1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Co-belligerence: Working Together with Non-beleivers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Oct 27, 2015.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Yes, I know I have a misspelling in the title.]

I learned a new word today. Co-belligerence. When Christians work together with non-believers towards a common good.

I found an article discussing Christians voting for non-Christians for public office and found it very truthful.

The author cited that there were Biblical accounts of believers finding themselves working along pagans in high places of political authority for a greater good.
    • Genesis 41:37-57 - God used Pharaoh to establish Joseph in a position of authority in Egypt.
    • 1 Kings 5:1-12 – Hiram, King of Tyre helped Solomon build the Temple.
    • Daniel 2:46-49 - Nebuchadnezzar placed Daniel and his Jewish friends in positions of high authority in Babylon.
    • Isaiah 45:16 – Cyrus, King of Persia, restored the Jewish exiles to Israel.
    He also cited three quotes:
    1. Theologian Wayne Grudem writes in Politics According to the Bible, “Christians should support the candidates who best represent moral and political values consistent with biblical teaching, no matter what his or her religious background or convictions.”
    2. Christian apologist Francis Schaeffer writes, “A co-belligerent is a person with whom I do not agree on all sorts of vital issues, but who, for whatever reasons of their own, is on the same side in a fight for some specific issue of public justice.”
    3. Al Mohler, President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary writes: “We must be honest and acknowledge that there are non-Christians or non-evangelicals who share far more of our worldview and policy concerns than some others who identify as Christians. The stewardship of our vote demands that we support those candidates who most clearly and consistently share our worldview and combine these commitments with the competence to serve both faithfully and well.”
    I wish I could vote for all Christians all the time. I don't always have that option.

How do you feel about that?

#1 Scarlett O., Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I feel the same way. Even should there be a Christian running for office, they may be Christian in name only and not truly a follower of Christ. I really wonder if a true follower of Christ would even have a desire to go to higher office because of the sacrifice and toll on one's life it has. But next choice is anyone who has the basic foundational moral beliefs I do no matter what their background is. I know atheists who are pro-life just because of the science of life. I know that while we come to the conclusion differently, I would stand with them when they stood up for life. So we have to take a look at who is running and sometimes make a lesser choice than we want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And his master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for the sons of this age are more shrewd in relation to their own kind than the sons of light."

Sometimes believers should consider if they need someone shrewd to handle business and especially the political side.