1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clippard, embattled Missouri Baptist exec, fired in closed-door session

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Apr 10, 2007.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.abpnews.com/www/1995.article

Clippard, embattled Missouri Baptist exec, fired in closed-door session
    By Vicki Brown and Greg Warner
    Published April 10, 2007

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (ABP) -- David Clippard, embattled executive director of the Missouri Baptist Convention, was fired April 10 by the convention's Executive Board.

Following a second closed-door meeting about Clippard's leadership within six months, Executive Board members voted 44-7 to terminate him immediately, according to the convention's attorney.

David Tolliver, a member of the convention's executive staff, was named interim executive director, according to sources in the meeting at the convention building in Jefferson City.

Although Clippard, a conservative, was hired in 2002 by the conservatives who control the Missouri Baptist Convention and its Executive Board, several decisions in recent years demonstrated to many that he was out of step with the majority of those leaders. In an emotional, closed-door showdown last September between Clippard and Baptist powerbroker Roger Moran, board members reportedly argued over Clippard's leadership but took no vote.

One month later, Clippard made national headlines when he preached a sermon claiming the "real threat" to the United States is that "Islam has a strategic plan to conquer and occupy America."

Critics viewed Clippard's style as autocratic and dismissive. He drew criticism for settling a harassment lawsuit filed against him by former convention controller Carol Kaylor. He later opposed the Executive Board's decision to contribute $100,000 to a political coalition against embryonic stem-cell research and $200,000 to Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, a Southern Baptist school in Kansas City.

Three years ago, the convention signed a secret contract to sell its headquarters property for $2.75 million, but the deal fell through when local voters blocked a sales-tax increase to fund the new county facilities to be built on the downtown site. Clippard fired the associate editor of The Pathway, the convention-controlled newspaper, for revealing details of the contract, which angered the Executive Board.

Clippard was associate executive director of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma when he was hired by the Missouri board to replace Jim Hill, who resigned in protest of actions taken by the Executive Board.

As Clippard lost favor with Missouri Baptist leaders, calls for his replacement grew, resulting in the tumultuous Sept. 22 meeting.

Expecting another showdown when the Executive Board convened again April 10, chairman Michael Green apologized for the raucous nature of the September meeting and pledged: "We're not going to act like a bunch of monkeys in the St. Louis Zoo. … We've got to work together."

Green, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in Republic, called for an executive session of only board members. Member Don Denney made a motion to override Green. But the convention's general counsel, Michael Whitehead, said the board's bylaws required that a contract issue, such as a personnel decision, be handled in private. Otherwise, the Kansas City lawyer said, the board members would leave themselves open to a lawsuit.

The board sustained Green and Whitehead, and the group met for more than four hours behind closed doors. Later, in an unusual move, the convention' staff was summoned for a half-hour meeting with the board.

Afterward the meeting was opened to others in attendance. The group of about 25 people included pastors, laypeople and at least three reporters, including one from The Pathway. However, a free-lance reporter representing Associated Baptist Press was forced to leave the meeting without explanation.

The 44-7 vote was taken during this second session.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Sad day here in the MBC. It seems as if our state convention is on the verge of a major meltdown unless the Lord intervenes.

I will be in prayer for David Tolliver, Mike Green and all of those who will be in leadership during this critical time.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

A Sad Note

:tear: And therein lies the results of out of control conventionism. Matter of fact it is just and extreme example of why "conventions" and "associations" are NOT a good idea and I dare say probably not even SCRIPTURAL in the first place. I go to and am a member of an SBC church....but my 1st loyalty is to the Word of God (KJV please) and the God of the Word. Where they get off track from the Book,I get off track with them. As Bible Believing Christians our first and only loyalty should be to the Lord Jesus Christ. I attend the church I go to because I believe that is where the Lord placed me at this time in my life.....but that could always be subject to change if I am sensitive to His leading. It has nothing to do with whether the church is SBC or Independent or for that matter even "baptist". We need to be "people of the Book". Apparently many in the state of Missouri have lost sight of that. Sad...very sad.

:tonofbricks: Greg Sr.:saint:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not from Missouri, and I'm quite unfamiliar with Missouri Baptist politics.

But I don't remember the last time I heard about anything SBC-wise out of Missouri that didn't involve fighting, lawsuits between believers, contention, and outright hatred.

Liberal, conservative...it doesn't seem like any of the big dogs get along up there. I'm sure there are many that do, but the news is never good.

It's not been a shining moment for the SBC in the Show Me State.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are showing the world who they are.