1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Tithing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have heard that the Church of God denomination has a system where each church in the denomination Tithes 10% of its income to the denomination headquarters. The finance is then shared around on various resources and projects.

I have heard of other churches that Tithe their first 10% of their income to missions globally.

Is this something that Baptist Churches do?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm SBC, and I honestly don't know. I do know that many denominations assess their affiliated churches based on reported membership. But Baptist denoms like the SBC don't necessarily operate in the same manner that other denoms do.

I personally am not in favor of nondenominational or indemendent churches. I think being affiliated with a denomination keeps the local church accountable. But that's strictly my $.02 and a personal preference, not a scriptural mandate.

3. Rookiepastor

Rookiepastor New Member

Johnv

Most SBC church send a percent of their undesignated offering to the cooperative program and also a smaller percentage to the local association that they belong to.

This all done on a voluntary basis by each individual church.

Some send a small percent while others choose to send a larger percent.

God Bless

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

My church {SBC} gives 20% to the cooperative program. In turn, they send 10% of this to missionaries.

MR

5. NateT

NateT Member

Just FYI in the SBC, of the money sent to the state association through the CP, on average 63% stays in state. Most state conventions are not funding international missionaries. So even if a church writes a check to the CP for 10% of their income, only 3.7% makes it to the SBC and then that gets split among coop programs.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The COGC and Foursquare Churches both tithe to their headquarters. In both denominations, the churches are not independent and the properties are owned by the headquarters. I checked via the internet and found that tithing is part of their statement of doctrine. On the other hand, the Southern Baptist Faith and Message does not mention tithing even though it has a paragraph on stewartship. IMHO not mentioning tithing was wise since requiring tithing for Christians cannot be directly supported by scripture. Don't misunderstand me, I think tithing is a good system for churches to adopt and follow. Tithing was a part of the Jewish law and not required in the New Testament for Christians. When Jesus said to the Jews concerning tithing 'these things you should HAVE done and not let the others undone', He was talking to Jews still under the law when sacrifices were still being made in the Temple, i.e. the law was still in effect.

The tithing procedures for the Hebrews to follow are given in Deut. Chapters 12 and 14. Deut. 14: 22-27 indicates that the tithe cannot be given as money, but must be in the form of sacrificing animals or produce. In both Duet. 12: 4-7 and Duet. 14: 22-27, the tither and his household were to be the first to partake of the tithe and then share the rest of the tithe with the Levites. In all my years, I never heard Deut. 12 or 14 used in a sermon.

As indicated above, I believe tithing is a good system to adopt and follow. I have followed it all of my 53 years of Christian life. However, it can not be directly supported by scripture without some inventive interpretations.

7. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by drfuss: As indicated above, I believe tithing is a good system to adopt and follow. I have followed it all of my 53 years of Christian life. However, it can not be directly supported by scripture without some inventive interpretations.

Then why do you believe it to be a good system? Why have you done it for over 50 yrs? Why, if not supported by scripture?

Just seems to me that since tithing WAS NOT carried over to the church, then we should trust God and stop practising this unbiblical version of the tithe.

Giving from your heart is the N.T. way.

Soulman

8. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

So ..ahhh...drfuss...if,as you have demonstrated from Deut.12 & 14 that "tithing" isn't(Biblically speaking)done with MONEY,then just what have you been tithing with(Biblically speaking)all these 53 years of your Christian life?I also want to say that I have no desire to in any way belittle how you GIVE to God.To GIVE is wonderful...but for the New Testament Christian TITHING is neither commanded NOR SCRIPTURAL.We just need to get it straight.God Bless You.

Greg Sr.

9. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Was hoping to see ya out there Greg. Hope your Christmas was merry!

Soulman

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Christmas was wonderful and such a Blessing.I did have to endure a weeklong bout with the Flu the week after but I'm almost back to normal...besides..it allowed me to catch up on some of my reading.Here's a link that might interest you(I love this guy's website...the Blessed Quietness Journal)...buckle your seatbelt on this one!
    http://www.blessedquietness.com/journal/housechu/tithing.htm

Greg Sr.

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John please give detail on how "being affiliated with a denomination keeps the local church accountable."

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen the exact opposite too. Look at Methodists, United Christ of Christ, some Presbyterians, Episcopalians, etc. Aren't most liberal churches a part of a denomination? If a local independent church does not do its work, it just dies.

13. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Posted by Soulman in response to my post concerning tithing: Why do you believe it to be a good system?

IMHO tithing is as good as any system. Of course I gave more than the tithe when felt led to do so. The churches I attended believed in tithing, so I participated. Many churches use O. T. Scriptures out of context to imply that tithing is required by Scripture. I only gave my tithing history here so that others would not think that I took this position to avoid paying tithe. Perhaps I should not have said 'I tithe', Rather I should have said I gave at least a tenth.

14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

In response to my post on tithing, Gregory Perry Sr. questioned why my tithing was with money when using money as tithe was not allowed in Duet. 14. Giving a tenth is a system I have chosen to follow. Perhaps I should not use the term 'I tithe' since some may interpret it to mean tithing in accoedance with O.T. tithing. Many Christians believe tithing is a requirement since some churches use O.T. scriptures to invoke it.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

OK drfuss.....you are in fact "giving" even if you have mistakenly called it a "tithe".I applaud your faithfulness anyway and wish you God's blessings.Just for the record..."tithing",being a form of "tax" for the Israelites was probably a matter of public record.Giving is a matter of the heart between the believer and the Lord and as such should ALWAYS be done privately and without fanfare or for any form of recognition.If a preacher or a deacon EVER asks you if you "tithe" or by what method you give..kindly(if possible) let him know it is not his business.Best rule...always give cash into the offering plate at church.If you have to mail anything in the form of a monetary gift to any other ministry then it is probably best to use a money order rather than mailing cash for safety sake.In any case....God Bless you for a giving heart.

Greg Sr.

16. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know it sounds simple but it just feels good to tithe and know that you are helping the local church and the missionairies that you support. This is kind of new to us as we just started about 4 or 5 years ago and then we probably only gave about 3 or 4 % of our income. Now praise God we are able to give right around 10% even though we have quite a bit of debt.

So my question is this: If we quit tithing and used that to pay off debt, we would probably be debt free in a couple of years except for our mortgage. God can't be happy with our debt so would He bless this?

Or keep tithing and take much longer to pay off the debt? I don't think it would feel right to send a check to a debtor and send God nothing.

Just an interesting scenario; I don't think I could ever not tithe and feel like I was right with God.

God Bless.

17. buckster75

buckster75 Member

John I guess you missed this.

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

AF Guy N Paradise

Are you saying you feel better at 10% than you did at 3-4%?

"I don't think I could ever not tithe and feel like I was right with God." Why do you feel this way? What scripture are you using to guide your giving?

19. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a personal conviction. I wish I could give 50%, but then again 100% of everything belongs to God.