1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNN program about Purpose Driven Life

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by CHatfield, Mar 20, 2005.

1. CHatfield

CHatfield New Member

Did any of you see it? Comments? Do you think it will be repeated? We saw a clip from it at church this morning, but I would like to see the whole thing.

2. Pitipat

Pitipat New Member

I would like to ask a question, and it is. Would the young woman who read from the PDL to the Atlanta Courthose Killer recieved as much attention and national press if she had read from the Scritures?

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Pitipat,
    Very good question! I think not. Oh, if it had been the Scriptures, she would have certainly received attention (though not all positive), but since it was PDL and PDL is "Hot" right now and since everyone wants to jump on the "Hot" bandwagon....Much attention. The question is...how can this be used to glorify Father God?
    Any thoughts?

4. west

west New Member

He did say on Larry Kings Show that its not his words that can do anything but the Scriptures that are in his book that can .I read PDL last year and liked it .

5. Pistos

Pistos New Member

The Danger... much more christians nowadays read other books (ie PDL) rather than the Bible.

The Danger... much more Christians memorized television commercial rather than Bible verses.

Take heed lest ye be deceived and depart from the living God. [Heb.3:12]

6. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

PDL has thousands of verses. When one reads PDL, he or she cannot help but be inundated with God's truth. I don't think it's as bad a thing as several of the people on this board.

7. Pistos

Pistos New Member

In every road of our life there must be WARNING SIGNS that we must take heed lest we fall. I'm just implying the IMPORTANCE of studying our Bible must come first.

Commentaries are good as candies but not like the Word of God which is the best dish everyday. [​IMG]

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I wouldn't get too, too excited about PDL or PDC----church fads come and go---like the church gym and ball field(such great ideas "back then" but now just "thangs" that require maintenance and mowing!!)

---a year from now it'll be some other book---and it'll be funny to watch---how folks can memorize whole chapters of PDL---but can't even stand and recite the 66 books of the Bible!!!

Folks, listen!!! You want purpose in life??? Simply do what John the Baptist surrendered to do when he said---"I must decrease, He must increase!!!"

PS---Pistos!!! PDL isn't a commentary---not even close!!!

9. Pistos

Pistos New Member

If it isn't commentary, what is it? [​IMG] I categorized it as commentary. [​IMG]

10. west

west New Member

There is nothing wrong with reading books and books but they must lead you to the Book .
    Luther

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Scott.

There are scriptures untold in that book. No one that I know of has ever used it as a substitute for God's Word. It isn't intended that way. It isn't marketed that way and it isn't viewed that way except for people who seemingly dislike it.

I just wonder if they have read it or not.

My church went through the 40 Days of Purpose program and it made us WANT to read the Bible more. My pastor was very excited about it and he is a HIGHLY conservative, deeply fundamentalist preacher.

I don't understand the big bru-ha-ha over this book!

Pitipat - you asked if the young woman would have received as much national attention if she had read to the killer from the scriptures.

Yes, I believe she would have and I don't think it would have been negative.

I don't understand the criticism of this book. It's a wonderful group study book that leads people closer to the Lord - closer in worship, bible study, praise, doing His will, obedience,....the whole nine yards.

It's not the be-all, end-all of Christian literature by any means, but it is certainly a very good book.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

12. gopchad

gopchad New Member

Amen! Amen! Amen!

I have had purpose since August 12, 1989, the day Christ saved me! I do not want or need Rick Warren or anyone else. I need to read and study THE Book! I need the working of the Holy Spirit in me. I need to die to self, and proclaim Christ and Him crucified to a lost and dying world that has no hope or purpose, and can have none apart from the regenerating power of Christ.

A great link on the danger of the Purpose Driven Life:
    http://www.sacredsandwich.com/warren_scripture.htm