1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Worship on Sunday for Pastors?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The topic on Ann "preaching" on Sunday Morning Worship to the SBC pastors is bothersome.

Where is the local church in all this? Are these preachers (who should know better) going to form their own Sunday Morning Worship sans church? And then have a woman "speak" (or whatever euphemism you desire to avoid the obvious)?

Thoughts?

2. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Having a couple of speakers in on Sunday morning prior to the Pastor's Conference beginning on Sunday evening is a norm. Many pastors arrive on Saturday (such as yours truly) and this opportunity is there for those who feel compelled to go. Anne Graham will not be the only lady who addresses the convention during the week. The convention is not a local church service (neither is the Pastor's Conference). A lady providing scriptural teaching outside the local church is definitely acceptable in much of SBC life. The primary issue in the debate is whether a woman can serve in the role of a pastor, not whether she can offer biblical teaching in a conference format.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not fussing (on this thread) with Ann preaching. I'm just scratching my head over pastors having a "worship service" on Sunday morning, rather than supporting the local churches of that area.

And IF they have a "worship service" (as I understand they will), they ARE a defacto church that day. A conference is one thing; a Sunday morning worship is something else.

Still confused.

4. td

td New Member

I went to the SBC meeting in Atlanta a few years ago. Worship services are just a part of the schedule. Georgia Baptist Convention does the same. I believe they usually have a morning and evening service everyday. Not sure I would call it a defacto church. I see it more as a group of autonomous churches coming together to worship cooperatively. In fact, worship is probably the only thing they cooperate on. The rest of the time is spent on character assasination, name calling, politics, doctrinal statement wars and, well...you know...fellowship!

[ June 14, 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: td ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been there! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Charlesga

Charlesga New Member

That's the truth! The convention meets to see what kind of almost useless resolutions can be passed and to see whose name can be smeared this year. What a waste.

Charles