1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Visitation

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by msinave, Jan 27, 2005.

1. msinave

msinave Member
    Site Supporter

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but I would like some insight. Does your church have a visitation program? If so, how often do you visit the same prospect/visitor? There is a difference in opinion in my church. Most feel that 3 times is enough if there is not a positive response. One person feels that you "visit until they tell you they've joined another church or tell you to quit coming". What is your opinion? Does repeated visiting border on harrassment as some fear?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

If you visit them till they tell you they've joined another churhc, not only have you annoyed them, you've turned them off, and odds are they haven't really joined a church. I know before I was saved I "joined" a lot of churches to get people off my back. And in fact is joining a church what you really want them to do, or is it salvation? Are numbers the most important thing?
    How many times you visit should depend on the prospect. Do they seem to not mind people visiting them, do they seem like thay don't like it but are just too polite to say so, or do they just make it plain they don't wan tot be visited?
    You can not bully people into salvation or in joining a church, if you've bullied them they may not have made the right decision that reflects God's will, but made the decision that would get rid of people nagging them.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We have a church with membership as of Sunday night of exactly 1,200. We have MANY visitors each week. Tuesday nights, every other week, are our Visitation Blitz. Each family is given a card with each visit noted, with remarks, etc. We visit a family once and if they seem uninterested, they go back into the 'book' for a later visit. The cards are updated if they come again and fill out a visitor's card again.

We have so many visitors that we don't have the manpower to 'over visit' people. If someone has questions or needs, they're passed on to the appropriate person. Just last night I spoke with a woman who has not joined because she heard from another lady that you had to be re Baptized. The other lady came from a Methodist background but hadn't told this lady that. I explained to her how she could move her letter and then spoke with our Sr. Pastor's secretary who will let him know of this concern so he can give Rachel a call and reassure her that we're not 'off the wall' with our 'requirements'.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think if it is a new Christian a visit or two are in order to show people care.

However I hate when people randomly come to my house without calling. As being saved for many years I know Baptists! I know if I visit a church and put the visitor card in the offering plate, I will get a visit. Often times it is church polity to do this and is simply a mechanisim for growth. My pastor and several other dedicated people do it in our church.

If someone wants to visit me then come because you genuinly care about me. Not just because you are going out on Tuesday night visitation with a goal of getting in 4 visits. That is performing a duty and people see right through it.

I think people should give a phone call as follow up to seasoned christians. It would be more appreciated than having someone barge in for a 15 minute visit uninvited at 7:30 PM. People are relaxing and getting kids ready for bed. Most folks I know don't have much company on work nights. It is irritating.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church is new and very small. As folks inquire about things of God or our church, I will personally call on them.

The next week one of the elders-in-training will call. Try to answer questions, befriend them, demonstrate compassion and love of Christ, and of course share the wonderful soul-saving Gospel.

One of these two new 'elders' has tried to invite at least one prospect/family (99% unsaved) to his own home each week for supper, visit, kids play, etc

Different type of "visitation" for a different type of church.

6. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think a visitation program of some sort is important. I must agree that too much visitation can be seen as harrassment to some people.

In Christ,

Brooks

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Our church uses the GROW model. A combination of letters, telephone calls, and visits. Seems to work fairly well and encourages greater involvement of members.