1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Signs

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I have got to get something off my chest!! I can't stand many of the church signs that I have been seeing in my area of Georgia. I saw one today that said, "Our Sundays are better than Dairy Queens" Just last week there was one that read, "Churches are like sundays; mostly sweet with a few nuts" My wife saw one with lingo from rap music that said, "Get Crunk with Jesus"

How stupid is this?? Maybe its just me but I pray to God that people are not getting there theology from modern-day church signs.

What do you guys think?

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right now, ours says "Imperfect People Welcome." (We only have room for a few words.)

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

There is a church here locally whose website is:

IMPERFECTCHURCH.COM

sALTY

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church sign is not positioned where the full public can see it - only if you're driving in the church parking lot. Today it read "VBS Fair 6-8 PM". Tomorrow it will have the name of Sunday's message on it. That's about all that we put on it.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

My favorite is this one,

IF YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A SIGN FROM GOD TO COME TO CHURCH THIS IS IT.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

C'mon. Tell us what you really think about 'em. :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I'd suggest they did exactly what they were intended to do - catch your eye, briefly draw your attention, and 'tickle' your memory.

One of my favorites locally reads: SIGN BROKEN! MESSAGE INSIDE!

I like it, myself. :thumbs:

Our own church sign does not have a marquee board, only the name of the church on a painted sign board. Kinda' goes with a 150 yr. old main building, I'd say.

For other major announcements, we make a temporary banner between two stakes.

That is fine with me, as well. :thumbs:

I haven't seen one thing in the Bible about the 'style' of any church signs.

Ed

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Not too sure if this exactly qualifies as a "church sign" or not, but I do remember visiting a church in the Charlotte NC area some dozen or so years ago that had some signage that, if nothing else, got my attention.

The entrance road to the church facilities was a windy road that was signed as "Romans Rd." Around each bend on "Romans Rd." was a big sign on which was the verse in Paul's Epistle to the Romans that constituted a different, consecutive verse of the set of verses that comprise the so-called "Romans Road."

Even though I'd been saved for almost 30 years as I travelled down "Romans Rd.," the verses kinda made me feel as if I'd been preached to before I even got to the church's parking lot.

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I saw one yesterday that said "You think it's hot here?" I first heard that joke in 1970. No telling how old it already was back then.

I've noticed that some liberal churches, where the Scriptures are denied and the gospel hasn't been preached for a generation, use the same tidbits of wisdom that the believing churches use. To me it seems to trivialize the church's role as the proclaimer of God's revealed truth for an evangelical church to put up such commonplaces as "When you throw mud, you're losing ground."

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You want a laugh, and a groan at the same time? Visit this site, called Crummy Church Signs.

http://crummychurchsigns.blogspot.com/

To be honest, way too many signs are lame attempts at humor and cuteness.

I saw one around Mother's Day which said "God couldn't be everywhere, so he made mothers."

I can just imagine somebody driving by that sign or any sign and saying "Whoa, I've got to check out this church."

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom,
    That's a great site. I have had it in my favorites for a while. We just put general messages such as service times or special events. I am not smart enough to keep thinking about new sayings each week. And many of the ones I see so are "Christian speak" that an unbeliever wouldn't understand it and it would just seem weird to them.

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw a sign a couple of months ago that said, "The 10 Commandments are not an option."

Think about it.

peace to you:praying:

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once Again, There are MANY Opinions

Opinions can be a good thing, and this post is an example of differing opinions on churches using their [often] costly sign board to sport thoughts and phrases that minister and draw folks into their service.

Hey, if it works, I see nothing wrong with it. After all, how many churches use give aways, concerts, Vacation Bible School, etc., to fill the pews. If the words used on those costly sign boards don't offend, than to each their own! :godisgood: In a way, this is a kind of sign, isn't it???

Shalom,

Pastor Paul:type:

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I totally agree. I tend to be pretty critical of church signs. Most lack boldness.

I saw one once that said "Singing Christians here Sunday". Made me wonder why they weren't there every Sunday.

There has only been one I have really liked recently. I did my signature after it. (without the eek).