1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNN/ prosperity 'gospel' blasphemy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mexdeaf, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read that article earlier this morning and found a number of obvious errors in it. Let me just name two:

1. The Donkey error.

The "preacher" in the news story (Rev. C. Thomas Anderson, senior pastor of the Living Word Bible Church in Mesa, Arizon) said:

"Even Jesus' parents, Mary and Joseph, lived and traveled in style, he says. "Mary and Joseph took a Cadillac to get to Bethlehem because the finest transportation of their day was a donkey," says Anderson. "Poor people ate their donkey. Only the wealthy used it as transportation."

Of course that is totally bogus. The Bible says nothing about Mary and Joseph traveling on a donkey. All one has to do is read Matthew and Luke's account to figure that out. Clearly the "Reverend" Anderson is not Biblically informed. Yet he is a "Reverend"? I fear for his flock.

Truthfully, Mary and Joseph probably traveled in a caravan of people heading towards Bethlehem or the generally region. We see them doing this in Luke 2:44.

The donkey part of the Nativity is a myth added to the Scriptures and history. Any preacher or "Reverend" should know this.

2. Wealthy Garments

The "Reverend" enlightens us of his ignorance even more when he stated:

"Jesus had to be wealthy because the Roman soldiers who crucified him gambled for his expensive undergarments."

It is common knowledge among people who have carefully studied the history/text (etc) that it was common for the garments of the victim to be given to the executioners. There is nothing in any of the Gospel accounts, the only historical accounts of these events, about the garments being "expensive" or fancy in any way.

I could cite other problems but I think that is enough to discredit this "Reverend" among Christians who take the Word of God seriously.

Btw...I emailed the pastor/church about these two errors. We will see what, if anything, they have to say about this.

#2 Martin, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
  3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

When Jesus was born His parents were given some very precious items. How much gold?

What was gold worth in those days, enough to set you up in a carpenters business for sure.

I love the background study of Scripture.

I believe though that this prosperity teaching stuff is just a caricature of the truth.

God does bless us that is true but not in a worldly way surely.

#3 David Michael Harris, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
  4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Martin,

Excellent exegesis. Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted as to any responses.

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Proverbs 30:8 Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the food that is my portion

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I cannot agree. John 19:23 says the garment was "seamless, woven in one piece." The fact that John makes any mention of this garment indicates it was unusual, so it isn't much of a stretch to conclude it was valuable.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The reason that is mentioned is because it is a fulfillment of prophecy (Jn 19:24-25, Ps 22:18). It has nothing whatsoever to do with the value of the tunic. It was a one-piece item and, to keep from tearing it up, the soldiers cast lots to see who would get it. Keep in mind, it was part of their "pay" for their role in the execution. A torn up tunic would be little use to them.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Sorry, Martin, I see the point you're trying to make but I am not convinced. There is no prophecy of a seamless tunic. John thought it was sufficiently remarkable to include it in his gospel. That means it was not an ordinary run of the mill tunic. In fact, it would be unusual to find such a garment even with today's technology.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bah, I have seven seamless tunics to wear on a daily basis...don't you? ;) ;) ;) :p