1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Classical" Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by The Archangel, Dec 17, 2010.

1. tduncan

tduncan New Member

I grew up with music but never developed a taste for classical until I went to BJU. I fell in love with it and the music has been a mainstay in my life ever since.

During the days, I listen to Classical UK (Classic FM) out of London and greatly enjoy the mix they have. I also keep it on when I am studying on the weekends as it does help me concentrate.

My all time favorite pieces are Water Music by Handel and Symphony No. 9 in E Minor by Dvořák. My favorite group is the Canadian Brass.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mendelssohn YES, Pacobel, Believe it or not Wagner, Bach Brndenburg CCONCERTO & his Christmas Oratorio, Fur Elise is a piece I taught my young son (Beethoven) through Charley Brown - kids accept classical music thru things like that, Moonlight Sonata & Pastoral Symphony--Again Beethoven, copeland Fanfare for Man, Mozart Arias sung by Cecilia Bartoli, Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini LOL, Chopin Prelude # 7 in A, Mozart's piano concerto # 23 in A & Symphony # 25 in G minor, From my past , veried Ava Maria's (Bach, Schubert, Verdi) .... Italian songs from my past (Tu, ca nun chiagne; O tu che in seno agli angeli)
    Mostly Mario Lanza & I can go on....can I bring my Ipod?

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I sometimes listen to Classic FM, but I prefer BBC Radio 3, because you generally get whole works there, not single movements. No commercial breaks, either! If you are not in the UK (or even if you are) you can listen to Radio 3 online, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/ Just click on "Listen Live".

By the way, what's BJU? A music college?

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

You call your son Beethoven?? :)

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, my wife was commenting about the ethnicity influences... (particularlly her German side) .... Gleefully.

My son is interested in all things German....cars, language, beer, LOL etc..... He has indicated that my 1st grandchild if male would probably be named Otto, after his maternal grandfather. Kinda forgets my Welsh/Italian side.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Forgive me, I was only kidding - I knew what you meant really. :)

7. tduncan

tduncan New Member

Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC. Their music program is excellent.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, I know but now I got to get used to calling someone in my family OTTO..... I will have to teach him to fight..LOL

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    dont they make sausages also?

Just funnin ya!

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I love flute and such and those who are very talented on piano. Anything with more than a bit of percussion/brass is at the bottom of my list. Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture is my idea of a sensory overload nightmare.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about Voice. Soprano's & Tenors & Baritone

I personally know & revere Plasido Domingo ....but he has gotten older now. Mario Lanza was our Italian families hero. Nobody can touch his Tuca nun chiagne though Jose Carreras attempted it in 1994. celicia bartoli can almost just touch Maria Callis ...she is a Mezzo.

12. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Recently I "re-discovered" Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto. While probably not as well known as his 5th (the "Emperor"), the 1st is a beautiful work.

Wouldn't be wonderful if we as God's children could work together in harmony just as a symphony orchestra does when it performs a great classical masterpiece? I think of it as our Heavenly Father being the composer; His Word being the score; the Holy Spirit being the conductor; and we being the musicians. Each instrument playing its particular part yet collectively forming a whole in order to produce such pleasing music.

"Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethern to dwell together in unity!" --- Psalm 133:1

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beethoven's 5th and 9th
    Dvorak New World Symphony
    The Chinese concerto, The Butterfly Lovers
    Grofé's Grand Canyon Suite
    Copeland's Appalachian Spring

Just to name a few

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent thoughts to contemplate.....also to have been composed by a man who was deaf... God certainly shows that he is Sovereign. Blessings!

15. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

My Great Grandfather was a retired Navy Band Master Chief who introduced me to many Classical Pieces:

Such as:

Rossini's William tell Overture aka The Lone Ranger Theme

Flight of the Bumble Bee aka Green Hornet Theme

Edvard Greigs In the Hall of The Mountain King from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves(?)

And, many many more, at a young age.

It got me interested and I now listen to the music behind Cartoons and Movies and look for "familiar" pieces...

But, my all time classical favorites have to be anything on a real Pipe Organ played in a large empty room... Of course, in person is good too! :smilewinkgrin:

16. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Did anyone mention Rachmoninoff (sp?)

And, don't forget the over used Wagners Flight of the Valkyries...

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

EWF, have you heard of Richard Perlmutter for your grandkids? Like PDQ Bach for kids. I love using these CD's to introduce children to classical composers and the songs crack me up as well!
    His CD's are named "Beethoven's Wig" and there are different ones. (1, 2, 3, etc.)

Here's his version of Fur Elise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fiCn_qgRs4

Edited to add that yep, I love voice! I'm currently listening to Maria Callas while I sit here and pretend I'm writing. LOL
    Let me know if you find any forlorn true contralto's hanging out in any classical music pieces that aren't dark and depressing.

#37 Gina B, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  18. Heda

Heda New Member

I love Vivaldi, Bach, Mozart, Dvořák! Classical music is the best! :)