1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clergy urged to turn in a tithe of lawbreakers

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by windcatcher, May 5, 2008.

1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

From here:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/18441469.html

Please visit the link to see the full article.

My question: Isn't this what the governments did in Germany and Russia: Persuade the organized church to be an enforcement arm of the state?

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Well, I'll admit to confused opinion: I don't agree with sheltering or protecting felons from incarceration: but I am disturbed by the precident of government requesting churches and their leadership to get involved in enforcement. (I do think a pastor or anyone, for that matter, who has knowledge of a person or persons planning or involved in harm to others, has the right and moral justification for informing the authorities.)

Any other opinions?
    Any other positions?
    :type:

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In the US we used to severely criticize the old USSR and other countries for encouraging this type of activity. I see it as another example of the government moving toward totalitarianism.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree, and it's a terrible direction to take.

5. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I know of a guy that sought council from his pastor, because of depression, including suicidal thoughts. Authorities were informed and he was whisked away on a suicide hold. Three days later, or so, he killed himself. Some pastor<---<< I'd like to know this pastors thoughts.

No, don't make pastors bounty hunters, let them council. (those that do council of course)

#5 hillclimber1, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  6. Joe

Joe New Member

Scary :eek: If I hate my neighbor, then I can just call the authorities and tell them he is suicidal so they will take him away? Not good.

Ditto to what Windcatcher said

7. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

So you're saying that you would allow a person you believed to be suicidal to turn around and walk out of your office?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I agree, the church should not shelter or protect criminals, goverment should not request churches be involved. I also believe if anyone knows of a crime they should inform authorities.

9. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

You know, I am vexed over this issue, and have been since it happened, but in this case, turning him in was not the right thing to do, obviously. His note revealed his feeling of betrayal. If pastors become known for this action, these people will not seek them out, if they have serious suicidal thoughts. If I were in that position, I would not go to a pastor, if I thought he'd "turn me in".

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's sad that the government would even have to make such a request in the first place because of what it suggests. By asking for this kind of help it seems to me that the goverment, in this particular area, believes that the clergy and churches are protecting criminals. It's disturbing that law enforcement doesn't trust the clergy to do the right thing. I have enough sense to know when to contact the authorities and when not too. I don't need the government's admonishment for help.

11. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Missouri anything that is told to me in the context of pastoral counseling is protected by state law -ie, I do not have to testify in court and do not have to reveal any information to the authorities.

Of course I am bound to report child abuse and would anyway regardless of the law.