1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Co-pastoring

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 22, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Does your church have co-pastoring where two people are "equally" serving as pastor? How is that working for your church?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is from the past - number of years ago two of us "copastored" though my friend of many years was the "called" pastor and I was asked to "copastor. He was the "in charge person" as I would recommend in any situation - personal opinion of course.

We were both students and it was a small church, both worked as well. We changed off doing different things - he did most of the preaching and I did most of the teaching. We called together, if someone was in the hospital we both showed up. Our church had an eldership and deacon constitution which called for this sort of arrangement.

It worked quite well though we were both sensitive to difference in opinion in some areas of interpretation. If one of us landed on a difference we usually introduced the difference of opinion and presented both sides or if one of us had taught/preached a specific subject recently we normally skimmed over rather than beat it to death.

In my own case It would have to be someone I knew would work with me and someone that would respect me as and equal rather than a subject. I'm not sure I could work the situation with just anyone. Of course I'm the center of the universe so that may relate some :smilewinkgrin:

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have personally never been a part of a ministry with a co-pastor. However, I have a friend who is a co-pastor with 2 other guys in California. They been doing it for the last 5 years or so and it seems to work really well. They are all considered co-pastors by the congregation.

My friend preaches one service on Sundays and then he handles all the administrative duties. Another guy preaches the other service and handles all the pastoral care duties. Then the third guy handles the youth, children, and educational ministries. They share any counseling situations that come up as they relate to their other areas of ministry.

#3 PastorSBC1303, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I come from a military background. Only one person can be in charge. If there are three Privates, one of them is the ranking Private (determination is based on Army Regulation)

Someone needs to make the ultimate decision. With a co-pastor; one may not make a valid case as to avoid a touchy situation. Now, there is nothing wrong with an Asst Pastor, to give his/her opinion, but the final decision should be by the pastor. Likewise in the Army, a good officer will always listen to the advice of his NCO before making a final decision.

As for me, I doubt I would ever be involved in a co-pastor situation.

Salty

ps I know, I know - why did I use the phrase his/her (for pastor). I am not a believer of female pastors - I just did it for fun :applause: . Otherwise, I never use the awkward and choppy reading of "his/her":thumbs:

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is not a military organization, though.

The pastor is not the "general" of the church.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize the church is not a military organization (hmm, you do have the Salvation Army) but there are many similarities. The same can go for any organization. When I went to take over a Christian radio station in WV, the boss had made the mistake of making 3 people co-managers. Boy the place was in a mess when I got there.

How about a family. Mom and Dad are not co-heads. In fact Scripture tells us that the man is the head of the family - as long as he is walking with the Lord. That doesn't mean he "rules" over his wife - they are a team, but when there is a difference of opinion the husband must make the decision; just as a pastor, manager, or General.

Salty

7. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I have noticed that husband-and-wife co-pastoring is becoming fairly common among African-American churches in the Washington area. I do not know how it really works out in practice.

One of you posted saying that when someone was in the hospital, the co-pastors both visited. I was a senior pastor with an assistant pastor who "claimed" any young people in the hospital as "his", and did not like it when I visited them. I used to say to him, "If we are both doing the same thing, one of us is unnecessary." Guess which one I thought fit that category.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ""If we are both doing the same thing, one of us is unnecessary." Guess which one I thought fit that category."

This seems to be an example of why it takes people suited to the copastoring idea.