1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Circus church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

We don't have any mission programs per se however we do support missionaries financially.
    The pastor(who happens to be my dad) is also the chaplain of the county jail which is quite an outreach opportunity.
    As for decipleship, we do have that as needed but there is no program for it.
    I can think of a couple of instances of new Christians joining and there was a lot of time spent on decipleship but it wasn't a class, not that I think a decipleship class is inherently wrong. Since our church is only about 80 members there is no call for a regular class.

You won't like this anymore :)
    We don't even have a wednesday night service. We have tried but work schedules have never permitted such.

As an official program of the church, no.
    However personal outreach is encouraged. We tend to have some visitors almost every week.
    I think we had 5 or so visitors today but I think a few had attended before in the past. I think only one was a first time visitor.

Some of both. We are not so tiny we could not have a Sunday school but we choose not to. There is certainly no Biblical command for such.

Since when does the Bible require a woman to have an "active" role in the Church?
    You or anyone else are no less of a Christian if you do not have an official church role.
    The only offices we as baptists believe in are Pastors and deacons. beyond that there are circumstantial roles like song leader (me) musicians, ushers, janitors parking lot attendants etc but these are not really required positions of a church.
    To me the only requirement for "active" in Church that anyone can be expected to fulfill is regular, faithful attendance.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sure. There will always be disagreement on doctrine and all Biblical issues. Doesn't mean we throw it all out. I am still studying the issue. I do not have all the answers as to just how to do it all.

Ok, this is a great example for me to explain:
    The Element is the giving.
    How you go about it, whether you pass a plate, have a box in the back etc is all circumstantial. The important thing is that you have that ELEMENT.

Same with singing. Does not matter if you sing with hymnals or a projector or with loose printed sheets or just from memory. The point is that you sing.

With preaching, it doesn't matter if you have a PA or if the preacher just raises his voice. The important thing is that you do have preaching of the word.

Also the order of worship is circumstantial. Whether you start with singing, then read the Bible, then preach or preach first then sing... who cares!

The first I heard of this type of thing was actually from the Church of Christ and I thought it was lunacy. I had the same reaction that you did in fact.

What about lights etc?
    It was not until I was confronted with the reformed perspective that I realized that it was Biblical. At least I believe the reformed perspective is. Not sure about the CoC version.

But please, please separate the elements from the circumstances.
    YOu can do whatever you want with the circumstances. I don't care and I am not advocating that.

You can even have contemporary music styles and dress in jeans for all I care because those are circumstantial.

Just don't add new ways to worship God like drama plays and puppet shows etc.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry...but I still come back to this:

1. "Elements/Circumstances" are still matters of opinion. There will never be consensus here...and since Scripture is silent, it's a lost cause to think we can resolve it.
    2. The RP is still not a Biblical concept.

BTW....just for the record, I do believe in the centrality of preaching the Word of God in Christian worship.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Romans 14:1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters

This verse saves me from going off on a few people at church....Though everyone's opinion of disputable matters varies. It works for me. Yet maybe others believe I am a legalist :eek: I understand what Dale is trying to say, and I agree.

#44 Joe, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2008
  5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

this could be said of almot any doctrine.
    Is there a consensus on mode of Baptism?
    I disagree with paedobaptists but I am sure this topic will never have a consensus.

I don't agree. The Bible commands the church to do certain things. I don't see anyone given the authority to add to that.
    Because it has been commanded.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Well, duh. Of course women have an active role in the church Dale. If nothing else we are to teach the younger women. :rolleyes: Don't make me break out my Bible and show the many examples of women in the early church. :D

However, since I'm clearly in the position of being the only adult who attends church (my husband not "believing" in organized religion--let's go no further) I am then who it falls to to acertain my children are brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, as well as fulfilling the requirements of our homeschool association. (yes, there were others out there that didn't have this requirement, but this one fits us well and they are understanding of our family dynamics. DH does support our homeschooling and approves of the association.)

What you think Dale, that if life doesn't turn out the way a woman expects she is allowed to simply say "it was my husband's job". I don't think the Lord will agree to that.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Sure the older women are supposed to teach the younger.
    I am just objecting to requiring a lady to be "active" in that way.
    SOME ladies should but I don't see how anyone can require you to do that.
    If you do, then fine. I am just saying that if someone came up and told my wife she was REQUIRED to be something or do some role like that in the church I would object.

MK, I don't know the answer to this.
    That is certianly between you and your husband to decide.

8. menageriekeeper

Aww, yes you do Dale. The answer is right here:

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
    1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbeleiving wife is sanctified by the husband; else were your children unclean, but now are they holy.

No Wednesday's sounds interesting. Here though, Sunday night is the least attended service of the week. Wednesday's on the other hand are well attended. I suppose it's a difference of lifestyle between where you are and where I am.

Linda, I gotta tell you, those clowns you posted were creepy! I hope I don't get nightmares. :eek:

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Just outta' curiosity, in your thinking, who gets to determine what does or does not qualify as "regular faithful attendance"?

What 'Scripture' is this "requirement" found in? II Calamity 2:4? Hogwash 5:22? Or Opinions 12:6?? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that determination be arbitrary, at best?

Ed

#49 EdSutton, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Well, you probably shoulda' spelled it as "stoopid", given the context, but I'd suggest that this is the best question asked, so far, in the entire thread! [​IMG]

Ed

11. menageriekeeper

Ed I think you've mixed Dale and I up a bit.

It's my homeschool association that requires "active church membership". Who determines it? Well at partly it's on the honor system as our members are usually recommended by other members. We do collect church membership info, including pastor contact info in case there is ever a question. It would be the individual's pastor then who determines faithful attendance.

That said, we're way off down the rabbit trail. :eek:

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

If you think the clown pictures poste by Linda64 were creepy, ya' oughtta' check out the posts of some of the clowns actually posting on the BB.

There you can find some stuff that's really scary! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not at all! The sentence I commented on was the last sentence made by Dale-c in post #41, where he said (actually commenting on your post), and again I quote -
    No particular problem, here, but this still seems a bit arbitrary, to me. I attend a church (I'm actually the Church Moderator) where the average attendance approaches 300. I can surely 'hide' my absence or presence from the Pastor, who would normally have to 'pick me out in the crowd', easier than were I attending an assembly where the average attendence was 50, don't you think? Suppose the average attendence was 500 - Easier still, I'd say, frankly.
    Again, I'd suggest maybe technically, but not really. Looks to me like I'm seeing (although certainly not you) some "Ringmaster wannabes" for the 'Circus'!

Ed

14. menageriekeeper

My church approaches about twice that of yours but it seems I can't hide hardly at all. Sunday morning services are recorded and televised at 1 on Sundays. If I'm not in my spot in the choir loft behind the preacher I'm almost sure to get a call from someone(parents, friends who attend other churches) wanting to know why. They leave me alone during January, February and March and sometimes December because those are historically "sick" months for our household. But the rest of the time, I better be up there! :laugh:

Seriously though, when I gave them my contact information, I included the associate pastor who I work with most often and would be most likely to know about my 'activity level'. Like I said though, most of it is on our honor. As far as I know, no one from the school has ever contacted my church. Not that I've asked. Shoot, now you've went and made me curious! :D

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ed, I am not sure if you are totally misunderstanding me or I am misunderstanding you.
    All I was saying, in response to MK that attendance is all that should be required and not actual "activity" like teaching a sunday school class etc.
    To require something beyond attendance is to require more than what God has required in His word.

I really don't understand what you rabbit trail is about on this.
    The OP has nothing to do with what constitutes "regular attendance"

16. menageriekeeper

Exactly what I was pointing out, Dale, that I've led us off away from the OP.

We could perhaps start another thread on what sort of activity God expects from everyday Christians.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Actually, I am not the one who brought up the idea of "rabbit trail". I merely commented on it to another.

No, the OP did not mention "regular attendance". You are the one who brought up that subject, I believe.

Heb. 10:25, the verse usually brought up most often in this, says nothing about "regular attendance". It merely says "not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together", I believe, in King James English. It does not define what is 'forsaking that assembling', any more than does the Bible define what is any 'required' order or 'form' of a service, either, assuming it is 'decently and in order'.

But , thankfully, :rolleyes: we have some of the "junior holy spirits" among us, who in an attempt to "legislate spirituality" instead, actually become "grace robbers". I'm not going to participate in that endeavor.

I'll now attempt to comment on your OP.

Ed

#57 EdSutton, Mar 17, 2008
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dale-c post as cited; my comments in Bold Italics.
    From the 'tone' of the OP, alone, it would appear that we are basically agreed, here. Glad to see that! However, I am very sorry to see, from later posts, that the 'tone' of the OP is little short of being merely a sham!

Ed

#58 EdSutton, Mar 17, 2008
  19. menageriekeeper

Hey, we do both (concert and congregational singing together in the same service) every now and again. Last time we paired up with the Nazarene church, putting both our choirs together. We sang, they sang, we all sang together, the congregation joined in and we even let the preacher preach for a few minutes. :D It was an absolutely wonderful time of worship. Wasn't for outreach, though I'm sure there were non-church members attending. This was total worship and it was great!

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm not at all against having extra-curricular activities at church. In fact, we're discussing the plans for our next building right now and we're considering a gymnasium.

I'm not against movie nights, as long as the movies are appropriate, of course.

Treadmills? I'd have no problem with having a little gym for members of the church (although, practically, that would present a ton of insurance issues for the church).

But we must make sure that the preaching God's word comes first and that it is kept completely seperate from any novelty or extra-curricular attractions.