1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sminasian, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That could be accomplished by Sermon Audio & other good sermons on the Internet.:thumbs:

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There is no Christianity apart from the church. The Body of Christ is not an individual- it is a bunch of body members united under one head- Christ. If you refuse to assemble with believers (warts and all) do not think you can live for Christ.

You might as well try to live as a severed hand. The hand is NOTHING without the Body and you are nothing without the ecclesia (the assembly of called out ones).

Individual Christians living outside of the assembling of believers is a concept TOTALLY foreign to the New Testament.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yup. you darn well said it right.
    church is not about ME, MINE, MY.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure....I know where you are going with this and your reasons are that they are not stimulating your need to be a part of something much greater than yourself. They do not touch the flesh....they are only gathering places.And real Christians get tired of that nonsense real quick. Shoving you back into that environment is really stupid. You are looking for life and all you are getting lazy unstimulating church service & one that forces you to submit to their consept of church. Flesh this out my friend....read John 20:27. And stay away from dead churches. You are much better than that.:thumbs:

5. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Years ago in the south church didn't meet but once a month due to circuit preachers and other things but as a child I remember old saints of God having a prayer time set aside as they went by themselves behind the corn crib or maybe stopped while they were plowing behind a mule and knelt on their knees and call out to God for the salvation of their loves ones. They lived what they believed, their hand shake was their bond.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you consider Pennsylvania to be the south? Personally I could not tell you about "The South " but from my experience, I have witnessed Pennsylvania Coal Miners and family's meeting in prayer. Also know of a Pa farmer who gave thanks each morning, midday & evening as he plowed his fields with his plowhorses and milked his cows.

#26 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He isn't saying that though. And personally I want to congregate around those capable of distinguishing between active Christian churches and believers and dead churches and club's.

I would like to know how a church can survive for 45 years without ever going outside its boundaries to reach out to the community, to the poor and the destitute. Something is wrong there. I believe our friend is telling us this. And you Pinoy, should know more than anyone the importance of living your faith. James 1:22-25.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He hasn't said anything of the sort - just that the churches were fine but he didn't want to stay. There was nothing said of a dead church or club nor of the church not doing ministry in the community.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read between the lines. Become a detective. It is elementary my dear Ann. :laugh:

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Rick is correct. The local church is the body of Christ. We have the curse of choice in the West, the United States in particular. There is a church for everyone. Are you left-handed with blonde hair? Hey! There is a church for you. Do you want a church that caters to vertically challenged individuals? We got you covered. OK, I'm being facetious, but I think I've made my point.

The church is an organism. It's head is Christ and it is made up of a diverse group of believers. It is the place where Christians come to be fed. It is where they come to grow. It is where they come to learn. Both within and outside it's walls it's members love one another, serve one another. We deceive ourselves if we think we are better off outside the church. There is no perfect church, or for that matter no perfect Christian. But we desperately need each other.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong......I am indeed left handed with blond hair and I never found one of that ilk.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....and feed ya!?! Well kinda....but so what. So can a diner. Feed ya what?

The question becomes....what do I need a church for? Can I learn without you.....answer: yea most certainly. In fact, that's how ive learned. So what now? You have never satisfactorily convinced me of the need for church (or more specifically the way you see church).

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The question might be asked "What do I need the body for? I do just fine as a foot. I don't need the leg!!"

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A wise woman once told me, "if you find the perfect church, don't join it. It won't be perfect any more."

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

The "wise woman" to which you refer wouldn't happen to be Mrs. Butler, now would it? :smilewinkgrin:

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next time you have a conversation with your foot......:laugh:

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

My problem is that when I get my mouth that close to my foot ...

Let's just say I soak my socks in hot sauce. :laugh:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobodys looking for perfect Tom....just real.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope this Audio of James chapter 1 will work. Max McClain is the voice in the reading.

http://www.biblegateway.com/audio/mclean/niv/Jas.1.22-Jas.1.25

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That may be but it does not change the fact that the Body of Christ is an assembly of believers- it is not a believer out there worshiping God on his lonesome.

What old saints of God did in them good old days is not worth two cents compared to what the Word of God says.

Foreign to the Word of God is the idea of an individual Christian who refuses to assemble with other believers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.