1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cities try to shut FEMA trailer parks

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Sep 29, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20070928/1a_lede28.art.htm

Cities try to shut FEMA trailer parks
    Residents told 'move forward' or get out

By Brad Heath
    USA TODAY

Communities along the Gulf Coast are moving to banish the government-issued trailers that house tens of thousands of people whose homes were destroyed by the devastating hurricanes in 2005.

Those cities and parishes are shutting down impromptu trailer parks set up after the disaster, telling homeowners they either must show progress rebuilding or get rid of the emblematic white travel trailers dotted across front yards from Alabama to Texas.

About 65,000 Gulf Coast families live in the trailers, which were issued as temporary housing by the Federal Emergency Management Administration.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

In my neck of the woods, the problem is storing the trailers that were used. THey are nasty, roach infested, contain human waste still in their tanks and are just a nuisance. The government is paying people to let them be stored on private property. One man right down our road has 300 acres he leased to the government. They are paying him $200,000.00 for the use of his property for 6 months. And its a 2 year contract.

So of course the man would be an idiot not to take that kind of money, but the neighbors are outraged (many from jealousy). It is a nuisance to have constant traffic from FEMA trailers and trucks on our narrow little county road. Some neighbors have posted signs in protest, but really, who can blame the neihbor for taking an offer like that?

Honestly, I hate that our tax money is going for that. That is just one of the FEMA storage places, and I personally know of 4 parks, just like that, wall to wall white trailers, just sitting there waiting for the next diaster. If it hits here, they will be destroyed anyway. When will it end?

#2 TaterTot, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  3. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

A lot of people do not want to rebuild they just want something for nothing. They are fine to stay in the free trailers.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's time for the freeloaders to get busy and contribute.

They've ridden this donkey about as far as they can. Time to get off.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats strange, people who once owned their own homes are just fine with free loading living in tiny little trailors?

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

yes, its true.

Many didnt get much (if any) insurance reimbursement, esp if they were flooded out and they had hurricane coverage.

We have some dear friends that lost everything, and had to start from scratch from nothing. They are living in a tiny apartment. They never used nor abused any FEMA or other assistance, because they both still had jobs after the storm.

But many many people do want something for nothing, and they still are complaining that the government has not done enough to help them. I will never forget the image I saw on my black and white battery operated TV a couple days after the storm. A group of people was yelling and complaining, and one woman kept yelling, "Where's my ice water" and "Give us something GOOD to eat - no more MREs". I was apalled. I think a little "thank you for the water and food" would have been great.

7. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

They didnt all own homes. If they did the trailers would be parked in the front yards of those homes and connected to the city sewer. Instead there are Fema trailer parks all over the place.

And yes, they are perfectly fine living in tiny trailers. They now have more money for fancy cars, clothes, and other stuff they do not really need.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I figure two years after the storm one should at minimum have a plan. Or maybe the plan is to free load until evicted???

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Mayor Nagin says he wants them all to come back to New Orleans. I say, there's no time like the present.

The sooner they all leave Houston, the sooner our murder rate will drop back down to normal.

They are like the poor, extended family members who come to visit your home. You feel obligated to invite them to stay for a while, but after 3 weeks, they won't leave. Sometimes, you have to get a little pushy. They won't like it, you won't like it, but it needs to be done for the sake of your own house and family.

On behalf of places like Houston, who took in hundreds of thousands of evacuees after the storm, I would like to say, we were happy to help in your time of need, no thanks necessary, there is a bus headed east, please be on it. Bye, bye. Oh, and don't forget to come back and visit, only for a week and only if you get a motel room, when you have some money to spend on tourism here.

10. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Mayor Nagin also pronounced the city (a week after the hurricane) to be safe.

Interesting that his problem children were in other places causing trouble, but he didnt account for that. He really does not want his people back.

I doubt people will come back here. The murder rate has rocketed off the charts here. There are no jobs, property taxes have tripled (thanks to all the rebuilding), and a home normally valued at 86K is trying to be sold for 149K.