1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Civil tithing debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Soulman, Nov 25, 2005.

1. cojosh

cojosh New Member

********Brother, It is not for you to decide to put a percentage on a persons giving in the first place. I beleive a person should give sacrificially(till it hurts). We should give as much as we can. ***************

I agree.

********But I am not going to judge a family who is unemployed and receiving an unemployment stipend if he can't make his 10%.*************

nor would I.

********** How do you count time and talent? What if a person is cleaning the church, soul winning, working the buses etc. but can't give as much financially?***********

That's between that person and God.

************ Is that person measuring up to your 10% standard?**************

You mean God's standard, in that, we the members of our church agree that God wants us to give at least 10%, but not limiting our giving to 10%.

************* How does your treasurer measure that?***************

The treasurer does not measure. Our church is not one that requires it's members to give. That's solely between them and the Lord and we don't practise tithing as some sort of ritual that defines the purpose of the church. It's a standard and believe it or not, standards come in handy.

Posted by cojosh:
    -------------------------------------------------
    I hope no one on this post feels like the Holy Spirit is leading them to give less than 10%.

My statement was based on the posts on this discussion not on "a family who is unemployed and receiving an unemployment stipend if he can't make his 10%.", so I apologize to this family if they're on this board. I should have specified:

I hope no one on this post feels like the Holy Spirit is leading them to give less than 10%, due to greed and selfishness.

Now, that's fair. If this statement doesn't apply then it should be ignored. On the other hand, this statement encourages us to examine ourselves.

Nothing wrong with that.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

sorry I got in late:

32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
    33 He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.

note "shall not be redeemed"

I take this to mean those with animals can not get out of bringing these beasts to church. if you believe we still must follow OT tithe.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by cojosh:
    I hope no one on this post feels like the
    --------------------------------------------------
    Cojosh, It doesn't really matter if a family exists like the one in my example. My point is that you should not judge anothers giving.

There are those out there that don't give the way they should for sure. That is still between them and the Lord. It is no mans business how much or how often anyone gives.

In your statement about hoping the Holy Spirit isn't leading them to give less than 10%, due to greed and selfishness,is a wrong statement to make. God is not in the percentage business.

God wants us to give as we are led. For some that can be 50% or 5%. It isn't up to us to judge someones giving.

Does a person that doesn't give have a problem with their relationship to Christ? I think so. But I don't think giving is their only problem.

People are either going to be obedient or not. Lets just get it right in what we are to be obedient to.

The bible says we should give. No where in the N.T. does it say we as church members should tithe or give a percentage.

The opinion that 10% is a good place to start may be ok for you. It is an opinion and that is all. It has no biblical basis in N.T. theology.

Some may say that 10% was a bible standard and therefore a good place to start. Biblical tithing does not even resemble what is being practised in churches today.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by cojosh:
    ------------------------------------------------
    I hope no one on this post feels like the Holy Spirit is leading them to give less than 10%, due to greed and selfishness.
    I had a problem editing the last post. This is the completion of the quote in my last post.