1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #5

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The immutability of God is not in question in my book! Thanks for the good reminder, Dano.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

August 19, 2004

Psalm 1

We've studied this verse in the context of the advantages one has in giving one's self to the Law of the Lord!

He walketh not!--in the counsel of the ungodly! He standeth not!---in the way of sinners! He sitteth not!---in the seat of the scornful! But rather his delight is in pleasing the Lord God!

He meditates in the Law! He absorbs the law! The Law absorbs him!

He's immovable! Like a tree! By the rivers of waters! His endeavers for the Lord God are always on the "plus" side of the Ledger!

vs. 1-3, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel fo the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper."

But notice just the opposite for the ungodly!! In the following verses---notice the words "are not" and "shall not."

vs. 4-5, "The ungodly are not so; but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. Therefore, the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous."

"Chaff" is the empty hulls of inmature wheat! Wheat that did not develope! The wheat is tossed into the wind---and the empty hulls are "caught up" in the wind and blown away! There's plenty of chaff! Full minds---but empty hearts---in society! In church! Hearts that are empty of the law that anchors us down to the Lord Jesus!

Notice that phrase, "the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment."----have you ever studied the miracles of the four gospels---Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John??? I've noticed this time and again! Ungodly "repentants" would throw themselves down at Jesus' feet--they would call out to Jesus, like ole "Blind Bart"---or they would "send for" Jesus like Jarius! I've always noticed----after their confession of guilt and sin and confession of Jesus as Lord and Savior---that Jesus would always "stand them up!"---He told the cripple man lowered down through the rooftop to "take up thy bed and walk"---IOW--"Stand up!" After He healed Peter's Mother-in-law, she stood up and then began to minister!

"The ungodly shall not stand in the judgment"---certainly, this is speaking future tense to that fiery judgment of the Great White Throne! But for the ungodly---its also speaking of present tense!

Friend, listen! Jesus is Heaven's Judgment! The Ungodly do not stand in His presense! There has to be that confession of sin and guilt---that repentance from self righteousness and pride----THEN---the Lord Jesus will "Stand them up!"

But there's a lot of folks---that when Jesus passes by---they just keep sittin'! Never confessing! Never able to stand in Judgment's presense!

Do you want to "stand in the judgment" today?? Fill your whole life with God's Law! Absorb it---and let the Law of the Lord absorb you! Throw yourself down in repentance and let Jesus Christ "stand you up"---and then "Plant you down" where you are by the rivers of water!!

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 20

Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

What has God promised the Jews in this covenant? He promised to take away their sins! There is only one way to take away sin - through the death of the Lord Jesus. The covenant of our text is not only unilateral and unconditional, it is a covenant of salvation, which means that it is also a covenant of grace.

The writer of the Book of Hebrews uses the word covenant many times! The author writes to the Jews to tell them that the old covenant, which required obedience but not the means to that obedience, has been replaced with a new covenant, which is mediated by Jesus and was provided for by His death. The author refers to the O.T. sacrifices and says such things as, “But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.” (8:6) and “And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.” (9:15)

Hebrews closes with this exhortation, “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” (13:20-21) Note that the everlasting covenant is through the blood! This book, written to Jews, makes very clear that there is only one way of salvation. Some have suggested that there are two tracks, one for the Jews, and the other for the rest of us! God only has one people, and they are all saved through the blood of His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. This people is composed of both Jews and Gentiles.

The covenant Paul states in our text has nothing to do with a separate people and a separate destiny. It does state that God will keep His promises to the Jews by “leading a mass of them to faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior in the final days.” (Boice)

Paul told young Timothy, “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.” (1 Tim 2:5-6) There is only one God, and there is only one way to God, and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ. Today, we live in “time of the Gentiles,” and when that “time” draws to a close, God will call to Himself, through His Son, the mass of the Jews, and they will be saved, as God has promised.

Amen!

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

4. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan. What a shock it will be to them when they know the truth.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. The blood of Christ did/is/will cleanse me from every sin!

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, August 21, 2004

"Wild Kingdom"
    Mark 1: 13

I started reading along in the first chapter of Mark and I found something that just sort of "grabbed" me!

Interesting---Mark's gospel account of Jesus' earthly ministry---unlike the other three---finds its "runway" with the ministry of John the Baptist. And Jesus is fixing to be catapulted into action faster than a Tomcat off the flight deck of the Teddy Roosevelt!!

Verse 9 of Mark 1 tells us of Jesus' baptism. I believe that Jesus' baptism was a "Profession" of something to come!

Jesus, as God in flesh, had no "sins to confess" like the others being baptised(v. 5, And there went out unto him all the land of Judea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptised of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins."

Rather, I believe that Jesus' baptism was a "profession" of something to come---Jesus was telling the people around Him---that there was coming a "death"---then there was coming a "buriel"---then there was coming a "resurrection"----notice what happens immediately after Jesus comes up out of the Jordan---signifying a resurrection to come!!!! vs. 10-11 tell us, "And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove decending upon Him. And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Here we see the "Threefold" Trinity getting together! Jesus, The Holy Spirit, and the Father with His proclaimation of good pleasure!!

Now, after His baptism, and after the threefold meeting, one would think that Jesus would march straight to the Temple! Man of that spiritual caliber deserves to be High Priest standing!

You would think that Jesus would return to civilized society---start mixin' and minglin' with the "upper Crust!" You would think that Jesus--being so "full of the Godhead bodily" would crave a crowd to preach to---"Boy, I've got a thing or two to tell them!" or "Man, oh, Man! They're all gonna LIKE me!!"

But instead

verse 12, "And immediately the Spirit driveth Him into the wilderness."

If you would allow me to mix/mingle a combination of "Redneck/Cajun" rough theology here in this verse above!!!???

Its as if the Holy Spirit was the "Limo Chaufer" --- Jesus gets in the back seat and says, "Take Me to where the action is!" And the Holy Spirit starts driving!! "OK, Man! Whatever You say!!!"

The "Limo Chaufer" drives farther and farther away from civilization and closer and closer into the middle of nowhere----slams on brakes---looks into the rearview mirror and says, "OK, Man! Here We are! In the middle of the action!!"

Welcome to Jesus' "Forty Days of Purpose!"

V. 13, "And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto Him."

There in the wilderness---Heaven's Word along with Heaven's word from the Word(the Bible) confront Satan---who from the beginning was a "defeated foe!"

What was Jesus' purpose?? 40 Days!!! To take the written word of God and to render the devil useless!

Next time you tell the Holy Spirit to "take you to where the action is"----and He drops you off in the Wilderness---and there ain't nobody around but the devil-----you have a purpose---"It is written . . .!"

7. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 22

Romans 11:27, “For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.”

God is faithful! If we have believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, we have an interest in God’s covenant of salvation with Israel. Not because we, the church, have replaced Israel, but because God’s faithfulness to Israel proves that He will also be faithful to us! The covenants we’ve looked at must be an encouragement to us! Dr. Boice writes, “Paul has been arguing for God’s faithfulness to the Jews as being consistent with His faithfulness to us, and now, having shown that ‘all Israel will be saved,’ he breaks into praise of God’s gracious attributes, since they affect us also.”

Through the rest of Romans 11 Paul is going to praise God’s mercy, knowledge, wisdom, judgments, and paths. He will close by saying, “to whom be glory for ever. Amen.” (Ver 36)

God is immutable - He does not change. “Because He does not change He can be counted on.” (Boice) In what ways does God not change? J. I. Packer lists six areas in his book “Knowing God:”

1. God’s life does not change. You and I, as well as every other created thing, have a beginning and an end – but God does not. His life is a constant datum. Think about these facts, then compare them to yourself! “God does not grow old or mature or weaken or grow stronger. God cannot change for the better, because He is already perfect, and He certainly cannot change for the worse.”

2. God’s character does not change. Consider what God revealed of Himself to Moses in Exodus 34:6-7, “And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.” “That is what God was like in the days of the Jewish exodus, and that is what He is like today. Sickness, old age, or adverse circumstances can destroy our good traits, but nothing like this ever happens to God. He can be counted on to be as kind, gracious, forgiving (and holy) as He always was.”

3. God’s truth does not change. What a blessing that should be to each of us. We have something that we can depend on. God’s Word is “rock solid!” The truths of the Bible do not change. What God wrote for us thousands of years ago, through the pen of holy men, is just as applicable, and fresh, and true today, as it was in the day that it was written. This timeless treasure that God has given us reveals to us all that God want us to know. We have no need of any other message, whether is it from man or angel, because we have God’s Word - the Holy Scripture.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Every good act of giving and every perfect gift continually comes down from above from the Father of Lights, with whom there is not variation or shifting shadow."
    James 1:17 GET Real Bible

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Monday, August 23, 2004

"It Must Have Been Monday Morning!!"

Mark 1: 12-13, And immediately the Spirit driveth Him into the wilderness. And He was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto Him."

You are going to be driven someplace today! Did you know that??? The word from the Word says that we as believers are to "walk even as He walked"---being driven by the Holy Spirit!!

I like to look at these verses and think--"It must have been Monday morning!"

The "Wilderness!"

"Temptation!"

"Wild Beasts!"

How did Jesus face all of that??? How did He face the Wilderness---root word, "Wild!!"

How did He face temptation??

How did He face the wild beasts??

Sounds like it was a Monday morning---back to work type senerio for us!! I hear folks say all the time, "Preacher! You just don't know what its like at my workplace!!" "You just don't know what those people over there are like!!"

How did Jesus face all of that?? Huh?? With a word from the Word! With a "It is written!"

No matter how wild your world is today---Jesus gives you the same power and the same word to overcome whatever circumstance!! Find in the Scripture what applies to your situation---and stand on that Promise!!

The word says that Jesus was "with the wild beasts!"

I remember my teenage years---one particular time my brother and I were into "Camping Out!"---by a river that ran behind our house about 2 miles away!! We'd walk back there and pitch those tents!

We had an uncle who loved to tease and "rock our mental boats!!"---he started talking about the "wild beasts" that were "lurkin'" with their beady eyes at us! About Bears and Wildcats that could rip through those tents "like Coleman started makin' 'um outta paper!!!"----we were 14 and 13 year olds---man, we didn't know!!!!!!

"We'll just zip the Door Zipper all the way up!"

"Doesn't matter how far up you zip it, Boys!! They'll find a way in!!"

Campin' almost became a thing of the past!!!

Friend, listen! Its Monday morning! Don't let what you did and who you worshipped yesterday---become a "Thing of the Past!" Bring Jesus along with you into your wilderness!!

I imagine Jesus out there with those wild beasts! The word from the Word says that God gave Man "dominion" over the beasts of the field! Doesn't it??? Well!!! As man, Jesus just took that particular verse and applied it to His way of living!! He just lived on the promise of that Promise!!

I about imagine it may have been like this for Jesus with the Wild Beasts!!

"Good Morning, Mister Panther! How are you??"

"Good Day, Mister Rattlesnake!"

The word from the Word says that Jesus was "with" the wild beasts!! Not "near" them! Not "close to" them! But "with them!"

But what made the difference was the word "in" Him!

Let the word of God dwell in you richly today!! Its Monday----but you can make it!! Amen??

10. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 22

We serve a faithful God. J. I. Packer, in his book “Knowing God,” lists areas in which God does not change. Last time we considered the first three: (1) God’s life does not change; (2) God’s character does not change; and (3) God’s truth does not change. Today we consider the final three:

4. God’s ways do not change. Packer writes: “He continues to act towards sinful men in the way that He does in the Bible story. Still He shows His freedom and lordship by discriminating between sinners, causing some to hear the gospel while others do not hear it, and moving some of those who hear it to repentance while leaving others in their unbelief .... Still He blesses those on whom He sets His love in a way that humbles them, so that all the glory may be His alone. Still He hates the sins of His people, and uses all kinds of inward and outward pains and griefs to wean their hearts from compromise and disobedience ... Man’s ways, we know, are pathetically inconstant – but not God’s.”

5. God’s purposes do not change. Boice writes: “The ups and downs of history do not frustrate God or cause Him to alter what He has determined beforehand to do. Has He planned to bring many sons and daughters into glory through faith in Jesus? Then He will do it. Has He purposed to bless Israel in a special way nationally? Then that will be done. What God does in time He has planned in eternity, and what He has planned in eternity is carried out in time.”

6. God’s Son does not change. What a blessed and comforting truth. Hebrews 13:8, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” Know this, “... he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him” (Hebrews 7:25).

When Oliver Cromwell was dying, he was overcome with spiritual darkness and depression, and in his despair he asked his chaplain, “Tell me, is it possible to fall from grace?” “No,” replied the chaplain. “It is not possible.” “Then I am safe,” said Cromwell, “For I know that I was once in grace. I am the poorest wretch that ever lived, but I know that God has loved me.”

I close with Question 1 and its answer, from the Heidelberg Catechism! “What is thy only comfort in life and in death?” “That I, with body and soul, both in life and in death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ, who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and redeemed me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must work together for my salvation. Wherefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready henceforth to live unto Him.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Wednesday, August 15, 2004

"Jesus Came . . ."
    Mark 1: 14-27

We won't look at each individual verse here in the text---but I want to point out to you just a couple of things that Jesus came to do!!

In verse 14 we are given dreadful news! A "Spiritual Eagle" had been shoved into a Canary's Cage---John the Baptist is incarcarated! Friend, you can shut one preacher up----but God will never leave us without a witness---for Jesus just steps in and goes on doing what it is He was sent to do!

V. 14-15, "Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God. And Saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent ye, and believe the gospel."

JESUS CAME . . . PREACHING SALVATION

The word here says that Jesus came preaching salvation! He was a messenger---of the good news! He was a messenger---of the Kingdom of God! OOOOHHHHHH----but He was more than just the messenger---He WAS the good news! He was the Kingdom of God! He was the messenger---but He was also the message!!

Notice verse 15 again at Jesus' formula for Salvation!!

It involves repentance!! "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent . . ." That means a turning away! A turn from self righteousness and sin!

In involves receiving!! "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of god is at hand; repent ye, and believe the gospel." Everywhere you see a repentance---there has to be a receiving of something else!! The truth of the Gospel was "that something else!" They were to repent of self righteousness and receive the righteousness that comes only from the Lord Jesus Christ!

Did you know that wherever you're at today---that you can be a "preacher of the Kingdom of God!" You can show people how to inherit the Kingdom of God! You can show them how to be saved! How to turn from sin in repentance and then receive the good news of Jesus Christ!

Think about somebody you know who may be lost! Pray that the Holy Spirit will work on their lives---leading them to conviction! Then pray the Holy Spirit will give you opportunity to speak with them and simply show them their need of repentance from sin and their receiving Jesus as Savior and Lord! Then take that opportunity!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 26

Romans 11:18-29, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

The Greek philosopher Heraclitus said, “It is impossible to step into the same river twice.” The point of his saying is that life is in a state of constant change. Though you can step into a river, step out, and a moment later reenter the same river, the water you first stepped into is gone, and the river at reentry is no longer the same. Heraclitus then asked, “But if that is so, how is it that things are not in a state of constant chaos?” His answer was that life is not chaos because the change we see is ordered change. The reason that it is ordered and not random is that the mind, reason, or order of God stands behind it. “To the Greek philosophers, God (or reason) was the only fixed point in an otherwise chaotic universe.” (Boice)

Heraclitus was not a believer in the true God, but had he lived in Paul’s day, and been able to read Romans, he could have easily understood our text. In the closing lines of Romans 11 Paul says that the “character, and therefore, also the plans of God do not change, regardless of the way human beings alter or behave.” (Boice)

Romans 11:28-32 is a summary of what Paul seeks to prove. Why had Israel seemingly been rejected by God and why had they rejected their Messiah. Paul’s answer - for the sake of Gentile conversions. Paul used the olive tree as an illustration of this truth. The Jewish branches had been broken off and the Gentile branches (from the wild olive) had been grafted in. The Jews had been set aside for a time so that salvation could be offered to the many peoples of the world.

This setting aside is only temporary - because once “the full number of the Gentiles has come in ... all Israel will be saved” (Romans 11:25-26). There is coming a time when there will be widespread Jewish conversions, just before the final judgment.

All this is summarized in our text! But how could Paul say this? Paul had witnessed the widespread Jewish rejection of the gospel, and he had seen the Jews set aside. Paul had also seen a widespread acceptance of the gospel by the Gentiles. But how could Paul possibly teach that there would be a future widespread acceptance of the gospel by the Jews. The only answer is the character of God. God’s character is unchanging, thus His plans for the Jews are unchanging - they are irrevocable.

“God chose the Jews to be His special people, and nothing that has happened since, or will happen, can change that choice or relationship.” (Boice) Leon Morris wrote, “God had made promises to Israel, and these promises would be kept. Israel’s refusal to accept the gospel did not mean either that the gospel was a failure or that God would not perform all He had promised to His ancient people.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Good points, than you Dan.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, August 27, 2994

"Strangers and Pilgrams"
    Hebrews 11: 13, "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

You know, the Bible has many "labels" that it puts on Believers in the Lord Jesus Christ! And two of those labels are found here---in their own confession! I was just wondering today---is this your confession???

The word says in verse 13 that they "confessed" that they(believers) were "strangers and pilgrims on the earth!" Did you know that Believers in the Lord Jesus Christ are not of this world?? That we belong in the world "to come!???"

I think about the word, "stranger"---and my mind goes back to watching those old "Western" movies! You know, they don't make "Westerns" like they use to, you know that????

The "Newcomer" will ride his horse into town--you've seen those Westerns)---and inevitably---the townspeople there will put a lable on him!!

"Where you from, Stranger???"

"What's your name, Stranger??"

"You ain't from around these parts are you, Stranger???"

What labels us as "Strangers???"

When we start walking and living our lives on Earth by the faith of the Son of God who loves us and died for us!!! When we abandon our walk by sight! When we abandon ourselves and depend upon the Lord Jesus Christ---we become "strangers!!"

What does it mean to be a stranger in this text??

Warren Weirsbe writes that a Stranger is one who is "away from Home!" Think about that!!

When a person repents of their sins and receives Jesus as their Savior and Lord---they begin a walk of faith---and will become a "Stranger" here on the Earth until the day that they "die in faith!"

Friend, listen! For the Born again Believer---this old world is our "Home away from Home" and we're HEADED Home!!!!

Notice back in verse 13 in our text! These Belivers in the context of the chapter all had a confession to make!!

The Bible says that they all "confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

The Book of Genesis mentions Enoch and his "walk with God"---and then Hebrews 11: 5 says that Enoch "pleased God"---Everywhere Enoch walked he walked there with God, pleasing God!!

I can imagine ole "En"---walking into the next town down----just walking with God and pleasing God!! I can imagine as he walks into town---just like those old "Western" movies---the Townspeople---the "Earth dwellers"---would see him---hot, dusty, thirsty, tired!!! Then they'd ask him, "You ain't from these parts, are you Stranger???"---to which ole "En" would confess--

"Sure ain't!!!"

Then they'd ask him---"What's your business here, Stranger??"

To which ole "En" would profess---"OH! I'm just here to please God!!"

You see?? While we're on this Earth---we must confess that we're strangers---we don't belong here!!! But nevertheless---on our way through---we also need to profess that we're here as God-pleasers!!

Is that your confession?? Stranger??

Is that your profession?? To please God??

I pray so!!

Have a good day, Stranger!!!

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 28

Romans 11:28-29, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

In the past we measured God’s faithfulness by His covenant relationship with Israel. Today we will begin to measure His faithfulness through His gifts and His call.

“Gifts is linked to the words call and covenant, which means Paul is thinking of the specific gifts given to the covenant people as part of that relationship.” (Boice) God gave gifts to Israel. Some of those gifts are listed in Romans 9:4-5, “Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.”

What does the term “call” refer to? Some say it refers to God’s effectual call, the call used by the Holy Spirit that leads one to salvation. That is the way the term is used in Romans 8:30, “Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.”

“However, this is probably not the right meaning here. In this verse ‘call’ is virtually synonymous with predestination or election. The meaning is not that God has called or will call the Jews to saving faith, though Paul is teaching that the mass of Israel will come to faith in the final days, but rather that God has chosen the nation to be a special nation for His purposes and that He will not, indeed cannot, abandon that choice because Israel has rejected the Messiah.” (Boice) That surely defines what faithfulness is all about.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan.
    God will be faithful, no matter what!

17. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

August 30

Romans 11:28-29, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

We serve a faithful God. Today, I am going to quote an imaginary conversation between a questioner and almighty God.

“But God! When you chose Abraham to be the father of a special people, didn’t you know that he would be weak in faith himself? Didn’t you know that he would step aside from his high calling and go down to Egypt, where he would be willing even to sacrifice the honor of his wife to save his own skin?”

“Yes,” says God, “I knew that. But I called him anyway, and my gifts to him and my calling of him were irrevocable.”

“But God! Surely you knew that the people who came along in the line of Abraham would be unfaithful. You gave them the law through Moses. But even Moses, great as he was, dishonored you by taking your glory to himself. He struck the rock contrary to your command, saying, ‘Must we bring you water out of this rock?’ (Num 20:10) You even kept him from entering the Promised Land as a result. Did you really take all that into account when you called the Jews to be a special people?”

“Yes,” God replies, “I knew what Moses would do. But my gifts and my call are irrevocable.”

“But God! What about David? David committed adultery with Bathsheba and even had her husband, Uriah, killed to escape detection. Certainly, if you had known what David would be like, you would have done things differently. Did you really consider David’s sin when you set your electing love upon this people?”

“Yes,” God answers, “I did, and my call is irrevocable.”

“But God! What about the kings who followed David? And the people who copied the debased morality of those kings? How could you have set upon such people an eternal love, expressed in an irrevocable covenant?”

“Your ways are not my ways,” says God. “I knew the people would be wicked. Everyone is wicked. ‘There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.’ I wrote that, remember. Still I have fixed my covenant love upon these people, and my call is irrevocable. My will for them has not changed.”

“But God! Surely your call must change in light of the way these people treated Jesus Christ. Jesus was loving and compassionate. His greatest offense was to be holy and to speak the truth. Yet they rejected Him. They hounded Him to death and eventually secured His execution on a cross between two thieves. If you had foreseen that, You would never have made the promises You did. Or now, having seen their treatment of Jesus, surely You will repudiate whatever relationship You did have with them. Surely You are going to cast them off forever!”

“No,” God replies. “I know the end from the beginning. I knew how it would all turn out. Yet, in spite of what they did, I set an irrevocable love upon them.”

As I said in the beginning, we serve a faithful God!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

18. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan. So much for open theism huh!

19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Just noticed this in the common ground coffee house:

Blackbird and I have discussed the idea of asking someone to join us in writing this devotional. Specifically - we are looking for someone who would be willing to write the Saturday and Sunday devotionals - and help out when either Blackbird or myself are unable to write during the week. Blackbird writes on the odd days - and I take the even days.

If you are interested in joining us - PM me.

I'll post the Sept 2 devotional later on this evening.

Dan Todd

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 2

How does this passage, a prophetic passage written about the Jews future, affect us? Most of us are Gentile-Christians, who are members of the body of Christ (the Church). What relevance is there to us?

Boice writes, “As Leon Morris said, this is not an example of Paul’s Jewish patriotism, but rather an outworking of his doctrine of justification. And because he is basing his conclusions on the character of God, everything he emphasizes about God’s dealings with the Jews is for us, too.” Previously we’ve looked at God’s immutability - the fact that God does not change. We are now looking at God’s faithfulness.

Arthur Pink wrote a book in which he discussed seventeen great attributes of God. He later expanded that list of attributes to twenty-five and added twenty “excellencies” of Jesus Christ. One of those attributes that Pink discusses was faithfulness. Pink suggested three ways that God is faithful:

1. God is faithful in preserving His people. Reformed or Calvinistic theology refers to this as the perseverance of the saints. Boice states that this can be understood in two ways. “It can mean that the saints persevere, or it can mean that God perseveres with the saints.” Both statements are true, but the first is only true because the second is true. God said, “I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Heb 13:5), and Jesus said, “lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world” (Matt 28:20).

There are four New Testament passages that teach the perseverance of the saints, two from the Lord, and two from Paul.

John 6:37-40, “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

John 10:27-30, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.”

Romans 8:31-39, “What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Philippians 1:6, “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.”

These texts promise us that God is faithful and that His call is irrevocable.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd