1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cigarettes and pro athletes

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Ps104_33, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Just something that crossed my mind today. I remember as a kid in the 50's and 60's it wasnt unusually to see one of your favorite ball players smoking a cigarette.
    Does anyone know of any professional athletes today that smoke?

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Ricky Williams of Miami!!!

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Bob, time will tell (and drug testing)! Don't give up on Ricky, he needs ours prayers.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

During that same time it was not unusual to see a rising cloud among the deacons at a church or nurses at a hospital.

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I've seen a few nurses still smoking. I haven't noticed too many deacons doing that lately.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I remember seeing some old film footage from the Apollo space missions and seeing some astronauts with cigarettes in their mouths while having some free time at cocoa beach.

7. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Smoking used to be chic in the 50s. I'm still amazed at how many health professionals smoke.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just had an article in our paper. Hospital went "smoke free" on the property - indoors or out. Now the nurses are whining about having to walk across the street for a cancer stick.

Amazing.

But then, my MD is about 100# overweight and wants ME to go on drugs to lower cholesterol. [​IMG]

9. LarryN

LarryN New Member

In the film Apollo 13 (dir: Ron Howard) I always chuckle at the character of the Flight Surgeon (a medical doctor, for those who may not know). The events portrayed take place in 1970- and the Flight Surgeon chain-smokes throughout the film!

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the Honus Wagner cigarette coupon baseball card so valuable? Because Honus, a nonsmoker, asked the company to discontinue associating his name with smoking, and thus very few of his 1909 cards hit the market...and there are only about 10 of'em still in good condition. In Wagner's day, almost every pro athlete in any sport used some form of tobacco. But then, they believed it enhanced their performance...that is, all but a few, like Wagner.