1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church search

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by bgoc bryan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

My wife and I just moved to a new area 200 miles away from home. We have visited 3 Baptist Churches so far. 2 have had guest preachers and one seem to have staff problems. The Church we liked is without a Pastor. I've been blessed the Pastor at our home Church has been with us since I was 4 years old so I've never seen a change in the pulpit. The 3 things we were led by the Lord to look for was activities for the kids, good Sunday School and strong leadership form the Pastor. So I guess my ? is would you join with a church in search of a pastor?

2. NateT

NateT Member

That depends on several variables. Such as, why are they without a pastor? Did he leave on his own? Was he forced out? Were there problems that contributed to him leaving? Did he retire? etc.

Additionally, I think you could see a lot about a church without a pastor. Does the whole thing fall apart? If it does, then chances are you will find yourself in this position several times (every time you're without a pastor.) Does it run reasonably well, and there hasn't been a significant decline in attendance? Then it shows that the church probably doesn't exist based on the pastor.

If I thought the church was Biblical and healthy, I wouldn't have much of a problem joining without a pastor. Plus, if I join, I get to help vote on the next pastor.

3. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

I don't know any of the details of how they came to be without a Pastor or what their plans are. had they not ask if I was the guest Preacher I may not have known the church was without. I would say the body is lead by Jesus and thriving.

4. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

The bottom line must be is it God's will. This is not like looking for a new car or home. You do not pick a church because of what you are going to get from it but rather what you can contribute. Too many people shop for a church in a very carnal manner.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I would definitely find out why they are w/o a pastor, but to be a thriving church w/o one? that would be out of order, somebody is to be the leader as he follows Jesus.

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Have you run out of Baptist churches? If not, continue the tour. If yes, then you and your wife agree with each other after prayer which one God leads you to join. I'm adding my prayer to yours. I pray that your new church home will be a glory hallelujah meeting place where your children can rejoice and be glad.

7. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Ask not what your church can do for you but what you can do for your church?

8. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

Thank you for the wise words. I will tell on myself a little. I have not prayed much about the Church we visited last week because we are going home this week and I am excited to be able to worship at our home church. I know I did not spell it out well, but our only goal is to do Gods will. We want to be where God wants us and do his work.

9. NateT

NateT Member

We have yet to put this in action, but some friends in another town told us they will never join a church without going to a business meeting. They had a really bad experience with one.

If the first meeting is really bad, you might consider going to a 2nd one. We've had our fair share of "out of character" meetings.

That will give you a clearer picture of what the church is really like. After all, by and large, the people at the meeting are the ones that are trying to keep the church going. If they are arguing and fighting...watch out.

Just like it's easy for a non-believer to look good on sunday morning, it's easy for a bad church to look good on Sunday morning.