1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coastal Missions

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by gekko, Jun 5, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

hi everybody.

i've had this idea for some time now - few months or something.
    and im planning for summer 2008. yah its a long time away - but im in australia for half the year in 2007 - and it gives enough time to save up money for the trip.

heres the idea - if you have any suggestions to add - or thoughts about it - please respond:

taking four people. getting those large backpacks - you know the ones that people use to go on long long hikes - and then driving down to seven or eight major cities. probably seven depending on the amount of time we have. when we get to that city - we'll have a time of intercession. we park the vehicle somewhere safe... in a church parking lot or something. and then from there - we split up - go by pairs. Jesus sent out his disciples and the 70 elders in pairs. so we've taken that example. we go out into the city - away from the city - anywhere we go. we evangelize. we speak the truth in love - spread the gospel. for a week we do this - bringing a tent - find a place to tent - find the cheapest way to eat and drink water etc. use supplies etc. after a week has gone by - we meet back at the vehicle (Lord willing it is still there) and have a recap of the week - some intercession for those we reached out to. and then off to the next city. we've only got 2 months for this. its short - i was planning for 3 or 4 months. something like that. and then on sundays - we go for fellowship at some church. (i'll probably ask for help with that once we figure out what cities we're going to). for the week of evangelism - we'll be walking. it'll be tough - and there'll be some tough parts of town to get through - but God will be with us.

if you have any suggestions - or any ideas on what cities we could go to - we're planning on hitting Washington - Oregon - California - and arizona if the Lord permits time. the first three for sure. if you know any churches we could attend - please let me know. i do pray this will all work out - please keep this in prayer. if any of you live in washington - oregon - or california - and wish to join us. please let me know as well. we only be taking one vehicle - which can seat five. we'll have four on the way down and back up to western coast canada (which is where i live).

thank you,
    God bless.
    gek.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

does nobody have any suggestions or thoughts or anything?

if you do have any suggestions on how we could maybe go about this in a different way - or have heard of anybody doing this - please respond. :)

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I have a thought........:) Dont I always though?

I think this is a very good idea if you make sure about several things first. I'd only have men going on this sort of excursion, first of all. Safety and appearances.
    Secondly Id make sure to find specific churches that you can recommend any converts go to in each town. You want to have a good, solid church that you can recommend in good conscience. Then I would have a person within each of these churches who you can use as a contact point. Someone who is willing to take any converts you see and follow up on them.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else for now.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

thanks for the input bapmom! greatly appreciated.

although - i do pray that the Lord would do so great a work in the peoples lives that we reach - that there need not be any follow-up - i pray that they would desire the sincere milk of the word - desire to be in fellowship.

but that wont happen if there's no prayer right? :)

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thats a great thought, gekko....but that "desiring the sincere milk of the Word" comes with growth in Christ. It is usually not very strong in the beginning. Just like a newborn, they need to be placed under good solid teaching in order for them to grow.
    Especially today with so many churches claiming to teach God's Word, we ought to help them sift through it all and provide some sort of direction to get them grounded.

:)
    Ya thinkin' of coming through Milwaukee?

6. gekko

gekko New Member

yeah. so true. yet a newborn will desire milk nonetheless... so they will read the word - which will help them out...

milwaukee is definately a possiblity in the future! hope to go across north america - if the Lord permits.