1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #4

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, bro! Grew up sandwiched between Jews and Catholics, so I need a few more names to feel at home!

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 22

Romans 11:13-15, “ For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

What a great and awesome God we serve. None of us deserve anything we have received from His hand. As the prophet wrote, “ All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all” (Isaiah 53:6). But if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then you, like Lazarus, have heard Him call your name - and when you heard Him call - you were wonderfully resurrected from the death of sin and destruction.

Just as we as believers have responded to the call of God, one day, Israel will also respond to His call. Paul writes later in Romans 11:25-27, “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

Many, for a variety of reasons, consider this rebirth of Israel to be impossible. After all, from Paul’s day to our own day - Israel as a nation has rejected her Messiah. Dr. Boice writes, “I cannot even imagine how my sympathetic Gentile neighbor can come to believe in Christ, considering the effects of sin in blinding the human heart, not to mention Jewish people, who have good historical reasons for resenting Christians and resisting evangelism.” Jeremiah asked, “Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?” (13:23). From the human perspective the answer would seem to be no! But let us remember that our God specializes in the impossible - Matthew 19:26, “With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.”

I may be preaching to the choir. But let me add a couple of practical thoughts to what we have found in our text. “Because God is God of the impossible and of resurrections, God is also more than adequate for your problems in life right now, whatever they might be.” (Boice)

You may be struggling with a sin that has such a hold on you - that you find it impossible to let go of it. But the Savior that raised Lazarus from the dead can break your destructive habits (sins). You may be in a marriage that was once vibrant and loving - yet now seems as dead as Lazarus was. Don’t succumb to Satan’s lies, the lies that tell you there is no hope. “I tell you on the authority of the Word of God that this is no course for a Christian. You are to stand against the ‘easy’ escape, and prove by the resurrection of your marriage that God is still the God of miracles.” (Boice)

Whatever your problem - no matter how impossible your situation seems to be - “we are speaking about what God can do and will do if you will ask Him to do it and determine to obey Him, however costly that may be.” (Boice) But if you are reading this devotional, and you have never trusted Jesus Christ as your Savior - you need to take care of that largest of all problems first. When you submit to Jesus as Lord and Savior - He will save you by His marvellous grace - just as assuredly as He called out to Lazarus - “Come forth” - and Lazarus walked out of the tomb. Will you trust Jesus today?

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

(If you have trusted Christ as Savior - let us know - we long to rejoice with you!)

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank You Dan, a great message.

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you Dan for that message.

God Bless

Sheila

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great message and challenge Dan!

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, May 23, 2004

The Zealot Named Simon

Last study was on Thaddeaus and his request to the Lord Jesus---show the world Your glory! And in Jesus' reply we learned something didn't we?? Jesus' glory is open---not to the world---but to the people who love Him and who are keeping His word!!

In Luke 6:15--we have a Zealot named Simon to study!

Have you ever studied wha a "Zealot" is?

In WW2--when France fell to the Germans--everyone thought the war was finished! Actually, it had just begun! Thousands of die hard Frenchmen and women formed what became known as The French Underground! These "Underground" resistance fighers has a passion of hatred for the German occupation!

A "Zealot" is one who has a deep passion of hatred of a occupying country upon his own homeland!

There were four dominate groups of Hebrews who supported Judiasm.

The Pharasees
    The Sadducees
    The Essenes
    and rarely mentioned in the limelight---the Zealots!

John MacAuthor says, "The Zealots were the most fervant, passionate patriots of Judaism."

The Zealots banded together for the overthrow of Roman Rule and passionately looked for the reistablishment of "Home Town Rule!"---An Israelite Kingdom!!

A Jewish Zealot armed himself physically against---in Jesus' day---the Roman Empire! They were looking for an "overthrow!" They were looking for a King to rise and sit upon a physical throne in their lifetime!!

And when Jesus "came on the scene"---the Zealots figured---"Here's our chance!" "We can have the miracles performed by Jesus work to our advantage!" "If Jesus could swoon the crowd that easily with the performance of a miracle----surely we can gather enough people---get Jesus to declare a Kingdom---and overthrow-----the----Roman-----government----once and----for all!!"

But I find it interesting---that Jesus would choose Simon the Zealot! Why a Zealot? What did Jesus have in mind?? Certainly---the Physical Kingdom of the SON--was yet future! Jesus knew that He would die---He knew that then was not the time for the purely Physical Kingdom to be ushered in!!

Perhaps Jesus choose Simon--a Zealot---to show him(and us) that "our weapons are not carnal but spiritual" and that we "wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities, and rulers of the darkness."

Something else to think about----Jesus chose this Zealot---named Simon! A Zealot, now! Notorious for defying everything that Rome had instituted and constituted in that portion of Palistine!---Zealots were "anti-Rome"---passionite to the hatred of everything that Rome stood for and reliquined to quench the Roman "Spear and Sword!"

If all this hatred for Rome---think about this---Jesus also selected a man named Matthew---a known tax collector FOR Rome's advantage! Why would the Zealot named Simon choose to associate with a Roman Tax Collector named Matthew---viewed by the Zealots as "collaborators" of the Roman Empire??

I believe every day was a struggle for ole Simon, the Zealot! He woke up every day having to "crucify flesh" and let the power of the Holy Spirit invade and envelope his heart and soul!

Simon, the Zealot----mixed into the Apostleship with Matthew the Tax Collector---something had to "give!" Two different points of view! One--a collaboration with Rome---the other a Rebellion against Rome! Sorta like in today's world---putting a Israeli and a Palistinian in the same room together and saying---"OK! Ya'll get along, now!!!"

My thrust is---I believe that the Zealot Simon---had to make a change! Jesus had to change him---to "get along" in Jesus' kingdome--mental idealogies had to be destroyed---still have to be destroyed!! Even today! Jesus does not invite "World Views" into the Kingdom from Above!---He invites us to see as He sees! View as He views! His Kingdom is shared with people who share His mind!! One mindedness---the Jesus mind!! In the Kingdom of God---there's only one mind we'll all share---and its Jesus' mind!!

Simon the Zealot---controlled by the mind of Christ!!

Your mind is under the control of who today??

7. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Excellent lesson - thank you Blackbird!

8. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you for that great message Blackbird.

Blessings

Sheila

9. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 24

Romans 11:16, “For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.”

Fill in the blank! God is ____________ !

Most people would probably fill in the blank with LOVE or GOOD or GREAT or POWERFUL or any of a number of other words that describe the characteristics or attributes of God. The Old Testament saints most likely would have filled in the blank with HOLY! The concept of holiness is not an idea that most people today think about. When we fill in the blank with love - good - great - or powerful, etc., it doesn’t demand much from us, but when we fill in the blank with the word holy - it demands a great deal from us. This concept is much like the difference between the baby Jesus and the crucified, buried, and risen Jesus. The baby demands nothing from us - so we can celebrate His birth - and do so with little or no commitment from us to Him. But the crucified, buried, and risen Jesus - demands from us our all - something that even most truly born again believers do not want to give. We like to have control over our lives - but the demands of the Holy God do not allow that as an option. (“Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:33)

Not only did the Old Testament saints think of holiness when they thought about God, but they “thought of holiness in reference to anything or anybody who had contact with God, for they knew that only what is holy can have contact with God, for they knew that only what is holy can have contact with Him.” (Boice) R. C. Sproul, in his study of “The Holiness of God,” provided a partial list of items to which the word applied: “holy ground, holy sabbath, holy convocation, holy nation, holy anointing oil, holy linen coat, holy jubilee, holy house, holy field, holy word, holy covenant, holy ones, the Holy Place, and the Holy of Holies.” Others I have found: holy men, holy place, holy garments, holy crown, holy sanctuary, holy habitation, holy water, holy vessels, the Holy One, holy things, holy day, holy oracle, the Holy One of Israel, holy mountains, holy people, holy flock, holy oblation, holy portion, holy city, holy temple, and holy land.

“On top of everything else, God was the thrice-holy God. “Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.” Isaiah 6:3.” (Boice)

For the next few days we will be considering “Holy to the Lord.” I trust that you will join us in this exciting study!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine if I sing?

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
    Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
    Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!
    God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore Thee,
    Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
    Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
    Who was, and is, and evermore shall be.

Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
    Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
    Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
    Perfect in power, in love, and purity.

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
    All Thy works shall praise Thy Name, in earth, and sky, and sea;
    Holy, holy, holy; merciful and mighty!
    God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

11. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you for the lesson Dan. I'll be right here to see the rest of it.
    I have always like the way Bob Cook used to put it: God is Who He really and truly is.

To imagine Him any other way is idolatry.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm singing, too, Dan! Holy is the Lord of Hosts!

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

The Apostle Thomas

Some call him "The Doubter"

"Thomas, reckon its gonna rain today?"

"I doubt it!"

But there's something else to see and say about Thomas! I believe if we examine certain texts before us we'll see that Thomas wasn't as much a "Doubter" as he was a "Debtor" of the Lord Jesus!

Look over at John 11: 14-16 real quick---at Thomas' committment to follow the Lord Jesus! His committment went beyond the reach of physical life!

"Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless, let us go unto him. Then said Thomas, who is called Didymus, unto his fellow disciples, Let us also go, that we may die with Him."

To understand what ole Thomas is talking about---we've got to go back to John 8---look at the setting and the context and then walk ourselves forward through the pages back to the text above in John 11.

The "Hounds of Hell" were "baying at the heels" of Jesus! They had brought a woman taken in the very act of adultery and set her before Him---a "Mid Term" exam---

We caught . . . and we know what Moses says . . . but what about you?

You know the answer----easier than a University "Open Book" exam! Rare!

From that point on to John 11--Jesus spends time explaining His relationship to His Father---the Jews listening atest Him of blasphemy and begin to take action to eliminate Jesus! They were going to kill Him----John 8: 57-59 reads, "Then said the Jews unto Him, Thou are not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by."

Makes you wonder?? (1) Where they got the stones from there in the temple, and (2) where Jesus hid while "in their midst!"

Again---in Chapter 10 of John! The Jews "corner" Jesus again in Jerusalem----with a "Yes/No", "True/False" exam!

True False (Circle one) Are you the Christ?

And Jesus circles the correct answer----which of course is "TRUE"----and again in verse 31, "Then the Jews took up stones again to stone Him."

They take up stones to kill Jesus for telling the truth! How about that??

Then the word says that Jesus travels to "beyond the Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there He abode."--v. 40

I suppose at this point in the story----the Apostles were saying---"Whew!! We're safe out here in the country!"--------

Enter Chapter 11 and a plea for Jesus' help!

Lazarus----sick!!

Martha and Mary---send!!

Jesus delays-----

Lazarus dies----

Jesus decides-----

Apostles balk-----

V. 8, "His disciples say unto Him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone Thee; and goest thou there again?"

Modern day translation---"Dude! You go back to Judea---over there toward Jerusalem---they gonna kill you!!"

Notice what Jesus says in v. 15!! "nevertheless, let us go unto him."----Jesus knew exactly what He was going to do! Man, He was going to call Lazarus "from glory" and and Lazarus was going to obey---come up out of the grave---and stand face to face with Glory!!

Lazarus was fixin' to go "from glory---to glory!"

But speaking of Thomas! Here's Jesus----going back to Judea----knowing full well that the Jews "of late" were "holding it against" Him!!

The disciples were saying, "Man, Jesus! They gonna kill you!"

And Jesus is over there---saying "Nevertheless"

The disciples are thinking---"Man! Jesus is gonna die! We just know it!"

But notice Thomas' dedication and committment!

v. 16, "Then said Thomas, who is called Didymus, unto his fellow disciples, Let us also go, that we may die with Him."

Modern day translation

"Boys! He may die if He goes back but if He does die going back---it would be to the shame of Heaven if I don't die, too!"

Here's the cost of discipleship!! Of being a chosen vessel! Of being a follower of Jesus!

Thomas is saying he would rather die with Jesus---than to live without Jesus!

Thomas was saying in this text---"If we go to Bethany and everyone lives---we'll still be with Jesus! BUT if we go to Bethany and everyone dies---we'll still be with Jesus!" See??

Thomas simply did not want to be alone without Jesus!

Thomas' life was in the hands of Jesus! What Jesus was fixing to do for Lazarus---He could very well do for Thomas!

I just want you to see the spirit of Thomas---"If we go with Jesus---we die with Jesus! If we die with Jesus---we live with Jesus!"

Romans 14:8 says, "For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: Whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's."

If you go today---you may live or you may die---but whether you live or die----you are the Lord's----have you been saved?? Born Again??

Are you obeying Jesus?? Even if He takes you back to your Bethany---and you face certain death---I can tell you what is more certain than the death you may face------its LIFE you face when you live with Him and walk with Him--with Jesus!

Whats more certain than death? Life when it comes from Jesus!

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did Jesus say - deny self AND take up your cross, you're gonna die.

Thanks for the good lesson, bb.

14. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I am enjoying these lessons of the apostles - especially the lesser known ones!

Thank you Blackbird!

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 26

Romans 11:16, “For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.”

The subject of holiness is totally foreign to us, because we are not holy, because we are sinners. Someone once said that if we could be dangled over the fires of hell but for a moment, it would completely change our lives. If we could but for a second realize the eternal horrors of the lake of fire - we would be totally engulfed in Christ’s marching orders for the Christian soldier - winning the lost to Christ. On the opposite side of the spectrum, if we could only realize the true holiness of God, we would see just how unworthy and undeserving we truly are - and we would be totally engulfed in Christ’s marching orders for the Christian soldier - winning the lost to Christ. Both scenarios lead to the same end, but for entirely different reasons. A glimpse of hell puts fear into our souls. The holiness of God should put the love of God in our souls, when we realize what great love God has for us, in that He would send His only begotten Son, the perfect, holy God-man, to die and pay for our sins.

I believe Paul is using Old Testament illustrations to make his point, that being, God has not permanently forsaken His people Israel. Yes - God has temporarily set aside the mass of Israel that the Gentiles might come to salvation. But even in this time of rejection - not all of Israel has been utterly rejected, as Paul previously told us that a remnant is still being saved. There will come a day, when the mass of Israel will be saved (Romans 11:26, “all Israel shall be saved.”).

The firstfruits were applied to several things. In Exodus 23:19 (“The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the Lord thy God.”), firstfruits are applied to the first produce of the land - whatever that might be. In Exodus 34:22 it is applied to the wheat harvest and the Feast of Weeks and in Numbers 23:16 to the Feast of Ingathering. Leviticus 2 indicates that the firstfruits are a grain offering. Numbers 15:20-21 describes them as a cake made from ground meal. In Numbers 18:12 they are oil, fine wine, and grain. Though Paul doesn’t tell us which firstfruit offering he has in mind, many have suggested it is the cake of Numbers 15. Boice offers the following interpretive translation, “If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy.”

What are the firstfruits, the lump (dough), the root, and the branches? There are two possibilities:

1. Some have suggested that the firstfruits were the first Jewish converts to Christianity and the lump is the “all Israel” that will eventually be saved. This thought does not “march in step” with Paul’s second illustration of the “root and the branches.”

2. In the second illustration - the roots are the patriarchs. Paul interprets the roots as such in Romans 11:28, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' [patriarch’s] sakes.” The parallel between the firstfruits and the roots strongly suggest that each refers to Abraham.

The root and the branches are best understood by studying Romans 11:17-24. The roots of the natural olive tree are the patriarchs (Abraham), and the branches are Israel. The branches are broken off (Israel’s temporary rejection) and wild branches are grafted in (Gentiles). Ultimately, God will graft the natural branches back into the tree.

Boice writes, “This brings us to the root meaning of verse 16, of course. For Paul is saying that the patriarchs were ‘set apart’ to God and that this has inescapable consequences for their descendants. To put it in the simplest possible terms: The Jews are a special people because of their descent from Abraham, and this is true of them even in their rebellious and unregenerate state. It means that even yet God has not given up on Israel.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

[ May 26, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Dan Todd ]

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, and Amen.

17. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, May 27, 2004

"Doubting Thomas?"
    John 14:5

In John 11: 14-16 we discovered that Thomas was ready and willing to travel to Jerusalem and die with the Lord Jesus---he belonged to Jesus---look here in Romans 14: 8, "For whether welive, we live unto the Lord, and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: Whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lords."

Skip on over to John 14: 5---its an all familiar chapter

Jesus' impending death is now right around the corner---just over the horizon in Jerusalem in just a couple of days---and Jesus was talking to His disciples of an impending seperation.

"Let not your hearts be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Fathers house are many mansions: If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto Myself: that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know."

For nearly 3 1/2 years---the disciples had been with Jesus---practically day and night! Bonded! Inseperable!

But notice how many times Jesus says, "I go . . .!" There's that seperation! And at this point---the thought of seperation was imbearable---hard to picture---them without Jesus!

Now, notice the question that Thomas has in verse 5---"Thomas saith unto Him, Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; and how can we know the way?"

Many take this verse and run to the conclusion that Thomas must not have been saved--he didn't know "the way!"

But the thought here is not---"Well, is Thomas saved?"---but rather it was the thought of impending seperation from Jesus!

And into modern thought we can imply---without doing damage to the text---the idea that Thomas was in a sense asking---"Lord! Just tell us where you're going and how to get there---so that we can meet you there! Give us some directions here, Lord!"

Back in the year 1943 during WW2---the Allies had engaged the enemy in what was named Operation Avalanche in Salerno, Italy. Reinforcements were called for to releave pressure on the 101st Airborne.

There was a large group of British Royal Marines located in North Africa---who were "promised" a return trip back to England for R & R!----unknowing to the group of Royal Marines, the plans for R & R were "dumped"---they were not told!

Instead, they were told at the landing docks---something like---"Get aboard these Cruisers here going to England! So they all climb aboard! The British Cruisers set sail! But when they got on board and began to sail out to sea---the announcement was made---"You Royal Marines are destined for Salerno, Italy as a reinforcement regiment for the Royal Marines already there!"

See? Those Royal Marines trusted their superiors! Their superiors told them at the dock---"These Cruisers are headed home!"

Those Royal Marines were lied to by their superiors! "Just get on board that Cruiser there and it'll take you home!"---the Superiors had full knowledge before the Cruisers set sail---before the Royal Marines ever arrived to leave for their supposed "R & R"---that the Cruisers were headed for Salerno!

Ohhhhh, but aren't you glad that God cannot lie?? Aren't you glad---that when Jesus says, I am the way home!"---that He's gonna take you there?

Listen! The way to Heaven is only through total reliance upon Jesus! The way to the Father is only through total dependency upon Jesus! I'm(and Thomas) banking my whole eternity upon Jesus and what He promised!

Jesus says, "Place your total faith and trust in Me---and I'll take you Home! I'll take you to Heaven! I'll take you to the Father!"

Have you done that today! Have you placed your faith and trust---your total dependency upon Jesus??

19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I'm trusting in Him - alone!

Thank you Blackbird!

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 28

Holy is one of the most difficult words in the Bible to define. Why? Because God is holy - His holiness is His chief attribute, “and we can never understand God as He is in Himself completely.” (Boice) To complicate the situation, the word is also used of people (1 Peter 1:16, “Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.”), and of objects (such as the furniture in the temple).

“The bottom line of these three applications of the word holy – (1) to God, (2) to human beings, and (3) to objects – is that holiness has to do with being ‘set apart.’ If you can remember that, you will be able to understand the word in each of these rather diverse applications.” (Boice)

1. A holy God. What is the first thing that comes to mind when speaking about God being holy? For me, it is that God does not sin, and that everything He does is right! That is certainly involved in God being holy, but it is not what holiness is all about. “Holiness means that God is ‘set apart’ from us. That is, He is not like us. He is over and above and utterly beyond us, so that we cannot even begin to imagine what He is like except to the extent that He stoops to reveal Himself to us.” (Boice) Theologians stretch to find ways to express what this concept means. Germans theologians speak of God being “wholly other.” English theologians speak in terms of God’s transcendence. Rudolf Otto coined a Latin phrase which is translated “awe-inspiring mystery.”

What causes man to have such difficulty defining and understanding God’s holiness? The reason simply stated is - because we are not holy! Sin (our sin) is the great separator between God and man. Because we define terms and concepts in relationship to ourselves, and because we are sinners, we cannot comprehend something that we are not (that is holy)! The chief reason man has developed idols is because we cannot relate to God. So we create gods that are like us - gods that we can relate to!

Let’s look at this another way. “When we speak of God’s attributes, we are inclined to list holiness along with such other things as sovereignty, omnipotence, eternity, grace, mercy, love, and so on. But, strictly speaking, holiness does not belong in this catalogue at all, since it describes all that God is and since it qualifies every other attribute. In other words, God is not just sovereign, His is a holy sovereignty. God is not just love; His is a holy love. And so on.” (Boice)

Boice writes, “Holiness is what sets God apart from us and renders Him awesome to us, who are both finite and sinful.”

2. Holy objects. If holiness refers to what God is wholly in Himself, how can objects be holy? At first this seems to be an utter impossibility. But remember our first definition that holiness describes what has been “set apart,” and then it begins to make sense. Objects become holy when they are set apart for God’s service rather than for common use. Most all the items in the tabernacle(temple) fit this concept. A table has a common use - and can be used for both good and bad. But the table of shew bread that was used in those sacred structures was holy, because it had been “set apart” for use in the worship of and service to God. We can also speak of holiness as dedication or consecration, that is, something that has been given to God, which means to render sacred or holy.

Next time, Lord willing, we’ll look at holy people.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd