1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Renewal?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, May 1, 2009.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

I am a subscriber to several health & wellness websites. This came into my inbox yesterday and while the article was at times, frustrating and downright annoying to read, I found that there was a lot of truth to the article. Dr. Anderson doesn't pull any punches in his assessment of modern church. Thought you all might enjoy reading the article.

http://mattcoyote.com/churchrenewal.html

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I think he has one huge wrong assumption.

That Christ's church is dead.

That is a dangerous teaching and one that cannot be supported in Scripture.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There may be individual churches that don't have much appearance of life, but THE church is alive and well.

4. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I think the writter is expressing death as a whole. Your church might be doing just fine but as a whole the body is most assuredly not what whe used to be and since we are on the same team the whole picture is what we need to be concerned about.

If you are a Southern Baptist then go look at the baptism numbers...they are on the decline. Not that I believe that "good" numbers mean "good" people...but there is something to be said for the decline.

And what about the churches morality in the past 30 to 50 year? Do we believe that has gotten better? Just look at the divorce rate. Take a poll of the people in your church and ask about abortion, homosexuality, divorce, etc.. and see what you get.

So maybe she is not dead...that would be incorrect...but she is most certainly dying. Something needs to be done. That is what Dr. Anderson is pointing out in the article.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Instead of saying the "church is dead"....why not say that the church is filled with spiritual babies, or folks with shallow faith?

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

"THE" church will never be dead.