1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Civil Unions

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by aefting, Nov 2, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

Is there any practical difference between civil unions and marriage? Are civil unions just an easier term for some politicians to swallow?

Andy

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Marriage was created by God as a union between one man and one woman. A civil union is created by states to give same sex couples the full benefits of being married without using the title "marriage". Many politicians feel that they can "protect the institution of marriage" while still granting benefits to those in "civil unions".

3. Dale

Dale New Member

yes, as I would see it...Marraige is ordained by God to be peformed by the Church.
    A Civil Union, is just that, Civil. Something that the state does.

4. Dale

Dale New Member

Looks like we replied at the same time [​IMG]
    With similar answers

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Great minds think alike [​IMG]

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The Michigan ballot, rightly, has an amendment to ban all recognition of same sex unions, no matter what you call it.

A civil union is a marriage by another name. They should not exist either. It is a cop-out way to "protect marriage" while capitulating to the homosexual lobby.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Amen Pastor Larry!!

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen - and the incumbent has no problem with civil unions. He disagress with his own party.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes. A marriage is a public contract. A civil union is a private contract.

10. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't know what you mean by that.

Andy

11. Dale

Dale New Member

Yes. A marriage is a public contract. A civil union is a private contract. </font>[/QUOTE]A marraige is not a contract, it is an oath before God and before man. the State has nothing to do with a biblical marraige.
    A civil union IS a contract and can be broken per the terms of the contract aggreement.
    With a marriage, the Bible says:
    Matt. 19:6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

a civil union is therefor not Biblical even if it is between a man and a woman.

And since a marraige is the joining of two by God, same sex "marraige" is not possible.

12. Dale

Dale New Member

Oh, I don't think that a civil union is a private contract either. It is quite public as it is a contract between the two and the state.

13. Dale

Dale New Member

Does anyone know more about how contracts work, as in public or private? It would seem public but I am not sure...I will have to look into that more.

14. JesusandGeorge04

JesusandGeorge04 New Member

Ummm... why is it our business what others do under their religious tenets? As even many Christian churches wish to marry same-sex couples, isn't the prohibition of such a first-amendment violation?

This issue is a matter between one and god (or whatever one wishes to believe in), an A-B relationship that the rest of us need to C our way out of.

15. Dale

Dale New Member

I mostly agree with you although I do belive that the first amendment really was only talking about Christians. The point was not to have any one denomination ruling over another, So we could have Baptist, Lutherans, etc.
    We were founded t have one God, but liberty was assumed to worship the God of the bible in anyway one saw fit. I don't think many even considerd other Gods back then. It just wasn't the same issue that it is today since we were basically all Christians back then in a general sence of the term

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Uhhh, calm down. I was referring to the state definition of marriage in regards to the difference between a marriage and a civil union.
    Sorry, but the context of the first amendment is not specific to one faith or another. Good thing, too, because many of the early Christians of one sect did not consider Christians of another sect to be Christians. Many Baptists and Calvinists viewed Anglicans and Roman Catholics as idolaters. It should be noted that many of the founding fathers were not Christians, but deists.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

That's true. Some of the founders participated in state constitutions that required a person to be a Protestant in order to hold office. That shows the context of the thinking.

18. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Quakers were hanged for heresy in Massachusetts.

19. Dale

Dale New Member

Uhhh, calm down. I was referring to the state definition of marriage in regards to the difference between a marriage and a civil union.
    Sorry, but the context of the first amendment is not specific to one faith or another. Good thing, too, because many of the early Christians of one sect did not consider Christians of another sect to be Christians. Many Baptists and Calvinists viewed Anglicans and Roman Catholics as idolaters. It should be noted that many of the founding fathers were not Christians, but deists.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I hope I didn't come accross like I wasn't calm. The problem with written text is that you can't see emotion NEARLY as well as you can in person.

I saw another post the other day where someone was causeing a lot of confusion because he was using sarcasm but it took me a while (and many other) to figure out that what he was saying.
    I try to be cleat but sometime it looks like I don't succeed :-(

20. billwald

billwald New Member

God created lots of things but marriage was not a religious matter until the Orthodox Catholic Church made it a sacrament after Rome "fell."

In the USofA, marriage licenses were invented to prevent miscegenation.