1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cicada Killer Attack!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

And of course I did not have my camera.

I am innocently sitting outside when I feel something on my hand. I look down and gasp, because the top of my hand is covered with what appears to be a very scary looking giant wasp, but it is so brilliant and beautiful! It feels soft and feathery. I stand up slowly and hold my hand out, hoping it doesn't sting. It flies up and away, then turns around and heads back for me, so I gently blow on it, and the wasp takes off for good.

Whew!

This might explain all the cicada shells! My daughter has collected a number of the shells and saved them in a glass jar, mixed up with dried rosebuds. Her own artistic expression.

Hopefully the cicada killer won't land on me again. That creeped me out, although I still can't believe it felt that soft and gentle. The wings were like feathers. How cool is that?

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Started hearing the cicadas around our home last week. I do not hear very well, but I can definitely tell when they are out.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Gina, is this him?

[​IMG]

Found one dead on our farm when I was a kid. Avoiding the stinger, I picked him up and you're right: Soft, almost fluffy feeling. My impression is that they only attack cicadas unless you tick 'em off, but I could be wrong about that.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes, but with a lot more orange. Maybe because the wings were spread. I looked them up and it says only one gender stings, I forget which, and it is rare. I have potting mix open and saw a smaller one crawling on it, so I think that may be their home, since the cicada shells aren't too far from it. When I feel brave again I will get closer and check it out with my camera.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't believe this is a cicada.
    Try this. http://www.cicadamania.com

If you happen to be around when the cycle (13 & 17 years IIRC) peaks, the noise is deafening, and you can't walk w/o stepping on scads of them!!!!

After they die off you will find the shed "skins" all over the place, especially on tree trunks

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

A cicada killer is a type of huge wasp, which kills cicadas to feed its babies. The babies eat it, leaving only the shell.
    I think it was last year we all were yelling "what?" at each other for evenings on end because of actual cicadas I thought it was neat for about five seconds. Glad they aren't like that every year!

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bad!!!!

I read too fast and missed your actual point. My apologies!!:eek:

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's okay, you made me learn something new, because I thought the life cycle was around seven years and you're correct on that one.