1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coach Bob Pruett retires...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Mar 16, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Marshall's Bobby Pruett is among the all-time winning-percentage leaders with careers of more than 5 years.

Some say he retired in frustration after a 6-6 season, Marshall's poorest under his tutelage, but I don't think so. First, he's 61 years old, a grandfather who wants to spend more time with his family. Second, his team ALMOST beat both Ohio State and Georgia last season. Third, I believe he realized he'd accomplished some great things at marshall, taking them from 1-AA to 1-A, with his teams being highly competitive, producing a large number of pro players such as Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, Troy Brown, Randy Moss, just to name a few. Fourth, I believe he knows Marshall isn't gonna win a 1-A national title...they simply cannot recruit that many "top guns" outta high school. Fifth, I believe all the tension that comes with being a top football coach caught up with him & he knew it was time to call it a career.(He aint hurtin' for money...He owns a very successful business in Huntington, WV)

WE WISH HIM THE BEST IN WHATEVER HE DOES!

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have friends in Huntington that eat, sleep and drink Marshall Football....I am sure they are frustrated by the season and by loosing their coach.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope it aint true, but there are rumors circulating that Coach Pruett is ill with cancer or some other life-threatening ailment.

He has a GREAT class of recruits coming in...He seemed to be really looking forward to the 2005 season, and it appears he'd solved his QB probs.

However, he'd begun to show some mistakes in coaching decisions, after years of almost-impeccable coaching which had propelled Marshall from an average I-AA team to a top-50 I-a team, with improvements on the horizon. They ALMOST beat both Ohio State and Georgia at THEIR home fields, but then lost to a good, but not great, Troy team, and an average Akron team, & were simply WALLOPED by an outstanding Miami(OH) team led by Ben Roethlisberger.(If he stays healthy, I see a great NFL career for him!)

Whatever happens, I wish Coach Pruett all the best. I've met him, and he's simply a GREAT person, common as an old shoe. Hope he continues to live in Huntington!