1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cinematography / Video Production college

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jesus Fish, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

I'm looking for a good quality school where I can study cinematography or video production. I just don't know of any good Christian schools that have that major other than Bob Jones. I've heard they're pretty good, but I don't really know where to look to find any others. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,

Lee

2. Brice

Brice New Member

3. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

What would you like to do with your degree? I would generally advise people to study cinema over radio/television because you spend more time on big picture principles and techniques (e.g., lighting) than on technology. Radio/television will tend to be more vocational--training you in the latest equipment so that you can jump right into a live production environment.

Both programs have their advantages, but for myself I think I would rather have a solid grounding in the fundamentals and then keep abreast of technological developments through my job. Which major you choose depends on what you want to do down the road.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're of the mind to attend it, I recommend BJU. Here is a link to its School of Fine Art page. The SFA has a Division of Film, Video, and Broadcasting. This is a link to the DFV&B's newsletter Rewind. This program has over the decades produced some of the best in Christian films.

5. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

I'm not opposed to going to BJ. And I do want to study cinematography as opposed to just tv/radio broadcasting stuff. Right now, I have a desire to work for a mission agency making videos either for the board itself or for their missionaries. I see a great need for quality videos in that field.

I hate to say it, well, actually, i don't.... the traditional 3-fold cardboard display with snake skins and pictures of natives doesn't really make me want to help those missionaries, whether thru financial support or prayer. Even Powerpoint presentations are just glorified slide shows. I think video is the way to go to have the most impact in the shortest amount of time, because as we all know, we American church goers want to get started right on time and end right on time.

So I'm being a bit sarcastic. I just really think that the American church can give so much more than they do, and one of the reasons they don't is because they aren't touched on an emotional level by the missionaries. It's one thing to give out of Christian duty, but another to give cheerfully. I believe God has given me a talent for this video stuff, and I want to use it for Him. Now if this moves into doing Christian films or something like that, then so be it, but for now, I'm trying to at least head in some direction, and I'll let God close the doors if He sees fit.

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I strongly suggest you follow up on the BJ links I posted above. From what I've seen over the years, BJ DFV&B grads work for a variety of employers some "secular" and some "sacred".

Here is a link bjup.com's (BJU Press) Unusual Films Productions page. This should give you an idea of what the University is up to.

7. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

Thanks for the links Squire, I'll check them out.

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the looks of the Press' page the videos and dvds are a at a good price. So, I'd see about buying a few so you can look at the production values. Over the years you can see the improvements Unusual Films has made in their productions. At first they had a certain B film quality now they are right up there with any other independent production. Though, for obvious reasons, UF films won't be screened at Sundance. Just remember, Wine of Morning and Flame in the Wind are early efforts. The Printing is the lattest I've seen. There may be a later feature film. But there's a bunch of other stuff there for you to look at.

9. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

I'm just going to keep in prayer about this whole thing. Part of me wants to goto a Christian school, and another part of me wants the best education for the money, and I don't know if BJ would provide that. I might look into some schools near home. I just hope God directs me somehow, but after talking with a friend the other day, it seems that God sometimes waits until the last minute before giving clear directions. Until then, I just gotta trust Him and keep my options open, heading in the direction I think is best.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The films from BJU have won a number of awards in international festivals. They do a first class job on production. The older films "B quality" as the Squire calls it is due to the age. Wine of Morning was made in the 50s. Pull out a Hollywood movie from the 50s and compare it to today. You see a certian "B quality" in comparison. Flame in the Wind was a late 60s film.

I think some BJU grads are working in commercial production. You will get a great education in the field, moreso than any other Christian school, and probably more than most secular schools.

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJ does the best it can with the funds and technology available at a given time. So, movies like Sheffey and The Printing have as good or better production values as any independent film production. Given sufficent financial and human resources, I've no doubt Unusual Films would set up a unit the equal to LucasFilm's ILM.

12. Jesus Fish

Jesus Fish New Member

I emailed a guy from ABWE (Association of Baptists for World Evangelism). He recommended Cedarville's program in Electronic Media. It looks pretty good so far, and it's alot closer to home. It's a big school though, and I'm not too big on that, but I guess a bigger school should have better programs than smaller schools. I'm still lookin though.