1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

classic crusade and church growth movement

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Mar 31, 2008.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought of the baptistboard and debates over the church growth movement while watching a Billy Graham classic from Madison Square Garden in 1957 this week.

Paraphrasing, at one point he mentioned that churches and ministries like to send in reports of their high numbers and brag about their high numbers. Then he pointed out that Jesus weeded out the excess when crowds got large by telling them they had to take up their crosses and follow Him.

I wonder if our mega churches are mega on target, and thus blessed by God, or if they are pandering to itching ears?

I am sure the answer is probably some of both, depending on the church.

Interesting thought.

2. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Not many on this board are willing to "take up their crosses and follow Him." It's usually called "works salvation" or "Lordship salvation" and rejected.

3. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't have to be. Works salvation means working to BE saved. Taking up your cross means working BECAUSE you are saved.

4. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I have often wondered how biblical are the methods modern Christianity uses to quantify salvation. For example, if the method one uses to quantify it is baptism, "we baptised x number of new believers," then what does that say about that groups plan of salvation.

Can salvation be quantified in this sense? What do most churches use? Believers baptism? Accepting Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? Membership in the local church?

And why the big deal on putting numbers to salvation anyway?

5. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I think it is important to look at the "numbers" to check nemerical growth. But other than that they are not a big priority to me. If one or one hundred find Chirst then Heaven throws a party!

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mt 7:14 - For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does that fit in with the following verses?

Luke 9:23-25, "And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it. "For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?