1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 23, 2008.

?
  1. Chicago

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Queen

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. ABBA

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. REO Speedwagon

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  5. Beatles

23 vote(s)
    46.0%
  6. Eagles

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  7. Fleetwood Mac

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  8. Boston

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. Other

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  10. None of the above (or I hate classic rock)

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Kerry Livgren, one of the founding members and primary songwriters of the group, Kansas, lived about fifteen miles from us a few years back when our daughter was young. She got to go over to his house and swim with some friends and family of Kerry. When we went to pick her up we got a tour of his home and got to see his recording studio and gold records. It was neat. He wrote some profound stuff with Kansas. Dust in the wind, Carry on wayward son...
    He converted to Christianity and won Dove Awards for some of his work in gospel. :thumbs:
    I think he now resides back in Kansas.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

U2
    Little Feat
    Dr John
    Zeplin
    BTO
    the list goes on and on!

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Whichever group it is, it needs more cowbells. I gotta have more cowbells!

love,

Sopranette

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Grand Funk Railroad used cowbells in the song "We're an American Band". Another song by a favored band.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Alright, all she wanted was an answer, but it really doesn't matter at all since I'm a boy blue singing a lonesome lullaby because an evil woman didn't list my favorite group. If the poll required a telephone line, I would be calling America, but since the poll will change with each response, making it a living thing, I'll just stay in a state of mind having an ordinary dream. I'll answer the poll in my own time, after I have my moment in paradise. Don't bring me down, but my favorite group is Electric Light Orchestra and that song by Jeff Lynne, well, I can't get it out of my head. Do ya like them too? Just for love and easy money, how many ELO song titles did I use in this response that I think is so fine, but in reality, isn't?

You asked for it. Here it is. More cowbell. :D

#25 ccrobinson, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The only "rock" I like is the rock and roll of the 50's and 60's. After that time (in my opinion) they did very little good music. My favorite music is southern gospel.

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If They are from the 60's and 70's, they are great!

If you look at the last page of my web site http://www.removethehaze.com, you will see what my wife have spent the last 24 years perfecting in our home studio. We love the oldies, and found a way to sing these song to the glory of Jesus by changing the lyrics to words that lift our God up high!

Great post Saggywoman, and a ton of great responses.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

8. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Steely Dan, ELO and Rush are my favorites. The classic rock stations are the only ones my car radio pick up. (except between 11 am to 2pm when am radio rules with the other Rush!)

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I wanted to include Styx!!

And I like Billy JOel..

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Cool --- thanks for letting me know that. I'll tell my son.

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting someone to post her something like, "You bunch of heathens. Repent of you sins. Turn or burn! Don't you know that kind of music is from the Devil!" And then the fights would break out.

Oh well...

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

That makes 2 of us who expected that.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

12 [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

More than 12.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Less than 20? Oh btb, did you read my first post in this thread? #17

#35 Palatka51, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  16. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

More then 12, less than 20.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

actually, I was expecting it too.

18. thomas not doubting

thomas not doubting New Member

I used to listen to classic rock before I became a Christian. At the age of 18, I was involved in a serious car accident and suffered a broken jaw (on both sides) that needed surgery.

The state troopers told us that someone should have died in that accident.

I was born 3 months premature with only a 1 out of 10 chance of living. After beating those odds and then the accident, I began to think seriously about the fragility of life and that God had given me another chance. I'd better start thinking seriously about God!

My older sister (much older, 14 years older than I) had become a Christian just a few months before this and had been talking about Christ and her new found faith. She and her husband had accepted Christ and were baptized and along with their daughter attending a local Baptist church. I had some interest in hearing what she had to say but I knew she would push me into things that I probably wasn't ready for yet, so I just listened.

The Spirit Of The Lord was speaking to me as well!

I remember telling her when she came to visit me in the hospital that I was going to have to come to her church! She and her husband were very happy to hear me say this! I was discharged from the hospital on a Saturday and the next day I was in a Christian church for the first time in my life (this was a Baptist church). I began hearing things about Christ and the Bible that I had never known.

To make a long story short, I accepted Christ about 7 weeks later and was baptized and joined the Baptist church a few weeks after that. I was a member in that church for 27 years.

No, this wasn't a fundamentalist Baptist Church. It was a Baptist General Conference church. Theologically it was fairly conservative but pretty much 'priesthood of the believer' when it came to other things such as rock music. No one would have told me to give up listening to a certain kind of music, get a haircut, to only read from one version of the Bible or that women shouldn't wear pants (in fact, I didn't even know there were such Baptists until I got online about 10 years ago).

Nevertheless, after I became a Christian, my "love" of rock music rapidly began to change. The music quickly began to seem empty and meaningless. There was a whole new dimension to life that I had not known as a non Christian and the words and music now seemed as flat and one-dimensional as a child's painting.

In another 18 months, I had given away all of my rock albums. As I said before, no one in the church told me to, my heart had changed and the music meant nothing to me anymore.

Several years later, in the same Baptist Church, there were two married couples that decided to get together and form a musical gtoup. The two men were attending Seminary, and all four had been on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ in both the U.S. and Europe. Three of the four of them had been in Christain Music groups with Campus Crusade and had B.A. degrees in music. For several years I was involvedwith their ministry and ran their sound at their concerts. They even did an album (their producer was a man who was the producer for a Christian Rock group well known at the time "Second Chapter Of Acts").

They started out pretty MOR (middle of the road) but had to make a choice of being either musically more conservative or contemporary. They did go somewhat more on the rock side although not completely. Though I did not listen to any kind of Christian Rock, I enjoyed my ministry with them. After about 5 years, they did go on to pastor churches and left the full-time music ministry.

Their music was the only Christian "contemporary" music that I ever listened to (or enjoyed, for that matter.)

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saggy, what if you consider Elvis, Jerry Lee, et al. to be "Classic"?

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Well did ya? Repent, that is.