1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Clear up confusion about tongues!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are not talking about PERSONAL growth but about the chosen MEANS to provide the revealed will of God. These are revelatory gifts and means to reveal the will of God. They are "in part" meaning they do not provide a MATURE or COMPLETE means for that end. What provides a compelte and Mature means for that end? Paul tells you that in 2 Tim. 2:1

This is his usual kind of expression for claiming inspiration of his writings (2 Thes. 2:15; 3:6) and Peter confirms (2 Pet. 3:15-17).

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

Don't see what you are referring to in 2 Tim.
    "Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Chirst Jesus."

What did they reveal in Acts 2, 10, 19?

It does not say what you are trying to prove through this scripture! It simply says that what he writes is a commandment of the Lord.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Well, sorry that went over your head..it was plain to me! Tongues is talking to God..to me that is a purpose!

Notice that the purpose for tongues at Pentecost was not for sharing the Gospel either!
    Everytime they are magnifying God, praising God, talking to God!

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Again, verses 16-17 show the MEANS rather than refer to personal amount of knowlege.

3000 jews in Acts 2
    Jewish witnesses in Acts 10
    Jewish synoguoge in Acts 19:7

He is claiming that his written teachings are the Lord's Commands. Except for for 1 cor. 14:20-21, If you can find these commands anywhere in the Old Testament I would like to see them. Do you believe 1 Corinthians is the Word of God written under inspiration? If so, then what basis would you support that belief?

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

If you were an apostle I would be listening to your opinion but you are not. If what you are writing was by inspiration I would take heed but it is not. Paul is an apostle but he used God's Word as his authority for providing a MATURE understanding of God's design for tongues. I think it would be best to follow him instead of you?!?

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I don't think we are going to get anywhere in this discussion. The Moderator usually closes down a thread when it has reached 30 pages and this has gone to at least 31 pages.

We don't agree but we can disagree agreeably. Again, I do appreciate the fact that you are one of the very few charismatics that actually attempt to provide a Biblical defense for tongues. I appreciate that and I do respect you for that.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

It still does not prove that the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, tongues being one of them is not needed today!

It still does not prove that tongues is not talking to God, magnifying God!

I believe the whole Bible is written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit! Your point is taken! But I disagree!

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Well, the old saying still is true, "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I will summarize my primary points.

1. 1 Cor. 14:2 says nothing about prayer but "speaketh" and the contextual reason given by Paul that none understand it but God is because there is no interpretation accompanying it - vv. 3-11.

2. 1 Cor. 14:14-17 says nothing about a PRIVATE prayer tongue but is in the context of listeners (v. 17) and Paul is repudiating the idea of vocalizing tongues in any manner without understanding by both the speaker (v. 15) and by the hearers (v. 17).

3. 1 Cor. 14:20-23 is providing the MATURE and BIBLICAL design God has behind tongues and it is not for the use of believer's among themselves but as a "sign" to the Jewish people that their messiah has come and as a warning of judgement for refusing this sign.

4. Tongues like all gifts are sovereignly bestowed by God's will not our will (12:11) and each church member is gifted and fitted to Gods design in the church body not their desired gift or function (12:18) and so such gifts obviously are not shared by all Christians just as not all functions are shared by all Christians (12:28-30) and so zealously pursuing such gifts as they are doing is foolish and there is a BETTER WAY - the way of love.

5. Revelatory gifts are "in part" as they but a temporary MEANS toward a more MATURE/PERFECT COMPLETED means to convey God's revealed will which is the apostolic finished New Testament and completed canon. - 1 Cor. 13:8-10.

6. In the "NOW" of apostolic Christianity before this completed means arrives tongues is temporary and juvinal which will cease to exist BEFORE other revelatory gifts are stopped by the completed revelation of the N.T. - 1 Cor. 13:11

7. In the "NOW" our revelatory means is like a blurred mirror that does not provide a MATURE reflection as will be the case when the completed revelation of God will "then." So the in part revelations don't give us the whole picture. - 1 Cor. 13:12

8. In the "NOW" mature use of spiritual gifts in the absence of completed revelation is the way of love whereby the principles of let all things be done for edification of others, according to order and descency and in keeping with the Scriptures they do have - 1 Cor. 13:13

9. During apostolic times sign gifts were the "sign" of an apostles and only apostles exercised them between acts 2 and Acts 6. From Acts 6 forward it was through apostolic laying on of hands such gifts were imparted.

10. That the phrase "praying in the Spirit" has no reference to tongues whatsoever but refers to simply praying under the leadership of the Spirit of God regardless if it for supplicationary prayer, intercessory prayer, thankgiving prayer, etc.

11. Today the so-called gift of tongues is nothing more than esctatic utterances common to other religions and the charistmatic movement is nothing but chaos, confusion, division and characterized by false doctrines clear evidence of what spirit is behind it.

#309 The Biblicist, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  10. awaken

awaken Active Member

A number of years ago I was very much against tongues because of my doctrinal background. However, I discovered to my shock that I needed to discard my view because I could not honestly and prayerfully find the Scriptural evidence to support it which would outweigh the evidence against it.

After prayerfully and thoroughly and objectively studying every New Testament passage on tongues, my conclusion is that "praying in the Spirit" and "praying in tongues" are two ways of saying the same thing. Based on Ephesians 6:18 and Jude 1:20, this means that all Christians should be praying in tongues "on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." In other words, when we have prayers and requests in our hearts and minds, we can pray in tongues about these things and allow the Holy Spirit to intercede for us (or through us). And based on Romans 8:26, there might be times when we will groan without words if the Holy Spirit is interceding for us in that way. I realize that these might be distasteful conclusions to many people (as they were to me a number of years ago!), but we must always base our beliefs and our actions on what Scripture says, not on what we happen to like or dislike.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." (Ephesians 6:18)

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are a troll and stalker. Please stay off this board.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He is, and having said that this thread is well past 30 pages and needs to be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.