1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church.....when it wasn't even about you.........

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Sherrie, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Church was great tonight! It was all singing, and then dinner! Our Church is mainly people over 60. But I really enjoyed all the older people singing tonight. Mostly old Gospel singing. Some songs sounded the same. But there was great joy in seeing all their smiles for each other. Once I teared up even seeing a Gentleman in his 70's, saying Amen and Praise God, when another lady in her 70's was singing. It gave me such great joy, to see him so happy, and her so full of God's grace, that she did not let her aged, cracked, voice stop her from singing praises to God! I mean this sincerely, and not as sarcasms.

Then a Lady in her 39-42 age area, sang. She sang a CCM song, and oh man, she put chills down my arms. She was really singing to the Lord tonight. She had her eyes closed, and just forgot about everyone sitting out in the pews. All I could do is say thank you Jesus, for all he was revealing to me tonight. Funny I do not remember the words, or titles to any songs sang. I was so busy thanking God, instead of the usual all the time, I need this Lord, or please do this for me, and I need that Lord.

Oh...But One of our deacons...well 2 of our deacons, and one wife sat by me for dinner. (the other wife just passed away) We were talking about hymns out of the Heavenly Highway Hymnal and I said, how much I love that hymnal. (They are all Old Gospel hymns) I could just about sing everyone of those songs without any music. And so Loyd, (Deacon) said, "well then lead us." EEK! But I did. "What a Day That shall be", out of the Baptist Hymnal, and "The Old Gospel Ship", out of the Heavenly Highway Hymnal! So cool! I actually lead these people while folks were eating! hahahaha! WOW! Those older people trusted me to lead in a song they new for years. I guess you just had to be there. I have no special voice....I am not a singer! I sing all the time, but I am not a singer!

Sometimes tho, the things that bring us into that intimate relationship with God, aren't even the things you would think would.

My praying tonight, had nothing to do with my selfish wants. Oh I am so good at saying what all I want God to help me with. But tonight, just the sight of our Seniors smiling, and singing, and Praising God, gave me such a spiritual rush...All I could do was smile back, and say, Than you Jesus!

Ever been there?

God Bless
    Sherrie

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Isn't it grand when we worship and God shows up. You kow you've worshipped Him, and you know He's been there.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Hey, Sister!

Sooooooooooo, what Sunday School class do you go to?? Ain't ya'll age graded like we are?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Sherrie,

Thank you for that witness. Our Church is similar.

"...and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ".

HankD

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You have a VERY special voice (and I've never even heard you). Just as you enjoyed hearing those seniors, I'll bet they enjoyed hearing you and God must have been having the best time of you all. You ARE a singer and a singer of the highest quality, too.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Double post
    (They're so good they try to to get on here twice) [​IMG]

7. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Artimaeus....thank you!

Sherrie