1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Visitation records

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your church keep records of home visitation?

How do you determine how often to go back and visit someone.

lots more potential questions....

Open for discussion

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When someone outside our membership calls/shows interest or is referred, an elder will visit. We have no organized records or plan beyond that.

For our members, each elder will visit once a year in the person's home OR invite them to the elder's home for meal/fellowship etc.

3. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm finding more and more that it's difficult to catch people at home. People don't expect a pastor to visit as they did a generation ago.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the opportunity to develop a church personel booklet for a church I attended many years ago.
    They had not updated or even used one for a few decades and had fallen into some poor business practices, ones that effected their ministry.
    I took it upon myself to develop and spell out some expectations.

In the process I was able to get my hands upon the original expectations for the very young pastor who originally took on the ministry from the church planter back in the early 1970s.

They listed that the new pastor would spend an "x" number of hours each week in visitation, something like half of the number of hours he worked.
    He would report back to the deacon board who had even visited and for how long.

He was expected to preach on Sunday mornings, teach on Sunday evenings, teach and preach on Wednesday evenings. And he taught Adult Sunday school before church!

The deacon board met each week with him for prayer and to discuss church business.

And he had a growing family.

All that said, I really don't remember ever having been personally visited. I'm sure he must have visited but don't recall.

That young pastor had more energy than I could ever muster. The church grew and expanded up until he left and still has an impact in the community to this day.

Rob

5. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot imagine working under that kind of micromanaging. Were the deacons doing visitation themselves? Or were they just micromanaging him?