons are NOT elders; I also understand that they are to serve. Just like all of us, they are servant leaders to the flock in which God has called them. We are raising our own up from our midst.

Dan :cool:

6. MarciontheModerateBaptist

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The church is led by the elder(s), served by the deacons, and governed by itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Tom. I think it would be more biblical for a church to be led by more than one elder. I do not think deacons should have any more governing power than the average member. The elders should be accountable ultimately to God, but also, in a sense, to the local body they serve.

Daniel Payne

7. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

What do you guys and gals think of an "Elder-led" model for church government ? This is of course contrary to Baptist heritage but I believe it is scriptural !

Comments ? :cool: :D [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the "Elder-led" model for church government. Most Baptist churches that have held my membership have one of the following models of church governance:

1. Pastor as dictator. Usually found in churches where the founding pastor is still pastor (requires the church to have been founded on this model).
    2. Deacons as perpetuating board of directors. Usually occurs in churches where pastoral tenures are short. In the absence of consistency in the pulpit, the deacons simply assume more and more control.
    3. Power families (this model is commonly called "congregational") rule. This model can happen along side #2. New pastors are usually warned of who these folks are (often by folks who are on their way to another church) and how they should finesse them.

My opinion is that we Baptists like our own control so much that we refuse to even consider a model that has multiple elders.

8. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Wow. I didn't know there were so many Baptists who are willing to be biblical rather than denominational in their church polity.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sheesh Daniel. Good thing your new member name isn't long :D

10. MarciontheModerateBaptist

11. Pioneer

Pioneer Guest

If a church has thousands of members (like NT churches did) then I could see having more than one pastor. But most Baptist churches today have less than 150 people, so one pastor is adequate. ;)

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Pioneer ]

12. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

You guys are so right!

Eldership is much more biblical and causes fewer problems.

Here's a link to a good article and book on the subject.

Biblical Eldership

Trevor

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Churches are indeed led by the elders, by example and through the preaching of the Word. But be careful, elders are NOT to be lords over God's flock, but examples.

Sounds as if the Baptists in general are going the way of Rome.

14. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Where on this thread do you get that idea?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This church has had a history of the traditional congregational government and is voting this Sunday to goto the Elder-Led model. :D :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where.

16. TJAcorn

TJAcorn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    But be careful, elders are NOT to be lords over God's flock, but examples.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What! Why?

Scripture?

Not much substance in that argument there bud.

Trevor

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Peter 5
    2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
    3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
    4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

18. dan53

dan53 New Member

The very reason the church is going to the
    elder-led model is because the previous leadership ( a typical Baptist family) ran the pastor and the church. The church body decided they wanted more of a check and balance approach and most of all and more scriptural model then they have had in the past. those who say that this is to "lord it over them" may have those issues to deal with in their own sphere of influence. [​IMG] :cool: :cool:

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think we need to make a distinction here. Elders are to be the spiritual leaders. The church is still to be congregationally governed. To be governed by elders makes a church more of the presbyterian type and not baptist.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    I think we need to make a distinction here. Elders are to be the spiritual leaders. The church is still to be congregationally governed. To be governed by elders makes a church more of the presbyterian type and not baptist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point Tom. Many, as mentioned above, shy away from the biblical model because of abuses. There is no reason to leave a biblical model to go to an elder run church.

I think we also need to do away with the trend that requires multiple or plurality of elders. While I have no problem with a plurality of elders for churches who need them, there is no biblical command to have more than one. Even in cases with a plurality, there is, of necessity, a single head. I have a hard time with a Baptist church that is run by a plurality of elders. That sounds very Presbyterian to me and is not the biblical form of government.

I also think we need to define elders biblically. Many times, it seems the elders are a board that makes decisions for the church. Biblically speaking, the elder is a pastor and overseer, whose responsibility is to lead, shepherd, and teach the flock. There are far too many churches, IMHO, who have elected men out of the congregation to be elders who they never intended to be a true elder--a pastor.