1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #5

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jul 29, 2004.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, August 7, 2004

"The Fourth Watch"(Part 3)
    Matthew 14: 25, "And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea."

Everybody experiences a "Fourth Watch" in their lives! In fact, they come often! Mostly daily! When life seems to be the darkest! But rest assured, in the "Fourth Watch" Jesus will come! So, when you are in the middle of the Fourth Watch---watch for Jesus!!

He's who the disciples saw in the Fourth Watch!--verse 26 says that they saw Jesus walking on the sea!! But something unusual happens---see??? They were in the middle of this storm---winds howlin', waves tossin'---but nowhere in the text does it mention that through it all---through the winds and waves---nowhere does it mention that the disciples were terrified or afraid! Its only when they saw Jesus walking on the sea that they became afraid!

Verse 26 reads, "And when the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit: and they cried out for fear."

You see?? The devil is a thief of the thoughts! He desires to rob us of the truth that comes from the Truth! And the truth was---the Truth was walking on the sea!----you see, its not the winds and waves that the devil wants us to fear!! Turns out---its the Truth he wants us to fear! And at the same time that the boat was being tossed like a toothpick---he flings doubt and unbelief upon us!

They were afraid of the one who was coming to save them!!

I took a swimming class in college(I figured---"Easy A!!)Part of that swim class involved learning to rescue someone drowning----I learned the victom---he's out there in deep crying out for help---but when help arrives(via rescue person)---the victom can become afraid of the rescuer-he'll go to grabbin' the rescuer---and start pulling him under!--so the rescuer, instead of swimming straight to the person----will swim a close circle around them and talk to them---"I'm here to get 'cha! Just relax! Don't struggle! Don't grab me---let me grab you!"

So--the one that should have been feared the least---was feared the most!

But notice the Life Guard's words in verse 27!! "But Straighway Jesus spoke unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid."

Notice something peculiar! Peter's response in verse 28

"And Peter answered Him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto Thee on the water." It appears as if there is doubt hanging here!

"IF it be Thou"

"IF"

Sometimes we look at that phrase and see doubt in Peter's voice---"If it be Thou"---"If"

But look back at what Peter actuilly is confessing---look at his confession---"Lord"---Supreme! Over all!

Peter had calculated! "Can't but one person in the seen and unseen world do what He's doing right now!" He narrowed the possiblity down to the only possibility---to the Lord of the sea, waves, wind, night---to the Lord of me!!!

So---Peter is commanded to "Come!" He gets out of the boat onto the water---onto---not into!!! He's walking on the word of Jesus!

Verse 29, "And he(Jesus) said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus."

Verse 30, "But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me."

Here's the good part! There'll be times in your life and mine---where we ARE offered opportunity to "walk on water"---times when we are actually going to Jesus and drawing closer and closer to Him! Every step stepped is stepped closer and closer to Him! Things appear to be going good!

I find sometimes---the closer we draw to Jesus---the more the world is gonna make its presence known!---it wasn't until Peter saw the wind boisterous---on his way to Jesus on top of the water---that he was afraid! We go to thinking---"This thing is way bigger than me! It gonna smash me like a bug!"

But hang on! Notice---that Peter "saw the wind boisterous!" Notice---he became afraid! He even began to sink! At the first---he's going to Jesus! And now---it appears as if he's going to the bottom!

Did he doubt??? Yes! But notice how quick he overcame that doubt!!

Verse 30, "But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid: and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me."

In the Fourth Watch---Jesus is the Lord over the sea! And He is the Lord over me!! Even when you are walking on water in the fourth watch---stepping toward Jesus----there'll be times when something else gets your attention---and causes you to sink----See??? Just because you're sinking---doesn't make you a failure! What makes you a failure is when you don't call on Jesus to save you!! When you get so full of pride and start saying---"I can make it on my own! No need to call on Jesus!"---If Peter had not called on Jesus at that moment---I believe he'd have sank like the Peter he was!!!!!

Remember earlier we said that Peter had narrowed the possibliities down to the only possiblity??? "Lord, if it be thou, bid me come to Thee on the water" Well, here too---real quick like---Peter narrows the possibilities of ever being saved from sinking down to the only possibility----Jesus as Lord was his confession!

In Your Fourth Watch----when you start to sink---call on Jesus---He'll save you!

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Let us keep our eyes on Jesus - alone!

Thank you Blackbird

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 8

Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

There are several covenants that are specifically named as covenants in the Bible, and others that are assumed to be covenants because of the interaction between God and man, but not specifically named as such. Over the next several devotionals we’ll look at the specifics of some of those covenants. (Note: Several is my third choice of words, I started out with two, changed it to three, settled in on several!)

1. God’s covenant with Adam. Scripture does not use the word covenant in the account of God’s promises and warnings given to Adam. However, it is assumed by most Bible scholars that God established something like a covenant with Adam.

Genesis 1:28-30, “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.” From this passage we gather that Adam and his posterity were to enjoy the blessings of God perpetually if Adam stood the test.

Genesis 2:16-17, “And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” This Scripture gives us the prohibition that God placed upon Adam. If Adam should fail this test, he would bring judgment and death upon the whole race. Paul explains the workings of this covenant in Romans 5:12-19, though the word covenant does not occur in this text either.

“Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification. For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”

In this text, Paul establishes that Adam was the “federal head” of the human race. Adam’s action in sin produced a human race that are born sinners. Before we chastise Adam in absentia, let us consider the truth that had we been in Adam’s place, we would have done the same thing he did. (Speaking for myself - I would have not waited as long as Adam waited [however long that was], before I sinned.) Also consider that Adam had a long human life (930 years) to think about the consequences of his sin, and I suspect to some extent, he continues to think of the consequences of his sin to this day.

Paul also reiterates the truth of the free gift of the gospel through Jesus Christ in the “Federal Head” text. Whereas Adam was the head of all who have sinned - which is every human being that has two human parents (more specifically - a human father), and his sin is passed on to each of us, Christ is become the head of all who have a Heavenly Father - through grace, by faith in His finished work at Calvary. [Note - I am aware that our first parents - who had no human parents - were both sinners - however they were not created in sin! All other human offspring, with the exception of Jesus Christ, are born sinners!] This covenant is often referred to as “The Covenant of Works.”

Thank you Father, thank you Jesus, for providing redemption for sin and its resulting condemnation that Adam introduced into the human race, the same sin and resulting condemnation that I am guilty of, and would have committed, had it been me in the garden, instead of Adam.

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an ardent Dispensationalist, I want to thank God for His covenants!

And that He included ME?? Wow!

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Monday, August 9, 2004

What 'cha gonna do today??? We can answer that in two words---Be Happy!!

"Yeh, thats what I'll do---I'll be happy!" Its a Monday! Brand new day! Brand new week! Kids back in school! Going to work!

I want to be happy!

But how??

Psalm 1 gives direction---God's "RoadMap" to happiness---blessedness! And depending on how we move to obey whats written---we can live on either side of the channel that delivers blessedness and happyness from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessedness/happiness in your "today" depends on what you do and don't do with Psalm 1:1-2

"Blessed(happy) is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night."

Simply this---the words "walketh", "standeth", and "sitteth"--gives us the idea of "favor"---of "leaning in that direction"

I think about ole Lot--Abraham's nephew! Moving on toward Sodom! I imagine one day he wakes up from the night---maybe him and Mrs. Lot aren't seeing "eye to eye" on an issue and Mister Lot says, "Man, I've got to talk with somebody about this! I need some direction here!"

Uncle Abraham is nowhere in sight!---so rather than send for his uncle's advise----he "spills the beans" to a Sodomite!

"Its my marriage! Me and Mrs. Lott just ain't 'clickin''---know what I mean??"

And that Sodomite tells Lot something like--"Man! Don't let her treat you like that! You the man in the family! Listen, here's what I do when my wife starts actin' like that---etc. etc."

Lot begins to leeeeeeeeeeaaaan in that particular direction! He tries out a little Sodomly advise when he gets in from work---and on the surface it works!! So, Lot is "walkin' in the counsel of the ungodly"-----

Compare that to a man named Enoch---who "walked with God"

And Lot became so engrained in the ways and walks of Sodom---that it took an army of angels from Heaven to drag him out of town when destruction came! In the end---he was what I call "One Unhappy Camper!!!"

The counsel of the ungodly---doesn't make a Born-again Believer "Happy"---rather---it makes him/her "Unhappy!"

Genuine happiness---genuine blessedness for the Believer is found in verse 2 of Psalm 1

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night."

I always like to think of God's Law as "God's How To" book!!

--how to start a marriage
    --how to save a marriage
    --how to start a family
    --how to save a family
    --how to make friends and be a friend
    --how, what, and when to eat
    --what to do when the kids start actin' like . . .
    --what about that arnery neighbor

There's an advertisement I saw in a magizine---some outdoor life---how to hunt, fish, build---you know, those smelly men's magizines you see at the Doctor's office---anyway,

The advertisement was for a particular wood glue---promising to be the strongest glue in the world! I think it was called "Gorilla Glue"

I got to thinking!!! God's Law is the "Gorilla Glue" for the soul---for the family---for the marriage---for Happiness! For Blessings! Get into the Law of the Lord Jesus! Lean in that direction---and when the Law's "Glue" grabs you---it won't let go!! And then when the devil takes you and hangs you over a spiritual cliff---you'll be glad/happy/blessed----that the glue(Law) held you tight!!! Amen???

7. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

If it's not in the Book - we don't need to know it!

Thanks Blackbird!

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 10

Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

2. God’s covenant with Noah.

Genesis 6:18, “But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.”

Genesis 9:9-17, “And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you; And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth. And I will establish my covenant with you, neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth. And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.”

I believe the Bible when it tells us that the entire world was covered with water. What a time of devastation. It appears that God even suffered devastation (extreme distress), as he destroyed all of the human race, save eight souls that entered the ark. I cannot imagine that large vessel being built without causing at least the curiosity of bystanders asking question. I also cannot imagine how depressing the hundred plus years of construction must have been. 2 Peter 2:5 tells us that Noah was “a preacher of righteousness,” but it does not appear that he ever gained one convert from his preaching. One of the positive results of the flood was the formation of most of our fossil fuels. But the loss of life because of sin still seems frightening.

Genesis 6:5-6 tell us, “And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.” What could possibly have inspired such wickedness? Certainly our old adversary the Devil and his minions had a large part in promoting such wickedness. Has it occurred to you that today’s young people experiment with drugs, sex, fast cars, etc. because they believe they are invincible - and nothing bad will happen to them! Perhaps the citizens of the earth in that day - folks who often lived in excess of 900 years - thought that the consequences of their sin was so far off in the future, that it did not concern them. We shudder to think of what kind of mischief a six year old can come up with, if left in the company of a few of their friends. What could the citizens of earth in Noah’s day come up with - when they had hundreds of years to think and plot about their sin!

God’s covenant with Noah simply promised that God would never again destroy the world with a universal flood of water. The next destruction of the earth will be by fire, 2 Peter 3:7. God continues to confirm this covenant with us, each time we see the rain bow in the sky.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

9. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan. Several months ago I watched back-to-back shows on the Discovery Channel.
    One dealt with the fact that there are places at higher elevations that show signs of massive water damage. The other show was concerning all of the DNA tests that they have ran on people and they have noticed something: Although everyone is different, it is a fact, because of so many similarities, that there had to have been a SUBSTANTIAL narrowing of the genetic pool, "a few thousand years ago."
    Now, of course, they looked for other explainations for these things, bur WE know what happened. The damage was caused by a world-wide flood that covered everything. And the genetic pool was narrowed alright: to Shem, Ham, Japheth and their wives.
    But don't expect the world to believe that.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noah preached 120 years and was a failure because he never won a soul to Jesus.

I've heard that. How sad.

Thanks for the good reminder of the truth!

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Psalm 1:1-3

"Blessed is the man that walketh no in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf als shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

I like that little phrase, "and in His law doth he meditate day and night"

Sometimes we think about God's law as a curse! We think, "Man, stay away from the curse!" So, it sometimes becomes the fartherest think from our minds and souls!

But the Apostle Paul says that God's Law is the Schoolmaster that brings us to Christ Jesus!

I remember back in Elementary school---learning those A B C's---the teacher would have those letters in a block row---and she'd take her "Yardstick" and point to those letters! All in unison we'd repeat as she pointed to each letter! I like to think of God's Law as---"Jesus' Yardstick" that points us to Himself!

The Law---if we think about it---shows us---not something we "cannot" do---but it shows us what Jesus came to do! He came to keep it---to the letter! So when I look at God's Law---I can say---"Jesus kept all of this!! He followed it to the letter!"

So, when I look at the letters of the Law---the Law being the Yardstick----I can look and see---that Yardstick is pointing toward Jesus! At the end of the Yardstick is somebody I need to know!

So---fill your mind---meditate on God's Law! And when somebody tells you--"Man! You can't keep that!"-----you can tell them, "You may be right! But Jesus did!" And when you fill your mind full of the Law----you know what you're really doing??

You're filling your mind full of Jesus and what He did!!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Some meditate on nothing - and get their minds filled with devils - we should meditate on Jesus and His Word - and get our minds filled with blessing.

Thank you Blackbird!

13. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 12

3. God’s covenant with Abraham. The covenants with Adam and Noah were directed to the entire human race. Sin plagues the entire human race because Adam violated God’s Law. Now before someone objects and says that the law didn’t come into being until Moses, let me quote Ezekiel’s clear restatement of God’s first law, “the soul that sinneth, it shall die.” (Ezekiel 18:4, 20) God has promised that He shall never again destroy the entire world with water, as He did in Noah’s day.

The covenant with Abraham concerns the nation of Israel, and involves the following promises:

* Abraham would be the father of a great nation - Genesis 12:1-3, “Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.”

* God would give this people an extensive land of their own - Genesis 13:14-17, “ And the Lord said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, then shall thy seed also be numbered. Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.”

* That land would be theirs forever - Genesis 17:8, “And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”

* The Redeemer would come through this line of descent - Genesis 17:7, “And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.” Paul gives us an inspired commentary on this verse in Galatians 3:16, “Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.”

* God would bless all the peoples of the world through this Redeemer - again Paul gives us an inspired explanation of what God promised Abraham, Galatians 3:8, “And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.”

* This covenant was repeated with Abraham’s two immediate descendants: his son Isaac and his grandson Jacob.
    Isaac - Genesis 26:2-4, “And the Lord appeared unto him, and said, Go not down into Egypt; dwell in the land which I shall tell thee of: Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father; And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.”

Jacob - Genesis 28:12-14, “And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the Lord stood above it, and said, I am the Lord God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.”

One of the several things God cannot do - is to renege on His promises.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, August 13, 2004

"Firmly Planted"

We've been looking at Psalm 1 and the characteristic of a Godly man(or woman--don't want to leave that out!!)

He doesn't make his company with the ungodly! He doesn't look their way! He doesn't sit in their seats! He doesn't keep their company! Rather---

Verse 2 says, "But his delight is in the law of the Lord: and in His law doth he meditate day and night."

What?? His delight is in the law of the Lord??? What does that mean?? Lots of confusion here??? Not really!!

See!! Many people buy into the lie that God gave us His law in order to "Punish" us!!

"You can't do this!"

"You can't go there!"

"You can't say that!!"

And there are a lot of folks today who are known "Fugitives" running from God's law!! They buy right in to the devil's lie!

But God's law was never designed to punish us! But rather to protect us and to promote us and to provide for us!

And the Godly man meditates on the Law of God! He fills his mind with the things of God. And then he "thinks on" the things that he has filled his mind with!!

Let me show you real quick---the results of a man who gives himself up----who "turns himself in to the Law" of God!!

Verse 3 says that he is gonna be firmly rooted!

"And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water"----the word "planted" points to the idea that the tree didn't just "happen" there---it was intentionally placed there by the river!

The word "planted" also means that the "Planter" intends for the person to "stay put"---don't be one to be "tossed around" or be pushed by the outside world!!

There's four or five youth boys at my church who play High School Varsity football!! Football season starts soon and when I get a chance to talk to 'um before or after Worship services---I tell 'um------"Don't let the other side push you around like you're wearing Roller Skates!!!"

Those football players wear those shoes with special "cleats" built into the bottom of the shoe for traction on the field! Those cleats dig into the dirt and grass---keeps the players from "slippin' and slidin'" when things get rough!

I got to thinking about that tree in verse 3 here!! The Godly man is "like a tree planted"---those roots going down---collecting that moisture from the river!! But those roots also serve another purpose!! They serve as the Tree's "cleats" that keep the tree from "slippin' and slidin" when things get tough! When worldly winds come---and blows the tops of the trees-----those "Hurricanes of Life" that'll rip and strip the leaves "clean off" the tree----but the roots have a "Bulldog Grip" on the Earth's dirt!

Meditate on the Law of God today, Friend!! See??? The Law of God---is God's "Football Cleats" we wear---to keep us from "slippin' and slidin'!" We'll hold firm---the Law will grip the ground for us----to keep the devil and his band of cheaters from "pushing us around like we're on roller skates!" It'll keep us from being "driven about by every wind of doctrine!"----

So---grab your "Cleats"---get into God's Law---and go on to the field!!

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

16. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 14

4. God’s covenant with the Jews through Moses.

Exodus 19:5-6, “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.”

Exodus 24:7-8, “And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the Lord hath said will we do, and be obedient. And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord hath made with you concerning all these words.”

Exodus 34:28, “And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.”

Deuteronomy 28:1-30:20 - I encourage you to read this passage, I’ll quote just a few of these verses, “And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God.” (Vers 1-2); “But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee.” (Ver15)

This covenant, like the one the God made with Adam, established blessings that were contingent upon obedience, and judgment for disobedience. This covenant is sometimes called the Deuteronomic Covenant, because of it’s extensive treatment in Deuteronomy.

5. God’s covenant with David.

1 Samuel 7:4-16, “And it came to pass that night, that the word of the Lord came unto Nathan, saying, Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the Lord ... But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.” (Vers 4-5, 15-16)

1 Chronicles 17:3-14, “And it came to pass the same night, that the word of God came to Nathan, saying, Go and tell David my servant, Thus saith the Lord ... I will be his father, and he shall be my son: and I will not take my mercy away from him, as I took it from him that was before thee: But I will settle him in mine house and in my kingdom for ever: and his throne shall be established for evermore.” (Vers 3-4, 13-14)

God clearly told David that He would establish his throne forever. When Messiah returns in His glory - He will sit on David’s throne and rule from Jerusalem for one thousand years.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

August 15, 2004

I took off with a bunch of Deacons---fishing in a catfish pond----I thought it would be "alright" to have a bunch of those guys hanging around me---I mean, what can go wrong with 8 or 9 of um there!! If my line gets "snagged"---they'll unsnag it! If it gets "tangled"--they'll untangle it!!

But we kept getting our lines caught in underwater brush and sticks!! We got the bright idea--"Hey! Lets go over to your house, Paul', and get your "underwater chainsaw" and just wack these underwater trees down to the "nob!"

Then I thought about Psalm 1 and the Godly man who meditates on the Lord Jesus' law! Jesus is the Lawgiver---we are the Law Receiver!!

Verse 3 of Psalm 1 tells us, "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither, and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

Verse 3 tells us that a Godly man who's meditating on the Law of the Lord is going to be a productive man! And his productivity will be a benefit and a blessing to others!! I've never seen an Orange Tree eating its own fruit! Rather---the fruit is always for the benefit of someone else. The fruit that the Holy Spirit bears in a Believer's life is for the benefit of those passing by!!

Notice something else in verse 3---"His leaf shall not whither." A whithering leaf on a tree is sign of invasion! Bug invasion! Fungas invasion! Sometimes whole orchids are infected! Nothing to do but push the trees in a pile with a Bulldozer and strike a match!

My Father-in-Law has a Peach Orchid and sometimes I get in on the insecticide spraying! I've learned through the years---that its best to spray the trees at the first sign of invasion!! This helps the tree to retain its strength to be fruit bearer! We learned to keep the insecticide "handy"!

Friend---keep the Law of the Lord nearby! Keep it handy! Meditate on it! Let it "soak" your tree(heart)---The fruit produced will be healthier and will be sweeter and last longer! Remember! You are here for the benefit of others!

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 16

Today we look at the final two covenants of our study.

6. The New Covenant. Jeremiah is the first prophet to use the words “new covenant.” It was obvious to him that Israel had not kept the covenant she had made with God at Mount Sinai. God promised Israel that He would establish a new covenant with her, and that she would have a changed heart, and would obey the Lord her God.

Jeremiah 31:31-34, “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Jeremiah 32:40-41, “Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land assuredly with my whole heart and with my whole soul. For thus saith the Lord; Like as I have brought all this great evil upon this people, so will I bring upon them all the good that I have promised them.”

7. The Covenant of Grace. The term is not found in the Bible, in fact, there is only one verse where the words “covenant” and “grace” are found together (Hebrews 10:29). This covenant is a theological term, as is the “covenant of works” which described the assumed covenant established between God and Adam. “Covenant of Grace refers to an agreement between God the Father and God the Son according to which the Father would give a numerous posterity to Jesus contingent upon the accomplishment of His atoning sacrifice on the cross.” (Boice)

Boice gives us a sense of the importance of covenants by reminding us that:

1. Our Bibles are divided into two covenants: the Old Covenant (or Testament) and the New Covenant (or Testament).

2. Each time we observe the Lord’s Supper, we remember Jesus words, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood” (Luke 22:20).

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

We've been looking at Psalm 1 and the "steadfast" stand that is made by the godly man---the man who has given himself to the delight of the Law of God! He meditates on the Law! He absorbs the Law! And at the same time, he is absorbed by the Law! Everything he does for the Lord Jesus is done on "the plus side of the Ledger."

Verse 3 says, "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

But notice how verse 4 takes off!!

"The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff whic the wind driveth away."

How many of us remember the days of the "un-cola?" I forget which soft drink company had that slogan. But this I did notice---it didn't take long for the other soft drink companies to follow suit!! Everybody coming up with an "uncola" of their own! The "uncola" is a drink that is void of caffene! No caffene! And usually the "uncola" is not "colored" like the usuals!

With the little prefix, "Un-" the definition of the word following is changed! And when we say the word "ungodly"---we can say that its meaning can be something like "void of everything that the godly man is." Would that be a good definition?? He's not---what the godly is!!?? The Godly man is filled with God's law!! The ungodly man is void of God's law!!

The Godly man is driven to God by God's law!! The law is what drives us to God!! Its our "Schoolmaster" that points us to Jesus! The Godly are on a firm foundation! He has a "grip" on the Grace of God!

The ungodly are not so---being void of God's law---they are easily driven by "every wind of doctrine" that comes along!

Ephesians 4:14 exhorts us "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to a fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive."

When I look at the verse in Psalm 1---the ungodly being described as "chaff driven by the wind"---I think about watching those old Western movies---and those "Texas Tumbleweeds"---that ole Texas wind is unrelenting and those Tumbleweeds rolling around the deserted streets of those "Ghost Towns"! Not going anywhere---no place to go! Uncertain of their destination! Whereever the wind so happens to take them!! Mindless on their own!!

Thats what I think about with the ungodly! Uncertain past! Uncertain present! Uncertain future! Just wherever the wind so happens to blow them!!

Friend---don't be driven today by "every wind of doctrine"----but be filled with the Law of the Lord Jesus! You can then be sure of your present! You can be sure of your future! Steadfast! Unmoveable! Sure! Certain!

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 18

Our text specifically says that this covenant is God’s, and He made it with Israel. It is an unconditional covenant.

Many of the covenants we’ve looked at in the past week were conditional - conditional because the human side of the arrangement was required to do something in order for God to keep His part of the bargain. Such a covenant is found in Deuteronomy 28. The promises of blessing were contingent upon Israel’s obedience. Notice verses 1-6, “ And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the Lord thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth: And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God. Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field. Blessed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy ground, and the fruit of thy cattle, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep. Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store. Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.” If Israel were to be disobedient, then God would judge them. Verses 15-19, “But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee: Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field. Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store. Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep. Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.”

In Genesis 15, God established an unconditional covenant with Abraham. God told Abraham to prepare for a covenant ceremony. Abraham took several animals, a heifer, a goat, a ram, a dove, and a pigeon. The large animals were cut in half and all were laid in order. The practice of the day was for each party of the covenant to stand in the midst of the divided animals and make their vows to each other. The inference was that the individual who broke the covenant would become as the dead animals.

The interesting part of this covenant is that God put Abraham into a deep sleep. Then God, symbolized by a “a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp .... passed between those pieces.” (Ver 17). God made this covenant with Himself, and this covenant was this unconditional promise to Abraham, “Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates.” (Ver 18)

“This was not a case of covenant making between equals in which, for example, God would promise to do something and Abraham, for his part, also would promise to do something. In this covenant, God made all the promises, and Abraham was not required to do anything.” (Boice) God made this covenant with Abraham, and reaffirmed is with Isaac and Jacob. In fact, God categorically stated in Genesis 21:12, “in Isaac shall thy seed be called.”

This same God, Who unilaterally made this unconditional covenant with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and their offspring, has again promised unilaterally and unconditionally that “... all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.” (Romans 11:26-27) This promise was made to Israel - not the church, and God will fulfill this unconditional covenant with Israel. May I add that if God does not keep this promise to Israel - then He is not God at all - but an impostor!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd