1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee at church

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jun 26, 2007.

?
  1. Coffee is allowed on our day of worship, including in the sanctuary

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Coffee is allowed on our day of worhsip, but not in the sanctuary

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  3. Other than communion, no food or drinks are allowed in sanctuary

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Drinks are provided in Bible study assemblies

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. Only coffee is provided in Bible study assemblies

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Assembly rooms have their own coffee makers

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  7. Coffee is brewed and given out to various departments

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Anyone who wants coffee has to bring his own cup of it

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Coffee is not allowed in sanctuary, but only because of spills or trash

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  10. Our church teaches against consuming caffeine, as it might be harmful

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm probably not the only one who must have underestimated how thorny the coffee-at-church issue is, as well what some on this board think of the church "sanctuary," with one calling it the "holy of holies." Which of the following applies to your church situation in regard to having drinks, coffee in particular? It is understood that allowing water for speakers or platform singers is not in the scope of "no food or drinks allowed."

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

We usually have a pot of coffee going somewhere...other than in the sanctuary. Partially because the pastor is a caffiene addict! (that would be me btw)

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

issues out of non issues.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 50% now bring a bottle of water or coffee mug (spill proof), etc, to church. Ice water is always available.

WAIT A MINUTE!! I'm the one preaching and THEY get dry??? :BangHead:

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

mmmmmmmmm

mmmmmm You are in a dry state (WY is dry isn't it ;) ;) ) . . .

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually in year 5 of a horrendous drought.

But "no alcohol" dry? Hardly. We use wine in communion each service!

Now maybe if we had bigger communion cups people would think my preaching was better . . . :applause:

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was thinking water dry, but I'd go with the bigger communion cups myself :laugh:

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

If nothing else, you'd fill the pews every Sunday.:laugh:

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

We used to make coffee in the mornings, but hardly do now, unless we have an invited minister who drinks coffee. My dad is really the only coffee addict we have, and he usually stops on the way to church at McDonald's and gets his bucket full.

Our Pastor does not drink coffee, and I do only on occasion.

Now, if we served Dr Pepper, our Pastor would have one on his pew, one in the dining room, one in the pulpit, and one in his pocket. Before he started to lose weight because his "pants were shrinking", he told me once that he was drinking a six pack or more of DP everyday. His secular job is in lawncare, so he's out in the heat all day long. When he cut down to 2 DPs a day (the only thing he cut down on), he lost something like 35 lbs. in 2 months.

Of, and as far as bringing drinks in the sanctuary, I don't have a problem with it, so long as people clean up after themselves. As kids, we were never allowed to take any food or drink in there, just because kids are messy. It is not uncommon for the Primitive Baptists to have overflow from lunch in the sanctuary from the kitchen/dining room during a big meeting. There's nothing extra sacred about it as opposed to the kitchen.

10. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I have to agree with the person who said this is making an issue out of a non-issue though...but then again, baptists are good at that!

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Only difference...we believe the non issues are real issues (see any alcohol thread in the Baptist only section) :D

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I always used a big gulp for communion wine.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

And not a silver chalice? That didn't mess up "the look" of the table?? ;)

14. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

Hamilton Square Baptist looks at coffee and other refreshments as fellowship and hospitality opportunities. Most of our folk do not see each other other than at meetings of the church.

Every Sunday, my wife and I make coffee and punch for after the morning service. This allows members and visitors to mingle and fellowship for the next thirty minutes or so. Let's face it. It get's cold in The City. Folks need a bracing hot cuppa.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm with Bitsy...I'm sure 7/11 appreciates the business...but should you use it for communion? :laugh:

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have to share my story.

A few years back, I took my first mission trip to the Ukraine. It creates great joy for me to get to share communion with my brothers and sisters overseas. But, because of flight delay, we missed the first Sunday, which is when they usually do communion. So, during my devotional, I decided to host the Lord's Supper.

Having to fend for elements, I took a bottle of wine off the airplane, and nabbed one of those Polish hard rolls, and, yes, a Dixie Cup that we had brought with us. And wham, bang, there it is, Holy communion. It was a beautiful remembrance.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

bump................................

18. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having fasted prior to attending Mass usually from midnight by most of the congregation....the school provides tea, coffee and cool drinks, hot sausage rolls and biccies and cakes so they can make a few pennies and it prevents the congregation from fainting or galloping straight home .....or in the case of some die hards hypoglycaemic arttacks:tongue3: :1_grouphug:

....surely you do not drink or eat in church.....be still my pounding heart......I have seen only babies with a bottle or a frail elderly person given water during high summer.....

#18 Melanie, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There is a local Church here that has a cofee room. Adults sit in a cafe type setting and discuss the topic of the day. They all watch the sermon on one of several monitors provided which is the only part of service they see.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Wellllll, whatever works

this reminds me of when we having growing pains and trying out overflow in the media center on an LCD projector and it was over and an invitation was issued and I looked around to see that I was the only staff member in presence. I wasn't real happy with this predicament. Not that I couldn't handle it, but I was also checking out books because there was an overlap -- things hadn't been well thought out.

Several phone calls later, we had a couple of real pastors in there next Sunday.