1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Churches of Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ntchristian, Mar 7, 2020.

1. ntchristian

ntchristian Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anybody know anything about this denomination that claims not to be one? I've read about them to some extent, and I think I have some kinship with some of their beliefs, although not their refusal to use instruments in worship. It seems they have tried to order their churches along a NT pattern in practices and doctrine.

Anyone on this forum a member of this branch of Christianity?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were founded by Alexander Campbell and ultimately split from the Disciples of Christ.

The biggest difference between Baptists and CoC is the CoC holds to baptismal regeneration. Older members believe they are the only ones going to heaven because they are the "Church of Christ".

And they are a denomination (Campbell lamented it becoming such because he envisioned uniting denominations).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Churches of Christ' is a 'Restoration Movement' denomination, others are 'Christian Church Disciples of Christ' and 'Christian Churches & Churches of Christ':

ARDA Denominational Profiles

History:

leroygarrett.org/restorationreview/article.htm?rr18_04/rr18_04b.htm&18&4&1976

"The Restoration Movement in this country in its origin owes much to both Presbyterians and Baptists. Our original founders, the four pillars of our Movement, were all Presbyterians: Thomas and Alexander Campbell, Barton W. Stone and Walter Scott. But the masses that came into our ranks during the first generation, 1809-1830, were....Baptists."

"Hundreds of these Baptist churches came into the Movement....They gradually imbibed 'Campbellism'....until they were no longer considered orthodox Baptist churches, and so they were dubbed 'Reformed Baptists'."

"These 'Reformed Baptists' finally lost all identification as Baptists and became known as 'Disciples of Christ'....also as 'Church of Christ' and 'Christian Church'."

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Disciples of Christ? This from their website:

www.disciples.org/discover/saved.htm) one finds the view that both personal and universal salvation are present in scripture and tradition, but that ultimately only God knows:

"In the Bible and classical Christian theology, salvation is sometimes pictured in a restrictive sense, belonging only to those who respond in faith (e.g. Matthew 25:31-46; John 3:16). Such pictures portray the importance of human responsibility. Salvation is also pictured in universally inclusive ways in which God is the Redeemer of the whole creation, including all human beings (e.g. Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:15-20; Revelation 5:13). Such pictures portray the sovereignty of God, whose ability to say "yes" is finally stronger than human ability to say "no." Both pictures are in the Bible and in Christian tradition. Both pictures, limited salvation and universal salvation, have something important to say. Disciples have traditionally been reluctant to say how it "really" is. The matter is in God's hands, and mercifully so. We bear witness to the importance of human decision and responsibility; we bear witness to the unconditional grace of God. We trust in the mercy and faithfulness of God revealed in Jesus Christ."

Universalism is what the local pastor of D of C believes. Their website certainly entertains the idea.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They hold to water baptism mandatory in order to become saved....

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey, I'm going to start my own church, anyone want to join? I've got a whole new way of looking at the Christian experience and one more sect is not going to hurt. I've got the all the truth, so join now before it's too late!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny you brought that up. The old men in the hardware store Thursday morning were arguing about that. Several had left the local Church of Christ and gone to a SBC church. The old men still at the Church of Christ were trying to decide if the men that left were going to Hell or not. I laughed at them and told them I refuse to argue theology with anyone over 80 years old.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. I cant have a pastor with a green avatar.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Typical Catholic."--Orthodox Church:Wink

12. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. Even within the more conservative church of Christ assemblies you find some that are 'instrumental' and allow musical instruments in worship. Cambellism is all over the map from ultra liberal United Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ to congregations that teach that only Church of Christ adherents are 'true believers'

#12 Walter, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In my new hometown, from what I've been told, the churches get together during Holy Week, and other special times, to share services. This includes the Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Church of God. The one church that refuses to participate is the Church of Christ. I find that strange considering their founders were proponents of Christian unity.

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bet you won't . :Biggrin

15. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just like the cardinals over 80 can't vote for the new pope. ;)

16. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently attended a Church of Christ service. The speaker said, "Of course you can lose your salvation. It's silly to think otherwise."

17. ntchristian

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I tend to the free will side of Baptist thought, although I wouldn't say "lose your salvation". I would rather say willfully forfeit it. So, I don't know if I would agree with the Church of Christ on this. This is an Orthodox tenet, too. At least, that's how I was raised.

18. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have learned that they have their minds made up, and will not listen. The discussion turns to an disrespectful argument. I dont like disrespecting the elderly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it sounds like they abandoned their founders' attitudes, early on per JonC's mention. Part of the reason is that their goal wasn't solely ecumenical, or even mainly. Their eventual split took them down wildly divergent paths.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew a friend of my father's who passed away , and when I attended the Church of Christ service , they were so happy that he had been able to get water baptized in his death bed, so was now saved!