1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches of Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Speedpass, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone have any experience with them? I have never been to any of their churches; but from what I have read, they take a very exclusive view that they are the only true church.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did attend a COC once - on a Sunday night.
    One thing they believe is that communion must be give weekly (that in itself is not a major issue)
    On that Sunday night - the pastor said - okay- did anybody miss communion this morning?
    The attitude was more of a "lets get this out of the way"
    I see The Lords Supper as a very Solemn occasion and NOT to be take lightly.

They absolutely abhor the Title of Rev. There leaders are simply minister.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My experience with them is pretty dated, to the mid 1980s, and my family moved from the area and quit attending a CoC church before I hit 4th grade.

From a kids perspective, I remember that communion was a part of every service. And baptisms were a lot more frequent, but that also may have been from the size of the church.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Churches of Christ are very dominant where I live. Some of the larger ones seem more inclusive in terms of expecting to see non-Church of Christ people in heaven. But all and all, they are very exclusive. One of my friends is now Baptist, but he was raised Church of Christ. His parents believe that he will go to Hell for leaving the “true Church”.

In terms of the local church, they are landmarkists. They believe in baptismal regeneration, and I would consider them a borderline cult. I recall one time when a more "moderate" CoC had music (accompanied music) on a Friday night. Several teachers from a CoC private school attended. They were required to apologize publicly and commit never again to visit that church or quit their job. Most apologized, but a few quit.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this the Church of Christ?
    That church has no musical instruments, and one must be baptized to be saved...

6. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knew an elder in one branch thta allowed for musical instrumentsin worship, and kept getting "pinned down" by elders in one that forbade themto be used!
    They hold to Baptism is required to confirm salvation, and good works to keep it!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friend of ours died, they held the memorial, and asked them why was sure he went to heaven" he was water baptized before his died"

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually there are four main branches of the COC - Only one is non-instrumental
    The Disciples of Christ - are the most liberal group. ( but DoC are instrumental)

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know differing groups, as my Elder friend was in one allowed musical items, but his friends were not!

11. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up in that denomination. What do you want to know?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

12. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most think their own denomination is the "true Church," lol, so this would probably be something of debate among those who are members of the CoC. I had a friend who was ordained through the CoC and to be honest they were a very Charismatic group. I have also spent time on a CoC forum where they flatly refused to let me debate them concerning their doctrine of water baptism (they believe the Spirit of God is given when one is water baptized (Baptismal Regeneration)).

I think we are going to find the same thing with them that we find in all denominations, a various assortment of differing views ranging from nominal to fanatical in regards to the particular doctrine of that group.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. cindi cain

cindi cain New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not believe in miracles. Apparently they do not believe in Spiritual gifts. They do not believe in demon possession or anything demonic. I'm married to one. I came here to search for Scripture that will support my beliefs KEPT IN CONTEXT, and to have him look at his, from Scripture. He says all miracles, demon possession, talking in toungues stopped when Jesus died. And the only ones authorized to perform thises things were the Apostles.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread from 2017 is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.