1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clothing, Jewelry, Make up

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Claudia_T, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Clothing, Jewelry, Make up

In my own Denomination which is Seventh Day Adventist, there is alot of conflict going on when it comes to the topics of How you Dress, Jewelry and Make up on women. How you dress goes for men and women alike, of course.

I would like to tell the general idea of the SDA Church on this as far as "The Conservative" view goes and then see what other Denominations and individuals feel about this subject.

The main idea when it comes to clothing, jewelry and make up is found in the book of Timothy:

1Tm:2:
    9: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array

1 Peter 3:
    1: Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
    2: While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
    10: But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
    3: Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
    4: But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Note that God desires us to have that "inner adorning" that people might behold that in us and be won to the gospel message.

Start by comparing Jesus and how He must've looked and by contrast, the Pope all decked out with his regalia.

Isa:53:2: For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Rv:17:4: And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication

What do you think of this? When you see a woman or a man all decked out on the outside do you automatically think there isnt much on the inside? Our Society focuses alot on outward looks and beauty rather than what is on the inside.

As a side note, will people PLEASE refrain from accusing others on here of being "judgmental" just because they state their own opinions on this topic? Thanks in advance.

Claudia

#1 Claudia_T, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Honey, If your barn needs painted.........PAINT IT!

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You beat me to it!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

No. If your not talking about immodest clothing, but just how dressed up a person looks, then absolutely no. People forget, God looks on the heart. Being well dressed and neat has nothing to do with a persons spirituality. I may not agree with looking like that, but it does not mean the are less spiritual, or not christian.

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have an opinion one way or the other as to legality, but I've seen many women in different states of "paint" and I prefer makeup on most. Our dear Leah, is one that needs no make up at all.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

So if we are to judge that "there's not much on the inside," based upon the outside appearance, don't we become like society? Aren't we conforming to the world's standard? You're right...judging the superficial is exactly what society does...which is a very good reason for us to go deeper.

The 1 Timothy and 1 Peter passages don't condemn dressing or looking good...it compares the fleeting temporality of the outward with the unfading beauty of a woman devoted to God. She should acquire her self-worth and confidence from that...rather than from just the outer shell.

Funny you should bring this up...this was a large part of a 3-week series on beauty and self-esteem we just finished up. (I think I posted the outline in the "sermon outlines" thread--shameless plug :laugh: ).

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting....

8. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, a lot depends on the cultures & norms of where one lives. Here, if someone started talking about skirts only, no make-up, no earrings, no "modern" hair styles, etc., one might think that the person was Amish.

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

back to the barn analogy . . . painting the barn doesn't change what's on the inside or the barn's purpose. How many of us have made a judgement that's turned out to be wrong based on how someone looked on the outside?

I don't really care if folks spend a great deal of time putting how they look together. I also know folks who just have the knack and can pull a great look together in no time. I am concerned that people spend time working on the spiritual -- personally, it seems way too easy to neglect what others can't see.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: :applause: Very wise words.

11. godsdaughter

godsdaughter New Member

Ditto!

McDirector I agree, well said! :wavey:

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

What about when you forget about everyone else and think about as a Christian how YOU yourself should dress.

At the very opening statement I showed that Bible verse that says wives should be a certain way so that "without the Word" they could win their unbelieving husbands.

THEN it goes on to tell these wives to dress not with pearls or costly array but worrying about the "inner" person.

Not judging anyone else, but just if you had to sit there and think about what type of clothing you would wear in order ro "recommend" your Christianity to the world, what would you say?

The reason I ask is there was this man who was REALLY into some worldly stuff and he said the thing that really got him interested in Christianity now that he thought about it, was at this church they all just looked so "differently" than the rest of the world.

see in MY church there's this big arguement type thing where some people feel we have to be LIKE the world in some respects in order to win the world, then there's the other side that feels you need to be DIFFERENT than the world in order to win the world and that you shouldnt become like the world just to win people... you should just do like the Bible says...

any thoughts on this?

see I had this idea that Baptists were really strict when it comes to clothing I guess I got that idea because I accidentally found a website with clothing for Baptist women... kinda like long plain type dresses, etc...

Claudia

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

It was clothing that made some Protestant Reformers change their minds about things, so thats why I mentioned the difference between how Jesus was dress and the Pope was dressed. I just thought it was interesting how powerful just how you dress can be:

About this time there arrived in Prague two strangers from England, men of learning, who had received the light and had come to spread it in this distant land. Beginning with an open attack on the pope's supremacy, they were soon silenced by the authorities; but being unwilling to relinquish their purpose, they had recourse to other measures. Being artists as well as preachers, they proceeded to exercise their skill. In a place open to the public they drew two pictures. One represented the entrance of Christ into Jerusalem, "meek, and sitting upon an ass" (Matthew 21:5), and followed by His disciples in travel-worn garments and with naked feet. The other picture portrayed a pontifical procession--the pope arrayed in his rich robes and triple crown, mounted upon a horse magnificently adorned, preceded by trumpeters and followed by cardinals and prelates in dazzling array.
    Here was a sermon which arrested the attention of all classes. Crowds came to gaze upon the drawings. None could fail to read the moral, and many were deeply impressed by the contrast between the meekness and humility of Christ the Master and the pride and arrogance of the pope, His professed servant. There was great commotion in Prague, and the strangers after a time found it necessary, for their own safety, to depart. But the lesson they had taught was not forgotten. The pictures made a deep impression on the mind of Huss and led him to a closer study of the Bible and of Wycliffe's writings. Though he was not prepared, even yet, to accept all the reforms advocated by Wycliffe, he saw more clearly the true character of the papacy and with greater zeal denounced the pride, the ambition, and the corruption of the hierarchy.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this verse cited means no plaiting the hair and not wearing of gold, then to be consistent does it also mean no putting on of apparel?... no plaited hair, no gold, no clothes.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

If we aren't to wear braided hair and makeup and jewlery, then according to your proof text we aren't wear clothing either.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Depends on your translation. The NKJV says "fine apparel". I think we all know it means "fancy clothes".

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know, thats what her vereses say, I was using her own translation.