1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #5

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

July 30

Romans 11:26-27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

Today we shall look at two more O.T. prophecies that become clearer in their understanding, because of Paul’s promise that “all Israel shall (future) be saved.”

Hosea 1:10 and 2:21-23, “Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.” “And it shall come to pass in that day, I will hear, saith the Lord, I will hear the heavens, and they shall hear the earth; And the earth shall hear the corn, and the wine, and the oil; and they shall hear Jezreel. And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.”

Hosea was a living object lesson to Israel. God told him to marry a woman who was a harlot. The children that were born were named Jezreel (scattered), Loruhamah (not-loved), and Loammi (not-my-people). The names of the children prophesied to Israel what was to happen to them because of their sin. God changed the names of the children to Planted, Loved, and My People. Note verse 23 in the NIV, “I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called `Not my loved one. ' I will say to those called `Not my people, ' `You are my people'; and they will say, `You are my God.'”

Zechariah 12-14 are an oracle about the final days. One phrase that is used repeatedly by the prophet (16 times) is “on that day.” This phrase “customarily refer to God’s final wrapping-up of history, including the last judgment.” (Boice)

Dr. Boice gives us the following outline of Zech. 12-14:

1. God will deliver Jerusalem from the nations of the earth which are attacking her (12:1-9).
    2. The people will “look on ... the one they have pierced” and “mourn for him” (1:10-13).
    3. A “fountain” will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem “to cleanse them from sin and impurity” (13:1-3).
    4. The people will call on God, causing Him to say, as in Hosea 2:23, “They are my people,” and the people to say, “The Lord is our God” (13:9).
    5. The Lord will descend on the Mount of Olives to save the people in a time of great trouble, deliver Jerusalem, and bring prosperity to the land (14:1-15).
    6. Gentiles will go to Jerusalem to worship God (14:16-19).
    7. The people will become holy in all they are and do (14:20-21).

My friends, have you ever seen anything like Zechariah described. No one has, thus the things Zechariah wrote of must still be future. This text was written after the return from exile in Ezra and Nehemiah’s day - so the prophecy does not refer to that time period in Israel. The Apostle Paul wrote, “And so all Israel shall be saved!” “Shall” was future when Paul wrote it. The things prophesied by Jeremiah, Hosea, and Zechariah have never been literally fulfilled as of yet, so they too must be speaking of some future event. That event is when Jesus returns to this earth and sets up His kingdom, when He reigns literally from David’s throne in the city of Jerusalem for one thousand years. Even so come Lord Jesus!

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan. But you know, if you pound on a square peg long enough, it will go into a round hole:
    Square peg 1: "Jerusalem" refers to all those that are a part of the New Jerusalem, which is us, The Church.
    Square peg 2: "They...whom they pierced." That before we came to Christ, we rejected, therefore crucified again (pierced) the Son of God; it refers to us, The Church.
    Square peg 3: "The house of David..." This is what David's descendant, The Lord Jesus founded: The Church.
    Well, you get the idea. Pound those square pegs in all you want folks, they don't fit. The Church is the Church and Israel is Israel. The premil-dispensational view is the only view that has the round pegs.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a way to start a new thread! Bless our Sovereign God Who is in control of the past, present and future!

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen! I have really appreciated the thoughts in this series. Great truth which seem to be slipping away today.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, July 31, 2004

God=Love!!

1John 4:7-9, "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him."

There are several ways in which God describes Himself throughout the Bible. The word from the Word says that God is a jealous God! God is a consuming fire! God is faithful! God is light! But here in our text above--the word says that God is described as love! It says that God IS love!

You ever hear folks say about God---"MY God is a God of love!" ??? Friend---God is MORE that just a God OF love! God IS love! And real quick like---jumping to conclusions??? You want to know something else???

Jesus is God's Love in the flesh! Love manifested Himself in Jesus!

But---we need to know this, too!

God the Father is Love!

But so is God the Son! He's Love!

And the same way with the Holy Spirit--He's Love, too!!

And that love was manifested through the Lord Jesus Christ! But not only was that love manifested---but that Love was also demonstrated---put on display! Jesus is God's love in action!

As a newborn in Bethleham!

As a 12 year old lad in the Temple!

30 years of age at River Jordan!

Love walks on water!

Love not only attended weddings---but Love changes water to wine while He's there!

Love calls dead men to "come forth!"

Love wore a crown of thorns!

Love carried a cross!

Love died!

Love rose again!

Love is coming back again!

Do you love Love as much as Love loves you??

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Interesting way of looking at love -- opps I mean Love!

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's all this talk about love?

We are a BAPTIST board, right? :rolleyes:

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Amen Bro BB! Great reminder.

9. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 2

Romans 11:26-27, “And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

How many Jews do you personally know that are born-again Christians? I suspect that many of cannot think of a single one. I remember my dad saying that when a Jew comes to Jesus Christ, that they (generally) become one of the most a vibrant witnesses for the Lord that you might ever see. (I think my dad may have personally known one Christ Jew.) As I think back upon the Jews I have known, one comes to mind that was a believer. I met him in Bible College. My church helps support a missionary couple whose primary ministry is to Jewish people. Several years ago I asked him how many Jews had come to Christ through his ministry - the answer - “none.” Yet this brother and his wife do not seem to be discouraged. They carry on Bible studies with Jews on a consistent basis. I tell you all this - to say - that the promise of our text, “And so all Israel shall be saved” seems highly unlikely, based upon my experience, and I would dare say, based upon the experience of most of us. Perhaps a testimony or two would encourage us - at least to pray for Jews and those in Jewish missions.

Sholem Asch, a Polish Jew said in an interview published in January 1944, “Since I first met him [Jesus], He has held my mind and heart .... I was seeking that something for which so many of us search – that surety, that faith, that spiritual content in my living which would bring me peace and through which I might bring some peace to others. I found it in the Nazarene .....

“Jesus Christ, to me, is the outstanding personality of all time, of all history, both as Son of God and as Son of Man .... No other religious leader ... has ever become so personal a part of people as the Nazarene. When you understand Jesus, you understand that He came to save you, to come into your personality. It isn’t just a case of a misty, uncertain relationship between a worshiper and an unseen God; that is abstract; Jesus is personal.”

Constantine Brunner, the German Jewish philosopher, wrote in 1918, “Is it only the Jew who is incapable of seeing and hearing all that others see and hear? Are the Jews stricken with blindness and deafness as regards Messiah Jesus, so that to them alone He has nothing to say? .... Understand, then, what we shall do: We shall bring Him back to us. Messiah Jesus is not dead for us – for us He has not yet lived: and He will not slay us, He will make us alive again. His profound and holy words, and all that is true and heart-appealing in the New Testament, must from now on be heard in our synagogues and taught to our children, in order that the wrong we had committed may be made good, the curse turned into a blessing, and that He at last may find us who has always been seeking after us.”

Ferdynand Zweig said in 1969, “The Jewish religion seems to be at present to the large mass of Israeli Jews uninspiring and uninspired. Could it be that Jesus could give it a new lease of life.”

Hans Joachim Schoeps wrote, “The Messianism of Israel aims at that which is to come, the eschatology of the Gentile church at the return of Him who has come. Both elective covenants confront the ebb and flow of the finite world in the shared expectation that the decisive event is still to come – the goal of the ways of God that He travels with mankind in Israel and in the Church. The church of Jesus Christ has preserved no portrait of its Lord and Savior. If Jesus were to come again tomorrow, no Christians would know His face. But it might well be that He who is coming at the end of days, He who is awaited by the synagogue as by the church, is one, with one and the same face.”

Boice writes, “None of these authors has accepted Jesus as his personal Savior from sin, and no one would say on the basis of the quotations that the Jews as a whole are ready to accept Jesus of Nazareth as their Messiah. But they do indicate what even many Jews are calling a new openness to Jesus and suggest, to Christians at least, that the time of future national conversion that Paul writes of in Romans, may not be far distant.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've met some wonderful Messianic Jews who have trusted Christ. Just a fore-taste of the last days when they will look on the One whom they pierced!

11. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan, but I'm afraid that it will take "The time of Jacob's trouble," and a rejection of the devil's false (anti) christ, to bring them to the true One.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, August 3, 2004

"The Fourth Watch!"

Matthew 14: 22-33

I'll not attempt to type out our text here---just a background will carry you in your minds to the place familiar to the fishermen of Galilee!

The scene is familiar! They knew the lake like the back of their hands! They had grown to understand its feelings and moods! The lake was their friend! It was their living! Their livelihood! They lived there! Their families were there! There was nothing about the lake that they didn't know nor was there anything they have not attempted to do while on the lake---except this one thing!

They had become acquainted with Jesus! What was found in Scripture concerning Him---matched every detail that stood before them in flesh! He had just finished a preaching engagement---when He told His disciples to launch the boat---travel to the other side! A normal thing to do! Nothing out of the usual! They've done it a thousand times! 'Tis nothing new to the seasoned fishermen of Galilee!

Until the storm!

Matthew 14:24 says, "But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary."

It was enough to tell them "This is the end of us!" The big ole ship with the big ole men in the big ole ship---was now being tossed around like a toothpick in the ocean! The 25 year olds were now acting like 5 year olds!!! Children tossed "to and fro!"

They were caught "in the middle of nowhere!" The smooth sailing ship was now a "buckin' Bronco!" The wind was contrary! Unstable air that was mindless in its direction!

Many of us get caught out in a storm on the sea! Somewhere beyond the range of normal living!

At the doctor's office when he says, "You've got 4 blockages--we operate tomorrow morning!"---the night before that operation---is a long one and a doozy! That kind of news with that operation stareing you in the face---will give your ship a ride---it'll toss you like you were a leaf in a Tornado!

Now, here's the ship! Being tossed "to and fro"---the last thing those disciples were thinking about was----leaving the ship! But thats exactly what Jesus had in mind for them! Leaving their earthly "comfort zone" for Heaven's "Comfort Zone!"

Verse 25 says, "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea."

Now, I'm 45 years old! And I've done got it figured out! That if something is gonna happen to ya---its gonna happen on the "Fourth Watch!" Strange things happen in the darkest part of life! Strange thing too!!---Every day has a "Fourth Watch!"

Nobody wants a "Fourth Watch!" A dark moment! A Black Hole in life! If the enemy was gonna get'cha---he'll plan on gettin' ya on the Fourth Watch! It doesn't "pay" to sleep while you're watching on the "Fourth Watch!"

Aren't you glad for verse 25???

"And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea."

Remember earlier I said that I was 45 years old that that I had it all figured out??? Yea---I'm sure thats what those disciples thought when they were in that ship! "I've got this thing all figured out!!"----let me try to "figure it out" when I get a "Pink Slip" from the office! Or when the company "Down Sizes" and I don't fit in their plan! Or when my boy and girl get themselves in a mess---and I have to "front" them with it! Or when I get in a mess---and they have to still live with me! And then my marriage goes "on the blink"---a continual "Fourth Watch!" When Life's Doctor is in the exam room giving me the bad news---I want Jesus to step into the room!

The waves was "tossin'" everything around that night----that is, everything but Jesus! And while the wind was contrary---Jesus was in control! On your Fourth Watch----who will you see and hear??

13. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I'm glad Jesus is always there with me - even in the "Fourth Watch!"

Thank you Blackbird!

14. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 4

What can we learn from our look at the Jews and the Gentile Church? Are there lessons that the largely Gentile church of today can learn from God’s historical dealings with the Jewish people?

1. A study of Jewish history from Abraham until today demonstrates the biblical principle of where there is obedience there will be blessing, and where there is disobedience there will be judgment. As I think upon the time of the Judges, I wonder why Israel didn’t see the cyclical pattern of blessing, followed by disobedience (idolatry), followed by foreign oppression, followed by a cry for mercy to God, followed by a Judge whom God uses to free His people, followed by this vicious cycle time and time again. But then I realize that I am often guilty of the same type of cyclical patterns in my life, and the church as a whole is also guilty of the same.
    Israel has suffered much for her disobedience. She rejected God’s law, but her greatest sin was to reject God’s Messiah. Paul wisely wrote, “ Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7). God will not be mocked. If we persist in disobedience, God will discipline us, perhaps gently at first, but when we do not heed that gentle persuading, God can and often does bring out His “big stick,” and the “big stick” hurts. Israel was unable to fight God successfully - we - the Gentile Church cannot fight God successfully!

2. God is faithful to His covenant. The next verse in our devotionals will be Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.” “Them” refers back to verse 26 and “Israel.” How should God’s future faithfulness to Israel encourage us? “It tells us that God will not give up on those whom He has chosen, even if our sins cause Him to turn away His face for a time.” (Boice)

3. Grace! “God’s relationship to Israel is a tremendous illustration of His grace. Chosen, yet frightfully disobedient, even to the point of rejecting and actually killing the very Son of God sent to them, Israel nevertheless has been loved by God, continues to be loved by Him, and will one day be brought back to God – because God is gracious.” (Boice) We serve the same God that Israel of old served. He was gracious then - He continues to be gracious to us. Today is the day of God’s grace.

But this day of grace will not last forever. Israel has started to return to her ancient homeland. The sound of the trumpet of God can not be to far away. Where do you stand in your relationship to God’s Son? The Son who died upon the cross to pay for your sin. Jesus is coming again, will you be ready for Him when He comes?

Hebrews 2:1-3a, “Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation?”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. God's faithfulness to His chosen people Israel gives great confidence to His chosen Bob.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, August 5, 2004

"The Fourth Watch"

Matthew 14: 22-33

We didn't finish the story! The all familiar scene from the word of God that tells of the adventures and misadventures of the disciples sailing on the troubled sea! Of Peter defying the laws of physics and gravity with his walk on the water! Of two eyes first fastened on Jesus! Then in a moment of time a world caves in as Peter begins to sink!

The Bible says that it was the "Fourth Watch" of the night!--v. 25, "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea."

Every one of us experience "Fourth Watches" in our lives! Times of turmoil and terror! Doubt and unbelief! Dispair and discouragement! Juts when it seems all is lost---Jesus comes to find you!! The Fourth Watch was and still is a part of everyday life! What we have to do is make sure that Jesus overcomes that part and fills it with peace that passes all understanding!

But if you have the word before you---look at it starting in verse 25! Here comes Jesus! Walking on water! Now, here's what I want us to notice! I want us to notice Peter here!

Verse 28--"And Peter answered Him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto Thee on the water."

I like how Matthew tells us that it was Peter! Peter! Not Simon! Not Simon Peter! But Peter!

Remember Peter is known by two names! He's known by the name "Simon" and by the name "Peter"

The name "Simon" means---"Shifting, unsettled, unsure" I believe it is the name that looks at our old fleshly man and its desire to rule the spirit! It is us without the domination of the Holy Spirit! It is us without that filling of the Holy Spirit! Unsettled! Unsure! Shifting! Insecure!

But here in the text he is referred to as "Peter"---Steadfast, sure, secure! It is him under the influence and control and domination of the Holy Spirit! It is us with given lives that are hidden in Christ, dominated by the Holy Spirit of God! It is us---dying to self and living to Christ!

Notice that Peter in verse 28 calls Jesus "Lord" Peter has reached a point where he realizes that Jesus is supreme! Over all! Ruler of land and sea and sky! He looks out and it suddenly dawns upon him that there isn't but one person that could possibly be walking on the sea---and it was Jesus! He calls Him, "Lord!" It simply means that everything in the universe---spiritual and physical---visible and invisable---were "under His feet---and that would include the Sea of Galilee!!

Now! Here's Peter acknowledging Jesus as Lord! He wants to go to Him! "Bid me come unto Thee on the water." Say the word, Jesus! Give me the word and I'll come!

Now---lets look for a minute at Jesus' reply in verse 29

"And He said, Come."

You know! I got to thinking! One word from Jesus!

"Come!"

Its the same word Jesus used to call Lazarus from the dead over in John 11!!

Jesus uses a word here that only a dead man could obey!!

Jesus was on the sea---calling a dead man out of the boat!

Before Peter could step out of the boat---there had to have been a death! A death to the old way of living! A death to self and its influences! A death to the world surrounding him!

Romans 6:11 gives us a clue as to where Peter stood there in our scenes text---"Likewise, reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Its interesting that in Matthew 14:29---it says that Peter simply went to Jesus! "And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus."

Notice the similarity to Lazarus---in John 11:44 "And he that was dead came forth."

Both men came forth from the dead! Both came forth from a tomb! One physically! The other spiritually! Both obeyed Jesus' command! Both were saved unto obedience!

The Fourth Watch!????? Its coming!! What do we do??? Look to Jesus! And obey His command! Will you do that today??

17. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

"Come!" What a powerful sentence - when spoken by the Right Person!

Thank you Blackbird!

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 6

Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

We are about to look at a Covenant, more specifically, God’s irrevocable covenant with Israel. What is a covenant? It “is a solemn promise, usually ratified in some formal way.” (Boice) Are covenants important to our understanding of biblical theology? I believe that answer is yes! Interestingly enough, Romans, the most important Book of the Bible, theologically, says very little about covenants, in fact the word is used just two times. The first use was Romans 9:4 where Paul states that the covenant was one of the advantages of Judaism, “Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises.” The second mention is our text. The first mention is made with no elaboration. The second is a quote from Isaiah 27:9. “By this therefore shall the iniquity of Jacob be purged; and this is all the fruit to take away his sin; when he maketh all the stones of the altar as chalkstones that are beaten in sunder, the groves and images shall not stand up.”

How important are covenants? Remember that our Bible is divided into two testaments (or covenants), the Old Covenant and the New Covenant! In addition to that, each time we observe communion (The Lord’s Supper), we are reminded of Jesus’ words in Luke 22:20, “Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament (covenant) in my blood, which is shed for you.”

The Hebrew word for covenant is b’rith. It occurs more than 300 times in the O.T. The Greek word is diatheke, and it occurs 36 times in the N.T., with over half of those mentions in the Book of Hebrews. I’ve looked for a good definition of “Covenant Theology.” I’ve discovered that generally those who call themselves Covenant theologians have a big problem with “Dispensationalism” (the inverse also appears to be true). I found the following in Doug Beaumont’s website under the heading “Implications of Covenant Theology.” It comes closer to a definition than anything else I’ve found. “In their attempt to unify God’s dealings with mankind, Covenant theologians make the people of God into one group. They argue that Israel was the people of God, that the Church is now the people of God, therefore Israel is (or, more properly, became) the Church. Because the Church has taken Israel’s place, the blessings promised to Israel become the Church’s. The Church receives these blessings through Christ who is the fulfillment of Israel’s blessings.” To finish the definition I quote part of Mr. Beaumont’s conclusion, “The central issue that I see here is whether or not the Church has replaced Israel. To this I answer with an emphatic ‘No’ It is simply too clear from Paul’s writings that the two remain separate, distinct entities after the Church began.”

I am a dispensationalist, because I believe that God deals with each age (dispensation) based on His revealed word to that age. I do not believe in multiple ways of salvation. Salvation has always been by grace through faith, ultimately based on Christ’s atoning death, burial, and resurrection. God simply has asked mankind to believe what He has revealed to him. Adam was saved because he believed what God had revealed to him. Noah had more revelation than did Adam, but yet Noah believed God (he was saved because he believed what God had revealed to him.). Abraham believed God, Moses believed God, David believed God, and Paul believed God. Each had more revelation that did the previous person mentioned. But each were saved by grace through faith, believing what God had revealed to them.

I also place a great importance in the covenants found in the Bible. As you may have surmised from my past devotionals, I do not believe that the Church has replaced Israel. The church is the church, and God has made specific promises to her. Israel is Israel, and God has also made specific promises to Israel. Both the church and Israel, has been - in the case of the church, or will be - in the case of Israel, be saved by grace through faith, believing what God has revealed to them, because there is only one salvation.

We will discuss this subject more in upcoming devotionals.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

19. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan. I'm with you 100% on this. There is a lot of faulty teaching out there, especially in regards to eschatology, because teachers no longer see literal Israel has having any importance at all. Let's take the 144,000 mentioned in the Book of Revelation, chapter 7. The other day I was looking for something in a bookstore when I ran accross a commentary on Revelation written by a well-known author, Any commentary on Revelation that comes out I will put to the chapter 7 test. The author concluded that, after careful consideration, this 144,000 must be significant people from the Church age. I closed it up and put it back on the shelf!
    Hmm, I wonder if I'm from the tribe of Judah? Rueben?...

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked a Jehovah's Witness (one of the 144k) what tribe they were from. Response? "I'm no Indian!"

Thanks Dan. As an historic dispensationalist I cannot conceive of understanding Romans 9-11 by substituting "all believers" for "Israel" every time that word is used!