1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #4

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that little song go?

"God never moves without purpose or plan
    When trying His servant or molding a man
    Give thanks to the Lord through your testing seems long;
    In darkness He giveth a song.

Oh, rejoice in the Lord, He makes no mistake
    He knoweth the end of each path that I take.
    For when I am tried and purified,
    I shall come forth as gold."

Ron Hamilton

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

Nothing has ever "just occurred" to God.

3. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you, Dan.

Isn't it wonderful to know that we have an almighty God who is in control of all things.

God Bless

Sheila

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank You Dan and God Bless you.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great thoughts Dan, thanks

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, May 9, 2004

The Apostles of Jesus

"Nathanael" Part 2

John 1:45-49

We began looking at Nathanael's encounter with Jesus in which Jesus declares in John 1:47 that Nathanael was "An Israelite indeed in whom is no guile."-----Inside and out----from the heart to the mouth!! A true blue Hebrew!!

Lets see next:

NATHANAEL'S SEARCH FOR TRUTH EXPOSED v. 48

Notice now, that when Jesus makes that public proclaimation concerning Nathanael's faith---Nathanael then asks the question--

"How do you know what's in my heart?"

"How do you know the REAL me??"

Then Jesus gives the answer---listen---"Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee."

Now, the Fig tree in Bible days stood about 15 feet high and sometimes had a perimeter of 25 feet---and oftentimes the people would use the Fig tree to escape from the hot sun---knock that sun off their heads----the tree was sort of an outdoor "living room" and oftentimes too the people would resort there for to read scripture and study and meditate!

It was all likely that Nathanael had been under that Fig tree studying the word of scripture---Looking for Messias in those printed pages unscrolled! And its still highly likely that at the same time Nathanael was looking at Messias through the printed page---that Messias was standing there just beyond both the physical and spiritual "pariphial" vision of Nathanael---studying him!!

It was then in v. 48 that Nathanael saw the Omniscience of God!

Jesus was who Nathanael was searching for! What was read in scripture---studied upon and accepted and believed upon by FAITH was now standing before Nathanael in the flesh!!

This is why John inks in his first epistle

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, whichy we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of Life(for the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested unto us. That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you."

We see Nathanael's search for Truth---Exposed! TRUTH was standing before him in flesh!!

Notice now--

NATHANAEL'S STATEMENT OF FAITH(v. 49)

Two things that Nathanael was professing by faith with Messias standing there before him in flesh!

(1) "Thou are the Son of God"----there is none in Heaven above You!

(2) "Thou art the King of Israel"--There is none in Earth above You!"

In other words---plane and simple---Nathanael was publically declaring Jesus to be the great "I AM!"

Now--pay attention to what Jesus says in vs. 50-51!!!

Remember we said that those disciples of John would scan the Scripture---in search of Messias!??

They'd look through the Law!
    They'd open up the Prophets like Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Ezekial!
    They'd look at the Major and Minor Prophets!

Then they'd read what Moses wrote----notice here----or you'd miss it!!

Moses wrote in Genesis 38 about Jacob having that dream! There was those angels in the dream--going back and forth---up and down---on a ladder that stretched from Heaven to Earth!!

When Jacob woke from the dream his proclaimation was this---"Surely the Lord is in this place. How awesome is this place. This is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of Heaven."

Notice now back in John 1: 51!!!

Jesus was telling Nathanael---"What Jacob saw in a FIGURE---now stands before you in the FLESH!"

I wonder what raced through Nathanael's mind after v. 51??? Can't you just picture the scene!! God in flesh---eye to eye with Nathanael---and Nathanael maybe "shakin' like a leaf in a Tornado!"-----I wonder if Nathanael pulled his shoes off like Moses did at the burning bush??? The Bible doesn't say---but I just wonder!!

I wonder if he were here today---how Nathanael would respond when we sing that song--

At the name of Jesus bowing
    Falling prostrate at His feet,
    King of Kings in Heav'n we'll crown Him
    When our journey is complete

Precious name/O how sweet
    Hope of earth and joy of Heav'n
    Precious name/O how sweet
    Hope of earth and Joy of Heav'n

7. following-Him

Blackbird,

Thank you and God Bless,

Sheila

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

9. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 10

Romans 11:11-15, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

Paul uses extreme contrasts to drive home truths he wants us to understand. Israel’s fall (her transgression) was her rejecting the Messiah. God had a purpose in Israel’s rejection - namely to bring spiritual riches to the Gentiles. When God called Abraham - there were no Israelites - so His promise to Abraham of curses and blessings in Genesis 12:3 had to be referring to the Gentiles. (“And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.”) Israel failed to witness to the world of God’s righteousness and salvation. “Because the Lord could not use Israel’s faithfulness to bring riches to the Gentiles, He instead used her failure.” (Mac Arthur)

If Israel’s failure became the riches (or blessing) of/to the Gentiles, how much greater riches (or blessing) will her fulness be. When Israel, as a nation, accepts Messiah, the millennial kingdom of Christ will be set up here on earth. Think of it, peace for one thousand years. Christ will reign in perfect righteousness. There will be no wars, no open rebellion, the 6,000 year quest for peace will finally be achieved, without the help of mortal man. Truly, mankind will be blessed when Israel accepts her Messiah.

Another extreme contrast is found in Romans 5:8-10, “But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.” “If a dead Savior could redeem us, how much more can a living Savior sustain us.” (MacArthur)

Faithless Israel brought about the salvation of the Gentiles. Faithful Israel will bring blessings such as the world has never seen.

Zechariah 12:10, “ And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

Zechariah 13:1, “In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.”

Zechariah 14:9, 11, 16, “ And the Lord shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one Lord, and his name one. ... And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited. ... And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.”

What a great day we have to look forward to! When our Savior reigns in perfect righteousness and peace!

Adapted from “Romans” by MacArthur.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

10. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan,
    Oh what a great day when:
    "They shall beat their swords into plowshares, And their spears into pruning hooks; Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, Neither shall they learn war anymore."
    Is. 2:4

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you feel sorry for those whose only kingdom is "today"? I, too, am looking forward to a REAL kingdom, with a REAL king!

Thanks for the good reminder.

12. following-Him

Thank you Dan,

God bless

Sheila

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amen and thanks to both Blackbird and Dan for your excellent devotions. What a blessing!

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Matthew, Tax Collector turn Apostle
    Matthew 9:9

Its the call from Jesus to Matthew! I can just about imagine ole Matthew sitting at the "booth of customs" collecting taxes for Rome---day after day---"What am I doing here?? This isn't nothing but a dead end kingdom!!" Ohhhhh, but Jesus comes along---and in a moment's notice----Matthew is working for another kingdom!!! See??

But what about Matthew's calling to be an Apostle??

We know his occupation! Tax collector for Rome! In Bible day---these tax collectors were given certain quotas to collect! The daily quota was reported to Roman officals and anything exacted above/beyond the quota belonged to the "custom agent."

If you've ever studied the Roman system of taxation---you'll discover that it was very similiar to what we have here today! They levied taxes on "you name it!" You name it and it was taxed!

These tax collectors--farmed out to Rome--would oftentime set their tables up on well traveled roads and when merchants traveled--they'd pass by the "booth of custom!" When farmers passed by the road---they'd pass by the "booth of custom!" Vacationers---same thing! Commuters from one town to the next--same thing! So that by the time all of the "Passer-bys" were taxed---all that money added up!!

Now, undoubtably---many of these "custom agents" hired out by Rome would soon "learn the ropes!" Some, I imagine, learned to be shrewed--like the Troll in the story, "Three Billy Goat's Gruff"--or--like the Sheriff collecting taxes for Prince John in the story "Robin Hood."

Such was the case with Zaccheus! He'd "rob them blind!" By the time he finished taxing a person--there'd be nothing left to tax! Zaccheus was one of those men---who if you saw him coming toward you on the sidewalk---you'd hold on to your wallet and do a "crossover" hopeing he didn't notice ya!!

But listen to this!!

Would it be possible---to "farm out" to Rome to be a "Custom Agent" and still do it honestly?? Just a question here for you to consider as you consider Matthew!!

Would it be possible to exact Rome's costs--plus a "God-honoring percentage??"---don't get mad at me here or try to defend your anti-tax statements---I'm just asking a honest question!!

Put it to you this way---if you were traveling along the road in that Bible day---and you were coming up to Zaccheus' "Custom Booth"----but you knew this particular "detour" that would take you to Matthew's "Custom Booth" instead----what would you do??

Another way---If Rome suddenly announced, "We're dividing the list up---half of you will be on Zaccheus' list and the other half will be on Matthew's!"---which list would you pray to be on??

Now---look back in Matthew 9:9

Here's Jesus---He walks up to the Receipt of Custom! He sees Matthew there! There's a call--"Follow Me!"

No mention is there of Jesus calling him a robber!

No mention is there of Jesus saying, "Now, Matthew! Before you follow me---You're gonna have to give back "Four Fold" just like Zaccheus did!!"

This call wasn't a call to salvation! It was a call to Apostleship!

Look at Jesus' statement--"Follow Me!"

In that statement---there is an unwritten question that Jesus is asking Matthew!!

"Matthew! Where's your loyality?"

"Matthew! Which do you love more--the Roman Kingdom or God's Kingdom??"

"Matthew! What do you love more---that money box or Me??"

Right then and there! No questions asked! No reservations! No second thoughts! The word says, "He arose, and followed Him."

Jesus said in Luke 14: 26, "If any man come to Me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." verse 33 of the same chapter, "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My diciple."

"Follow Me!"

Its a statement of loyality!

As much as Matthew loved life---I believe he loved Jesus more!

Where's your loyality today, Believer?? I mean, your total---physical and spiritual---loyality??

The Bible doesn't say--of course--but I wonder---when Matthew left to follow Jesus---if---if---if

wasn't singing a song of loyality to Jesus---like that old song we use to sing---

From over hill and plain/there comes the signal strain

Its loyality/loyality/loyality to Christ

Its music rolls along/the hills take up the song/of loyality/loyality/yes loyality to Christ

On to victory/on to victory/cries our Great Commander ON!

We'll move at His command/We'll soon posses the Land/Through loyality/loyality/yes, loyality to Christ!

The big question is

Where's your loyality??

To the Empire which you live?? To the USA?? To the Queen??

Anything short of total loyality to Jesus---is not total loyality to Jesus!

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Blackbird - you must have heard some exciting preaching last night at your conference.

I enjoy your humorous way of driving home salient points!

16. following-Him

Thank you Blackbird,

God Bless

Sheila

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wow! Blackbird - Amen!!

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 12

Romans 11:11-15, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

Psalm 122:6 gives us a rather interesting command, in fact, it’s a fascinating command, with an equally fascinating promised attached to it, “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.” God has promised a physical reign upon earth, with His Son sitting on a physical throne, in the city of Jerusalem, for a thousand years of peace. There will be great spiritual revival in Israel, and Satan will be bound in the bottomless pit for the duration of that physical reign. So why is it so difficult for us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem?

Here is what tears me up when I pray for the peace of Jerusalem. The spiritual revival, promised by God, begins during the Great Tribulation, Daniel’s seventieth week. God will seal “an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel” (Rev 7:4). Through their faithful witness “a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands” (Rev 7:9). Gentiles and Jews alike will be gloriously saved during that seven year period. Israel will truly be the missionary witness God always intended her to be, even under the worst of all possible conditions. But here is the kicker, “ And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein” (Zech 13:8). Of the millions of Jews who will emigrate back to the Promised Land, two thirds of them will not make it through the Tribulation. Most of those two thirds will die, rejecting their Messiah, and will be consigned to eternal damnation in the lake of fire. How do you humanly pray for the “Peace of Jerusalem” when you know that in order for that peace to occur, two out of every three Jews will die, and go into a Christ-less eternity. (And that doesn’t even take into consideration the billions of Gentiles who will enter into a Christ-less eternity during those seven years.)

If I didn’t know that God is in complete control of all things, I’d most likely go stark raving mad. Praise Him, He is in control. Though millions of Jews and billions of Gentiles lose their lives during the Tribulation, there is the promise of Zechariah 13:9, “And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.” God has a plan. We may not understand or like that plan at times, but His plan is always right and good.

Though Paul was called to be the Apostle to the Gentiles - he still loved Israel. Though most of the Jews who heard him preach rejected him, his message, and His Lord - he never quit preaching. Paul knew that “salvation is of the Jews” (John 4:22), and that “the gospel .... is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek” (Rom 1:16). What a wonderful God we serve. Salvation came first to the Jews, who mostly rejected it. It then went to the Gentiles - among whom - many have accepted it. But our God will use the acceptance of the gospel by the Gentiles as a means of causing Israel to be jealous - and they will ultimately - as a nation - accept her Messiah.

Ain’t God good!

Adapted from “Romans” by MacArthur.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

19. Watchman

Watchman New Member

"He came unto His own, and His own received Him Not."
    What a great tradgedy that was for the Jews. And what great joy there will be over their conversion!
    Thanks Dan

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it will take a Great Tribulation for our dear Jewish friends to finally recognize their Messiah! Pray for them.